Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ecosys M6535cidn C4600 code

Hi Guys,

Once again, I'm reaching out for answers, hints, and/or tips for an issue with a Kyocera M6535cidn, and a 4600 code, i.e., Scanner Cleaning Motor Error. I've done the small mylar strips modification on each side of the scanner glasses, so the brushes have a slightly easier ride over the top of the scanner glasses. I've replaced the Scanner Cleaning Motor. I have good continuity on the motor harness. I checked and double checked connectors an even replaced the Left Inner Duct, which houses the Scanner Cleaning Motor, and all it's little gears that mesh with the LSU units gears, that turn the spirals, that move the cleaning brushes. I've given each gear a very small dollop of lube, and verified the worm gear on the motor is not bound, and can move freely, and can turn each worm gear on the Inner Duct. The only thing I haven't replaced, is the Engine Relay PWB, so says the manual, is my next step in correcting the issue. However, in my experience, a board usually isn't the cause of a lot of error codes. However, I have been wrong before, and more than likely, will be again, at some point in time.

Still, the C4600 code comes back when powering up the printer.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Ecosys M6535cidn C4600 code

I would say that since you have done everything else, either contact your local rep, or replace the board. It's really the only options left.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ecosys M6535cidn C4600 code

Ok. Here's my theory ... and I'm sticking with it, regardless of how unlikely it is.

Laser slit glass cleaners.JPG

Other than being really dirty, this is how you want your laser slit glass cleaner to look. Notice how the spring is compressed a bit, and the cleaner is subsequently slightly askew? That's perfect!

I think what happens is sometimes there is not enough length to that spring, so when the cleaner reaches the blank area on the screw shaft, it either cannot get started again, or it crossthreads and stalls the motor. If there is just a little spring pressure, the cleaner can get properly restarted onto the threads.

It reminds me of corona wire cleaners of the past, except the manufacturer went cheap and wouldn't buy two limit switches. So the motor just runs for a certain number of microseconds, overdrives just a bit, and skips a couple times at the blank end, then reverses in the same way.

I entirely agree with the previous measures that you have taken: Cleaning, greasing the worm gear, and add to that: if the springs aren't under pressure at both ends, give them a little stretch.

An alternate choice is just to remove one of the drive gears for the laser cleaners. Since it has no way of determining if it actually travelled, only turned for so many microseconds, you could theoretically just disconnect the drive. The drawback is that it does not clean the slit glasses, so you'll have to manually remove the drums and developing units more frequently, and manually clean the laser slit glasses. I personally have not yet resorted to this last choice. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We have just taken off the gears as Blackcat mentioned. After trying numerous things on more than one machine including replacing the laser scanner unit more than once on one problem machine. Yes you will get calls for light copies and light streaks but going and cleaning the glass was better than continual error codes.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Just pull the left cover off and unplug the motor.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

We have faced this issue countless times. The problem we found with this is that when the cleaners try to move up onto the glass on the laser unit, they are all four trying to do this at the same time. The motor is not strong enough to make this happen, especially if there is some additional load on it (dirty gears in the drive or normal wear and tear on the system). What we have done is add some mylar pieces to the ends of the laser glass to help with this situation (see link to video below). This along with cleaning the glass and mylars with Brillianize or RainX to help lubricate them has fixed the problem in many machines. If the machine has already coded out a few times, the cleaning motor will have to be replaced and occasionally we have had to replace the engine relay board also. We have had a lot of success with this so far. Hope this helps some of you out there.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bn...ZO9ccRJiJP0WL5

Expecting a call. 100+ Posts Paper_Jam's Avatar

As a previous post said just pull the left cover off and unplug the motor.