Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: 4002i / 5002i / 6002i toner section grinding noise

Instead of KYO bulletin 2ND-0092 (I059) sometimes my own solution can be helpfull.
    (Takes not so much time, easier work...)
    Regarding waste toner stucking, change WTB unit, since rev. 3 /(302ND94223) it`s solved.
    The amount of claims regarding this issue decreased dramatically.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Update on this thread,

No solution found yet.

I believe the problem both of the bulletins provided by kyocera are only related to toner drive unit and that is not where we are have grinding. The grinding is coming from the waste auger unit going to the waste toner bottle, hardened toner locks the auger up and it grinds as the main drive unit tries to push the gear of the auger unit.

We are constantly having to go back (every 2 weeks to 2 months) to the same locations (about 10 or 12 in all) replacing waste toner augers and Transfer belts since it seems that the hardened toner is coming from the belt and hardening in the exit of the transfer belt.

Anyone else having these problems? What are your solutions?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    4002i / 5002i / 6002i toner section grinding noise

If you have fused toner in the cleaning augers, I would suspect that the internal temperature (and perhaps outside temperature also) is too high. I would check fan filters, fan direction (pointed the right way), and fan operation.

Years back we had a bunch of Canon NP-6050 series analogs that the toner in the drum cleaning unit would fuse solid and break the gears on the front of the drum cleaning unit. Removing the ozone filters was not quite enough. On a few machines I took the large two-speed fan in the bottom of the machine and tucked it away in a corner (the controller board monitors the current to that fan and would error out if the fan was disconnected), then I installed a high speed muffin fan 100vac into the main duct. The new fan was wired to run whenever the main switch was on. Other than being a little noisy it solved the issue. Later on Canon came out with a mod circuit board to put in line with the original fan to run at high speed most of the time (like mine).
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

did you replace both the WTB unit waste box assembly and the inter unit ( unit attached to the back of the main drive)
    replace both at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by ngable20 View Post
    Update on this thread,

No solution found yet.

I believe the problem both of the bulletins provided by kyocera are only related to toner drive unit and that is not where we are have grinding. The grinding is coming from the waste auger unit going to the waste toner bottle, hardened toner locks the auger up and it grinds as the main drive unit tries to push the gear of the auger unit.

We are constantly having to go back (every 2 weeks to 2 months) to the same locations (about 10 or 12 in all) replacing waste toner augers and Transfer belts since it seems that the hardened toner is coming from the belt and hardening in the exit of the transfer belt.

Anyone else having these problems? What are your solutions?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'll chip in on the waste toner clogging. The toner hopper noise is addressed in a bulletin.

The problem usually begins when the waste container stops rotating. The user forces the container in wrong or too hard and the housing of the WTB unit gets spread apart at the very rear of the machine. You can see it if you look carefully but it takes a trained eye. Replacing the WTB unit fixes the non rotation but there is another, easier way.

Replace the clogged waste toner assembly on the main drive unit along with the pf drive section gear that breaks. Then run the machine with the waste toner door open to check if the waste container is turning. It probably won't be.

Remove the paper drawer so you can get to the sheet metal beside the waste container from inside the machine. Reach all the way to the rear and give it a thump and the WTB unit will pop back into place. Verify the waste container is turning before you leave these machines.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I think I will stay away from this model, the last thing I want is a waste toner problem. I thought these type problems were gone 20 years ago.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    If you have fused toner in the cleaning augers, I would suspect that the internal temperature (and perhaps outside temperature also) is too high. I would check fan filters, fan direction (pointed the right way), and fan operation.

Years back we had a bunch of Canon NP-6050 series analogs that the toner in the drum cleaning unit would fuse solid and break the gears on the front of the drum cleaning unit. Removing the ozone filters was not quite enough. On a few machines I took the large two-speed fan in the bottom of the machine and tucked it away in a corner (the controller board monitors the current to that fan and would error out if the fan was disconnected), then I installed a high speed muffin fan 100vac into the main duct. The new fan was wired to run whenever the main switch was on. Other than being a little noisy it solved the issue. Later on Canon came out with a mod circuit board to put in line with the original fan to run at high speed most of the time (like mine).

I remember those good old days...and a trainee tech that had 17 screws left of after replacing a 6050 auger...needless to say I had to find where most of those 17 screw went..and not in the bag as was his idea

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scottb View Post
    I remember those good old days...and a trainee tech that had 17 screws left of after replacing a 6050 auger...needless to say I had to find where most of those 17 screw went..and not in the bag as was his idea
    Those are called "bush screws," because you throw them in the bushes on your way out to the next call.

Technician

You might want to check bulletin 2ND-0117 (I196). Sounds a lot like what you're experiencing. I had to replace the waste toner assembly because the waste toner rocked up and broke drive gear Y in the feed drive unit in a color machine.

Additionally, check the drum for little rocks of waste toner that could make it's way into the waste toner assembly. When I replaced the assembly, I discovered several drums that had bits of rocked toner.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

always "nice" to get informations from other markets about this problem.
    I remember discussion with japanese lifecycle manager and me about stucking waste in waste drive unit.
    He told me that only KDJ and we are facing this problem.
    It don`t happens in other markets/ countries...
    It`s beginning at approx. > 650g weight from waste box. Full detectioon from controlling needs 820g.
    Waste is stucking in waste box, can`t forwarded to the front anymore because of new special weight from the waste.
    Paperdust, humidity is "blowing" up the amount and the small integrated rips from the waste bottle can`t forward the waste....
    From my experience we have less problems since system production from beginning 2019.
    The japanese guy told me that modificatios would done on (we call it) Bazooka and waste drive itselfs.(parts WTB unit SP + parts box waste assy SP)
    I think problem starts because "Disuse of Waste Toner Full sensor on parts box waste assy" bulletin 2ND-0093 (I069) since 2018-04
    They didn`t found the reason for more often C7980 and they decided to remove this sensor.