Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Job Authentication conundrum-- b&w no prompt, color prompt

We have a customer who is requesting a specific setup where customers will be able to print without authentication for black and white, but will be prompted for a username/password for Color.

We have attempted to play around with the settings in the driver, to no avail. The best we can get is no login prompt for B&W but then color requests get automatically rejected. Alternatively, if we set it up to prompt for a login regardless of color settings it will work succesfully but the customer insists this is no good for them as it wastes time.

We have tried six or seven times tot alk to several associates from the Kyocera Help Desk, all of whom insist it is not possible to get such an arrangement from within the driver. But we do in fact have at least one customer who has managed to configure it to operate this way.

Our line of thinking is that perhaps the best method would be to have a second instance of the driver installed, with different defaults and different authentication options.

But I am wondering if there is a simpler way that we are missing?

Would appreciate any input on the matter.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Job Authentication conundrum-- b&w no prompt, color prompt

I have not worked much with it,
    but are you using Administrator settings > lock settings B and W mode ?

Quote Originally Posted by Xer0615 View Post
    We have a customer who is requesting a specific setup where customers will be able to print without authentication for black and white, but will be prompted for a username/password for Color.

We have attempted to play around with the settings in the driver, to no avail. The best we can get is no login prompt for B&W but then color requests get automatically rejected. Alternatively, if we set it up to prompt for a login regardless of color settings it will work succesfully but the customer insists this is no good for them as it wastes time.

We have tried six or seven times tot alk to several associates from the Kyocera Help Desk, all of whom insist it is not possible to get such an arrangement from within the driver. But we do in fact have at least one customer who has managed to configure it to operate this way.

Our line of thinking is that perhaps the best method would be to have a second instance of the driver installed, with different defaults and different authentication options.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by toddanderson View Post
    I have not worked much with it,
    but are you using Administrator settings > lock settings B and W mode ?

Yes we have tried that but as far as I recall the only thing that accomplishes is completely blocking off one or the other. I could be incorrect, I'm making this post on behalf of my co-worker; whof or some reason isn't as apt to jump on relevant forums when it comes to asking questions.

And the problem with the aforementioned setup is that the administrator at the customers office wants people to be able to print in color when she permits it by inputting the user/password that is prompted for when job accounting is active. The problem is that by enabling Auth. prompts, it's going to prompt 100% of the time, and we'd like for it to simply not ask for credentials with black and white jobs.

I'm really beginning to believe the best course of action would be to simply have a second instance of the driver installed with defaults set to Color and the authentication configured to prompt. But again, the gentleman actually dealing with this swears that one of our customers has this exact setup. I appreciate your input and any more to come.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Job Authentication conundrum-- b&w no prompt, color prompt

You don't say which model machine you are dealing with but some of the newer models have a guest access which allows some functions to be accessible without a login. Then when you choose, say color, you are prompted to enter account info to continue. The information is available in the user manual for those models.

Access Lock may also be helpful. Manuals for Access Lock are also available for the pertinent models.

Quote Originally Posted by Xer0615 View Post

Turn on User Login & use Guest Mode (need to configure allow B&W & restrict Color)
    B&W Copy mode will be use as normal, once click Color or Auto Color will prompt for ID & PW.
    Install 2 KX Driver print Queues, B&W no need to enable User Login. For Color Queue, turn on User Login & set to prompt for ID & PW.

Else walkaround using 1 print Q
    KX Driver turn on User Login, set user ID & PW.
    Under Lock Settings, tick Black & White Mode then set password to lock (Ask user to input the User Login password for easy reference) then save.
    By default is B&W, when enter to preference to change color mode. There will be a lock icon.
    Click on the lock icon & input the User Login password in order to select color or auto color print.