Field service tech. 100+ Posts Froota's Avatar

AS/400 printing from Kyocera Taskalfa

Hi,

Does someone know if we need extra hardware or licenses if we want to print on AS400 systems from the latest Taskalfa models like the 2553ci?
    I'm quit new to the Kyocera's allthough I can remember there were some extra dimms needed on a Ricoh for example, therefore my question.

Thx for the respons,

Froota

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: AS/400 printing from Kyocera Taskalfa

Froota, you should not need any additional hardware to print to Kyocera devices from AS-400.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I don’t know KM very well, but It depends.

If the AS400 is sending IPDS (Intelligent Print Data Stream), it won’t print.

IPDS is not readable by normal printers; it’s EBCEDIC versus ASCII, which is a different character set. Some level of conversion is required. Some manufacturers offer this as an option, sometimes it’s a third party solution. As you mentioned, Ricoh offers it as an SD card.

If the AS400 is outputting ASCII (text), then no conversion is required.

You will need to check with the customer as to which they are using.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I don’t know KM very well, but It depends.

If the AS400 is sending IPDS (Intelligent Print Data Stream), it won’t print.

IPDS is not readable by normal printers; it’s EBCEDIC versus ASCII, which is a different character set. Some level of conversion is required. Some manufacturers offer this as an option, sometimes it’s a third party solution. As you mentioned, Ricoh offers it as an SD card.

If the AS400 is outputting ASCII (text), then no conversion is required.

You will need to check with the customer as to which they are using.
    Thanks Ken. I knew it was different, but not just how different. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

There are two main types of AS400 computers

SCS (Simplified Command Set) sometimes referred to as an ASCII data stream.

IPDS (Intelligent Print Data Stream) usually requires a 3rd party device that costs around $1,300 - $1.600 per copier plus the know how to configure this device.

AS/400 is generally the domain of highly paid IT technicians (not necessarily onsite) who specialize in this area so do not expect them to give you any freedom in what they will accept on their network.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    There are two main types of AS400 computers

SCS (Simplified Command Set) sometimes referred to as an ASCII data stream.

IPDS (Intelligent Print Data Stream) usually requires a 3rd party device that costs around $1,300 - $1.600 per copier plus the know how to configure this device.

AS/400 is generally the domain of highly paid IT technicians (not necessarily onsite) who specialize in this area so do not expect them to give you any freedom in what they will accept on their network.
    Thanks, I had forgotten about the SCS acronym. It can be added as a rather *pricey* option.

BTW...IPDS actually offers more more versatility than you would expect. It does a better job with fonts and graphics, and even supports color.

Things you wouldn’t normally expect in an AS400 environment.

Also, contrary to popular belief, AS400 is far from being dead...it’s not even sick.

I read a few years ago that something like 480 of the Fortune 500 companies are running it somewhere in the organization.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Thanks Ken. I knew it was different, but not just how different. =^..^=
    Glad to help!

Field service tech. 100+ Posts Froota's Avatar

Thx you all for the feedback!

Froota

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post

I read a few years ago that something like 480 of the Fortune 500 companies are running it somewhere in the organization.
    It's not that much, but still great percentage according to KM Outward learning program I did recently.

"Today, more than 70 percent of enterprise data and 71 percent of the core businesses of all Fortune 500 companies reside on a mainframe.
    IBM has produced famous mainframe models such as the z Series and the AS/400 and still dominates the mainframe market."

Here is a good explanation:

"A file object on an AS/400 is roughly equivalent to a file on a PC. The object types are roughly analogue to the concept of file extensions such as .exe or .bat on PCs.
    However, the object types on the AS/400 are much more strictly enforced. While on a PC, you can rename any file, there is no way to turn a program into a file on an AS/400.
    Intel-based Personal Computers generally use American Standard Code for Information Interchange, short “ASCII”. However, IBM mainframes and midrange systems are based on Extended Binary coded Decimal Interchange Code, abbreviated “EB-CDIC”.
    These two underlying codes differ in many respects, so that any information interchange between both worlds always requires data conversion.
    As Konica Minolta print systems also cannot interpret the code that an AS/400 uses, data conversion is also required for print-related communication.
    In addition to the already mentioned different code formats, print-related data formats and streams also differ between mainframe and PC platforms.
    IBM Advanced Function Presentation is a set of rules and conventions governing the creation and control of data types as separate data streams.
    It enables customers to take full advantage of the printing technology of the AS/400. AFP plays a dominant role in the transactional print market.
    There are two “flavors” of IBM AFP: IPDS (Intelligent Printer Data Stream) and ACIF (AFP Conversion and Indexing Facility).
    Intelligent Printer Data Stream is a printing protocol that allows for bidirectional communication between the host and printer and is resident on the host. The printer communicates with the host to get what it needs to build the page.
    For example, it will check to see if a particular font is resident on the printer. If not, IPDS will download it to the printer. IPDS printers provide system resource management and advanced error recovery page by page with items like page-level stops and restarts."
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by Froota View Post
    Hi,

Does someone know if we need extra hardware or licenses if we want to print on AS400 systems from the latest Taskalfa models like the 2553ci?
    I'm quit new to the Kyocera's allthough I can remember there were some extra dimms needed on a Ricoh for example, therefore my question.

Thx for the respons,

Froota
    Under TA2553ci printer emulation, there are few printer languages. Have you tried?
    If printing barcode, double byte characters, you may need KyoMultiCode.