Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Reliability of the 02 series VS the 01 series machines

Hi All..Its the start of the new school year and Im dealing with the typical problems associated with it. I have a handful of schools with 7002\8002 machines consuming most of my service department's time lately. They have 2M to 3.5M on it in less than two years and I don't know if they are up to the task. The customers are expecting the reliability of their old 01 series machines that we removed with about 5M after 3 years. We perform the PM's at the prescribe intervals and don't take shortcuts in our repairs. I know that a new design will have issues but lately its seems that we can't repair this stuff without replacing boards or sections. We are dual line dealer and have Ricoh's outputting the same volume at schools but without the recall rate that we are having with the Kyocera's.

The Ricoh's have there Achilles heel but their data base is rich enough to help the average tech repair the machine on the first or second try. The Kyocera data base is IE only and a joke at that. Sorry Kyocera fans but if you have access to or are a dual line dealer you will know what Im talking about. The Kyocera hot line guys are very good but it would be nice having a easy to use data base that is supported by other web browsers.

The units are doing 80% duplexing and they use the MP tray a lot for card stock. Does anyone have these machines performing as well as the older 01 series machines at this volume?

Any input will be appreciated.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Reliability of the 02 series VS the 01 series machines

I only have the one 8002 in the field at a client doing 4million a year all duplexed. The first one went to 4 million, had a kit changed and from then had he issue with the transfer belt running off. Unfortunately this was six months before the bulletin and we couldn’t find a fix. The machine was swapped out. The second machine has now done 5 million and apart from a couple of drum/dev or fuser premature failures has pretty much gone kit to kit.
    The client previously ran an 8000i to ten million, then an 8001i to 12 mill. In my opinion (leaving out the tr belt issue) the 8002i is a much better machine in every respect. So much faster to process, zero issues with paper path and consumables that generally go the distance. The only bad wear area has been the document finisher that had wear on a paper sensor @ around 7 million
    Really happy with the current machines performance and so is the client.