Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

4002i / 5002i / 6002i toner section grinding noise

Hey all

We have several models of this series making grinding noise in the toner hopper area. We have heard there are certain bulletin/QA's that might address this problem but have not been able to locate them on KDA / Copystar Central service portal. Does anyone know which QA might address this, Any help?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: 4002i / 5002i / 6002i toner section grinding noise

What immediately comes to mind is QA .2ND-0006(G127). If you moved these machines without removing the waste toner bottles you will have a ton of work to repair them all.

"In case of moving or transporting the machine without fixing the waste toner box (the waste toner box is kept in the machine), due to the vibration when moving, the frame might be deformed"

Good thought, we have dealt with that issue before and it doesn't seem to be that.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GeneOR95 View Post
    What immediately comes to mind is QA .2ND-0006(G127). If you moved these machines without removing the waste toner bottles you will have a ton of work to repair them all.

"In case of moving or transporting the machine without fixing the waste toner box (the waste toner box is kept in the machine), due to the vibration when moving, the frame might be deformed"
    The waste toner forwarding unit on the drive unit will get bound. Needs to be empties and cleaned. Verify with U030 main motor test. Look under service Navi for the bulletins for this machine.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

We have had only a few and it was either right after toner was replaced or on setup of equipment. I noticed that the toner drive was turning but the bottle had stopped turning. I put some pressure on the bottle close to the drive and the noise stopped AND the bottle would turn (I removed the covers to get a better view).
    I replaced the toner bottle with a new one in all instances and the noise went away. I am trying to see if the bottles get a slight deformation in them that causes the bottle to shift away from the drive just enough to stop them from turning. I really can't see what is wrong with the bottles but as I said, in all instances replacement of the toner with a new one corrected the loud grinding noise.

As for the waste toner bottles, My thoughts are they should not be shipped pre-installed in the equipment. I replaced several right out of the box because they wouldn't stay in. After they were replaced, they didn't give me any issues. We did replace about 3 waste toner assemblies early on for similar issues but now I wonder if that measure was really necessary.

I've come across techs who forget to take the plug out of a new dev unit's entry port backing up the toner and causing issues.
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Technician

I've had two of these machines with waste toner blockages, both had around 400K on them.

On both, the augur in the waste toner assembly had ceased. found compacted waste toner blocking the augur from turning. it was as hard as rock and the size of small stone chippings.

I had to remove the main drive unit and detach the waste toner assembly from the back of that to clear it out completely.

One of the machines started straight into a C2810 - Waste toner motor error. The other was just grinding on the augur gear.

once the waste toner assembly was cleared the machines have been working away without issue.

just something to keep in mind with this model/family. we are using genuine toner and the machines are in clean, warm offices.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ngable20 View Post
    Hey all

We have several models of this series making grinding noise in the toner hopper area. We have heard there are certain bulletin/QA's that might address this problem but have not been able to locate them on KDA / Copystar Central service portal. Does anyone know which QA might address this, Any help?
    2ND-0092 (I059) This is the bulletin that you are looking for.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Is this waste toner a serious problem? I am considering buying one for resale but don't want a nightmare waiting to happen. I looked at the tech pub and it looks like a nightmare.
    Have they been generally a good series?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    4002i / 5002i / 6002i toner section grinding noise

It's a fine model but the waste system is complicated. Any clog can backup into the transfer belt and main drive of the machine. It doesn't take long for these clogs to compact and become charcoal. Of course at this point we have extremely loud gear skipping. The waste drive is borrowed from the paper feed assy so it can be confusing at first as to the source of the binding.

I would not use empty K toner as a waste bottle. It's designed to work that way but I don't trust it.