Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    5551ci - Error Occurred at Cassette

Hi Folks - I'm having an issue with a few of these machines showing up "Error Occurred at Cassette" - I have come across it before and as resolving the issue is normally just a case of opening and closing the cassette most users have just dealt with it.

We have a few high volume machines however that I will need to get resolved. They print A3 booklets so cassettes are normally filled with ream of A3 - it's 75g so sits below what I would consider to be overfilled - when user sends the print job the machine will pick up a few pages and then display this error - if they open and close the cassette after about 10 pages it will throw up the error again. If they open and close the cassette a second time it will tend to run through the rest of the ream without the error occurring again.

Is this likely to be a weak lift motor or is there something else that causes this to happen? I think the issue seems to happen in pairs ie - on one machine cassette 1&2 have the error and on another it could be 3&4 but I could be wrong about this or or it could just be a coincidence. I have replicated the error myself quite easily so ruling out the user overfilling/not setting paper in right/fanning the paper/making the whole thing up

While I was out at it I tried the following:

swapped the cassette inserts
    replaced feed tyres
    swapped the complete feed assy
    taken off auto paper size detect

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: 5551ci - Error Occurred at Cassette

On the AplhardII series we've seen failing vertical path motor and/or seizing vertical path bushings. As they age, they seem to dump ever increasing amounts of toner into the vertical path. The toner fuses nicely to warm things like motors. That's where I would start. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I had this same issue on a 8002i that turned out to be the engine board. I was not able to clear the error at all. It always said there was an error in cassette 1. If you left cassette 1 out and powered machine on, it would go to cassette 2. I left both cassettes out of the machine and turned it on and the lift motors for trays 1 and 2 turned continuously. I could push up on the feed roller for one of the trays and the corresponding lift motor would stop, but still error out. After replacing the engine board the issue went away. Hope this will help someone with a similar issue.

i've seen this a lot on the 500ci series where the lift motor needs replacement. be careful when taking the machine out of auto paper size mode, if they have a fax board installed it will have problems printing received faxes.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I would try 302KV44041 clutch...4 ea for the drive section and 1 ea for the vertical path roller behind said section just because you are there and its a pain to have to replace later when you could have done it at the same time

Check and replace the Photo sensors behind the Cassettes. May be its out of position .
    When the copies are running the paper lift plate position measured by this sensors.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CoreyAbels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    On the AplhardII series we've seen failing vertical path motor and/or seizing vertical path bushings. As they age, they seem to dump ever increasing amounts of toner into the vertical path. The toner fuses nicely to warm things like motors. That's where I would start. =^..^=

Good afternoon

I am having the same type of issue with 2 different "1 Series" machines as well. I have a 5501i as well as a 3051ci machine experiencing the "Error Occurred at Cassette" message. This same theory applies to those devices as well, correct? I know there are some minor differences between the machines and I can never seem to replicated the issue. I have replaced the Feed Drive Clutches and Feed Rollers on both machines, and additionally, replaced the Feed Assemblies on the 3051ci. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyAbels View Post
    Good afternoon

I am having the same type of issue with 2 different "1 Series" machines as well. I have a 5501i as well as a 3051ci machine experiencing the "Error Occurred at Cassette" message. This same theory applies to those devices as well, correct? I know there are some minor differences between the machines and I can never seem to replicated the issue. I have replaced the Feed Drive Clutches and Feed Rollers on both machines, and additionally, replaced the Feed Assemblies on the 3051ci. Thanks for any insight you can provide!
    since the last reply ( with no resolve ) was a year ago...

and you have 2 different problems...

may I suggest you post a NEW thread for each machine....

listing:

What parts are replaced.

what the total pages printed vs PM parts

error codes listed..

any pertinent info

Thumbs up Re: 5551ci - Error Occurred at Cassette

Lift motor(s)