Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    307ci Printing Random "Wingdings" pages.

Re: 307ci Printing Random "Wingdings" pages.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Bingo. One line of characters across each page...so it's not Wingdings. One mystery solved.

I did test prints from all 3 computers in their office after directly downloading the correct drivers from the Kyocera website. I know without a doubt it's another computer causing the problem...I just need to find a way to to block it, or at least identify the culprit.
    wireless or airprint?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    wireless or airprint?

My guess would be wireless... never thought about airprint. I turned Bonjour off just in case it's someone's iPad or iPhone grabbing the printer.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Turning off Auto-IP turns Airprint off.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

You could set up the machine to require a code to print,default the code into the four clients print driver defaults and wait for the complaint that someone can't print,that will likely be your culprit or at least will flush out clients your not being told about so you can check their drivers.Extreme I know but.....

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craig2309 View Post
    You could set up the machine to require a code to print,default the code into the four clients print driver defaults and wait for the complaint that someone can't print,that will likely be your culprit or at least will flush out clients your not being told about so you can check their drivers.Extreme I know but.....

I like it! Like changing the IP ... eventually somebody comes forward to complain, and then you've got them.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Apparently the issue is still going on.

I've disabled WSD, set the IP address to static... even CHANGED the IP address, I'm at a loss here. Normally network related stuff doesn't get by me, but since this is a "Multi-Use" office complex, it could be anyone in any of the suites connecting to the MFP (With a strong likelihood of an IP conflict?) but nobody admitting it.

I'm tempted to enable User ID's on the machine, but 2 of the 3 users are on Macs, and those are a pain to configure for UID.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I know you kind of need to know where it's coming from to figure it out, but U977 has helped me figure out printing troubles.
    Obviously if you knew, you'd fix it.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

I've disabled WSD, set the IP address to static... even CHANGED the IP address, I'm at a loss here. Normally network related stuff doesn't get by me, but since this is a "Multi-Use" office complex, it could be anyone in any of the suites connecting to the MFP (With a strong likelihood of an IP conflict?) but nobody admitting it.

I'm tempted to enable User ID's on the machine, but 2 of the 3 users are on Macs, and those are a pain to configure for UID.
    Are the macs using an AirPrint driver or the downloaded Kyocera version?
    Also if you want to configure the Macs with user codes, it’s a lot easier than it was. Find the setting in the driver, input the code and save as a Preset.
    U977 will not really help you unless you can have the USB in and set when the corrupt data is sent.
    Also in a wireless set up I’ve seen issues where client PCs or the machine are on the outer limits of the router reception and dropped packets are the issue.

BTW, I’ve also seen this sort of thing happen when clients are scanning FTP to a folder connected to Dropbox/cloud. Turned out the folder would update part way through the scanning job landing in the folder and hundreds of pages of one line asci text would result. The fix was the cloud connect.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Changing just the IP address may not be enough.

I would change the host name, as well. If the offender is using that, the IP address wouldn't matter (as long as it's in the right subnet, of course).

Are the bad jobs printing at the same time each day, or are they random?

This may sound really weird (OK, it is weird), but I had the very same issue about 10-12 years ago. We had just installed about 15 or so new Ricoh machines in a factory, displacing whatever brand was there before us. One machine had the issue; all the others were OK.

It turned out there was a very old (NT4) Server that once a day, at the same time, was auto-printing some kind of no-longer-needed report. It was, of course, using the old driver. That server wasn't even supposed to be on the network any more; it had been forgotten about.

Ricoh has a service function under the printer SPs to allow data being sent to print to be written to an SD card. Once we knew what time it was happening (it was at 2 PM each day) we set it up to capture the print job. The data recorded also grabs the IP address of the sending computer.

I have no idea if Kyocera Mita has that same capability.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have solved this issue before by just changing the IP and printing by host name.