Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Question Top cover switch shenanigans

So, I was working on ECOSYS P3055dn where i replaced clutches to resolve paper jams. I replaced those countless times, and never had this happen on any Kyocera device. After putting everything back together, the printer doesn't power on. I figured out it was due to the top cover (interlock) switch. Opening the top cover, it powers on and (of course) asks to close top cover. Once I press that switch, the power cuts off as if you would pull out the power cable. I managed to find a spare switch, but i got the same result with it.

top cover switch 2.jpg

I know that eventually it's gonna come down to engine pwb (since the switch connects to it), or maybe the power source pwb. What i really want to know here is why? What could have caused this switch to kill power here? The 24V are present, and I've triple checked boards, wiring and connectors. The only difference here are the three new clutches (registration, and two on the drive feed).

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Top cover switch shenanigans

This is not meant to be sarcastic. I have worked on many different models over the span of my career, and Kyocera machines are the most fickle when it comes to reasembly. I often find myself saying " what did I do" . Good luck. It's time check all connections for a 5th time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Well it may be pinched or shorted wires somewhere else.
    When you close top cover(activate switch) there will be some initialization of various parts. I will start checking timing charts in Service Manual to see what they are and try to trace them out.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Top cover switch shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Well it may be pinched or shorted wires somewhere else.
    When you close top cover(activate switch) there will be some initialization of various parts. I will start checking timing charts in Service Manual to see what they are and try to trace them out.
    Exactly my thought. Typically door interlocks take 24vdc and send it back to the controller. The controller then applies that same 24vdc to other components. If perchance somebody (not you of course ... but SOMEBODY) were to pinch a clutch wire to frame ground, that person would get very similar symptoms to what you're seeing.

It's time to re-do what you did, and make sure the right connectors got plugged into the right components, and no wires got pinched to frame ground. Also check that you're new clutch does not meter from either lead to frame ground. There may be an internal short in your new clutch. Simply unplugging the clutches may be the simplest diagnostic tool.

These sort of issues are satisfying to diagnose, assuming you do find the culprit. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Top cover switch shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Exactly my thought. Typically door interlocks take 24vdc and send it back to the controller. The controller then applies that same 24vdc to other components. If perchance somebody (not you of course ... but SOMEBODY) were to pinch a clutch wire to frame ground, that person would get very similar symptoms to what you're seeing.

It's time to re-do what you did, and make sure the right connectors got plugged into the right components, and no wires got pinched to frame ground. Also check that you're new clutch does not meter from either lead to frame ground. There may be an internal short in your new clutch. Simply unplugging the clutches may be the simplest diagnostic tool.

These sort of issues are satisfying to diagnose, assuming you do find the culprit. =^..^=
    +3 to pinched wire.. as BC said triple-check the wiring harnesses.. the connectors to BD... bust it down to basic machine and go from there..I saw one tech that had worked on Ricoh LCT and messed the connector up... nothing would happen until that tray was activated and started to lift the tray.

Wink Re: Top cover switch shenanigans

I'm going to throw in with the rest. 24v component shorted to ground somewhere. If not a pinched wire, the perhaps a screw that has fallen in behind the engine PCB. Time to disassemble and re-assemble taking particular note of wiring and components. We all have been there my friend. I wish you the best.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Not the same model but... I took the side door off of a 4002i and somehow the pin on the intermediate male-male conector got pushed more to one side. This gave a constant door open signal.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

It’s easy to bend a pin in a plug. I’d pull every plug and check the pins are all present and correct.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Finally managed to find the cause yesterday. After yet another careful tear down and inspecting every single wire for possible pinch or short, i slapped myself for making a rookie mistake. You see these two connectors:

connectors.jpg

Well, they are the same and can fit both places. I was in a hurry connecting engine pwb, and managed to swap their places. Than it was covered with the rest of wires making it look ok. Moral of the story: Don't rush it, and don't follow any logic here. The top connection is for the conveying fan below, even though it's more convenient to plug it in the bottom spot based on the length and shape of the wires.

Thank you all for tips and hints.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I always take a few pictures before I disconnect. It sometimes can help me n these situations. Glad you found it. Keep techin'.