Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

CS 5002i loud noise

Had a customer call in for a loud noise on their CS 5002i. These have been solid machines for us, so I wasn't expecting anything serious. After taking several drive units off the machine, I discovered that the "Parts Box Waste Assembly" (302NK94010) was locked up causing the gears driving it to skip and make a bunch of noise. Has anybody else had this issue? We tried to overnight a new one yesterday but they were on backorder. That's usually not a good sign.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    CS 5002i loud noise

Re: CS 5002i loud noise

Yes. But not what you want to hear. It appeared the bottle wasn't turning so the waste toner backed up into the main drive. The bottle just rattled, I could assist it by hand but on it's own it wouldn't turn ok. Tried different bottles.

The main drive (which transports waste toner) was backed up and thereby grinding gears against the feed unit.

I ordered the entire waste section (which comes with a new bottle) and installed it but then I was getting "cover not closed" errors. Turns out the new ass'y was bad out of the box. To verify I connected the old one back up and it just started working again. I hate when that happens, I have no idea what I did, what fixed it. Took several hours. But it's been working for a few months now.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CS 5002i loud noise

Waste toner is augered from behind the black drum across the back of the machine to the waste toner bottle assembly. The drive to the waste system comes from the same drive unit that drives paper feed. You need to check and see how far the backup goes into that system. The bottle assembly itself has very little space to cram toner into. Yes I've had most of this system apart on a few occasions. Usually customer causes by forcing a bottle in the wrong orientation tears up the sealing pads.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Alexkyocera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Yes. But not what you want to hear. It appeared the bottle wasn't turning so the waste toner backed up into the main drive. The bottle just rattled, I could assist it by hand but on it's own it wouldn't turn ok. Tried different bottles.

The main drive (which transports waste toner) was backed up and thereby grinding gears against the feed unit.

I ordered the entire waste section (which comes with a new bottle) and installed it but then I was getting "cover not closed" errors. Turns out the new ass'y was bad out of the box. To verify I connected the old one back up and it just started working again. I hate when that happens, I have no idea what I did, what fixed it. Took several hours. But it's been working for a few months now.
    Bro I feel your pain same exact thing happened to me after replacement, its crazy, I had to reconnect all connectors and U906 and removed and reinstall the shaft that activate the sensor for the main door.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Alexkyocera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    Waste toner is augered from behind the black drum across the back of the machine to the waste toner bottle assembly. The drive to the waste system comes from the same drive unit that drives paper feed. You need to check and see how far the backup goes into that system. The bottle assembly itself has very little space to cram toner into. Yes I've had most of this system apart on a few occasions. Usually customer causes by forcing a bottle in the wrong orientation tears up the sealing pads.
    Any possible fix??? We been replacing gears and waste toner assy on the drive unit and the shaft and pin. Whats the root cause for the toner to back up, im still trying to find a fix

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I found once the waste toner assembly housing was deformed(incompletely engaged tabs/clasps) at the machine rear end, which caused the gear to only partially engage the waste container gear so that I could turn the container by hand while installed. Lucky for me, I didn't have any damage to the waste auger system or transfer belt cleaner during that episode!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CS 5002i loud noise

Quote Originally Posted by Alexkyocera View Post
    Any possible fix??? We been replacing gears and waste toner assy on the drive unit and the shaft and pin. Whats the root cause for the toner to back up, im still trying to find a fix

Almost all of our issues were traced back to the user damaging the system by forcing either the waste toner or toner bottle in incorrectly. Customers can get really creative in ways to destroy copier mechanisms.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts masterchill's Avatar

This is a known issue by Kyocera. They are working on a fix. We have had several go bad b/w and color. Replaced the waste box assembly and the drive gear assembly for the fuser also gets taken out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by masterchill View Post
    This is a known issue by Kyocera. They are working on a fix. We have had several go bad b/w and color. Replaced the waste box assembly and the drive gear assembly for the fuser also gets taken out as well.
    Having this same problem today on a 5002ci. Had a C2840 error, 906 cleared it, then have a loud noise when engine cycles, UI screen has a waste bottle warning but not a replace now message. I saw this problem on a Xerox model where the threshold count for waste was set too low at the factory and waste toner would back up and jam the whole auger system. Xerox had us go into the NVRAM and change the threshold for the waste toner. I'm looking up a similar procedure for this model because this same problem has happened 3 times on this particular unit now.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Yep, I know the issue well. I've trained my ears to listen for the waste bottle motor to turn after the copy/print process has completed. The waste bottle motor is the last thing you'll hear. It turns a few seconds longer after everything has come to a complete stop.

I've also ordered the gear on the feed drive unit that mates with the gear at the end of the waste toner carry unit, just so I'll have one if it's chewed up.