Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

WB Mason paper causing problems.

Hi Folks..

We are having a lot of problems with WB Mason paper coating the charge rollers rapidly ( 20-50 K )with a white substance . Seems they are using some type of clay wash or coating on their ultra white paper that is causing excessive dusting. . This substance does clean off the rollers with plan water.

So my question to all...Has anybody experienced this same problem and has anybody come across any articles or publications confirming this problem . I would love to show something published indicating that WB Mason can cause problems with copiers.

Thanks Much...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: WB Mason paper causing problems.

They're just the distributor that slap their name on the packaging. They don't manufacturer the paper. They might need to hear from you so they can pass it along to the supplier.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts masterchill's Avatar

Yeah we are also finding that it will also coat the feed rollers as well. Our rep confirmed they have seen this issue as well.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

After 40+ years in this business we went in full circle and are back to bad paper causing issues. Back in the day we blamed paper for everything even though most of the time it was the machine. Actually I think the quality of paper back than was much better than today's paper being sold. Good ole Hammermill saved my ass a many times, machine jamming every 3-5 pages, customer says "no way it's the paper, get this POS machine out of here!", I would walk in with my ream of hammermill and run 200 pages not one jam! Put their paper back in and jammed after 3 pages. LOL, love the look on a customers face after they abuse you like that and then are wrong.

By the way I think all the paper is crap, not just WB. Even my good ole Hammermill has gone down but still like better than Staples & WB. Unfortunately you can only suggest to a customer they switch paper suppliers. Unlike generic toners where you can actually put into your service contracts it will void contract if used. Can't do that with paper.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I haven't seen that problem but if there's one paper that jams a lot it's WB. I think there is a very high moisture content in it and when the humidity come out here in the north east it just acts as a sponge. I get my customers that use it to run LTRR. Unfortunately, it's much cheaper so customers like school districts use it because of the price.