Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    3550idn c1010 cassette failure

Re: 3550idn c1010 cassette failure

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    3550idn Frame busted

ticking sound fs-4300 and Ecosys M3550idn

The gear post broke. You have to tear it apart.

Just replace with a ct-3100 cassette. It's spring loaded. Tell customer it was an update.
    I just tried putting the spring loaded cassette in an M3550idn and I'm still getting the "error in cassette 1" failure.

I broke off the piece on the left side of the cassette that was preventing it from going into the machine.

When I insert the cassette the lift motor runs and the error happens. What am I missing?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

the lift sensor at the feed roller assy needs to be satisfied by the paper pressing upward. remove the spring from the assy to ensure that it can be satisfied more easily.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    3550idn c1010 cassette failure

Quote Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post
    the lift sensor at the feed roller assy needs to be satisfied by the paper pressing upward. remove the spring from the assy to ensure that it can be satisfied more easily.
    Sorry, but no. Removing the spring in the feed roller assy with result in odd jams, slow printing.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Sorry, but no. Removing the spring in the feed roller assy with result in odd jams, slow printing.
    That's only true if you're still trying to use the motorized-lift cassette.

The spring-lifted machine uses no spring in the feed unit, replicating that design with this modification will be the path to success. There will be steady pressure applied between the top sheet and the feed roller by the spring, where if it were a motorized cassette and the spring were missing, pressure would be intermittent as the motor lift only occurs when the feed unit drops out of the photo-interruptor.

I've done it several times in my fleet of M-series desktops without issue.

Come to think of it... that could be how the motor assy broke in the first place... sensor malfunction causing it to lift forever til something gave. that's quite the gear ratio going-on in there.

CopierJanitor/Geargluer 50+ Posts skinnypuppy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post
    That's only true if you're still trying to use the motorized-lift cassette.

The spring-lifted machine uses no spring in the feed unit, replicating that design with this modification will be the path to success. There will be steady pressure applied between the top sheet and the feed roller by the spring, where if it were a motorized cassette and the spring were missing, pressure would be intermittent as the motor lift only occurs when the feed unit drops out of the photo-interruptor.

I've done it several times in my fleet of M-series desktops without issue.

Come to think of it... that could be how the motor assy broke in the first place... sensor malfunction causing it to lift forever til something gave. that's quite the gear ratio going-on in there.
    I know this post is a couple of years old but what model does the ct-3100 cassette come from and is it a pf unit or the main cassette for the model
    Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

ct-3100 is the cassette for the lesser model M3040idn/M3540idn which does not employ a lift motor for lifting the paper. It uses a strong coil-spring instead for lifting up the paper.

the PF, and the higher model copiers use a motor to lift the paper, which are prone to breakage of the motor gear-reduction section, or even the cassette itself when paper becomes poorly stacked.

So, I keep CT-3100 cassettes from used machines in order to fix broken motor-lift models with really good success.