Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    307ci Printing Random "Wingdings" pages.

307ci Printing Random "Wingdings" pages.

Good afternoon....

I've got a recently placed brand new 307ci that the customer was complaining during the day it would randomly print about a 10-30 page "Wingdings" font job. I checked the print history on the machine but no User Name was listed. I selected a different static IP address, reconfigured all 3 computers (2 Macs, 1 Windows) print drivers...but they still get these random jobs.

Their office is part of a multi-use office building, but they have a block of static IP addresses that supposedly only THEY are able to use for their printers. I pinged the IP address and found nothing else on it, so I thought that would eliminate an IP conflict.

I went by today and turned off WSD and Bonjour in the network settings, hoping that if someone's Win 10 laptop is trying to connect to their MFP with a WSD port, it'll keep them from being able to print.

Has anyone ELSE seen this?? ... I'm more than willing to take suggestions.

<insert Twilight Zone theme /here>

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    307ci Printing Random &quot;Wingdings&quot; pages.

Re: 307ci Printing Random "Wingdings" pages.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Good afternoon....

I've got a recently placed brand new 307ci that the customer was complaining during the day it would randomly print about a 10-30 page "Wingdings" font job. I checked the print history on the machine but no User Name was listed. I selected a different static IP address, reconfigured all 3 computers (2 Macs, 1 Windows) print drivers...but they still get these random jobs.

Their office is part of a multi-use office building, but they have a block of static IP addresses that supposedly only THEY are able to use for their printers. I pinged the IP address and found nothing else on it, so I thought that would eliminate an IP conflict.

I went by today and turned off WSD and Bonjour in the network settings, hoping that if someone's Win 10 laptop is trying to connect to their MFP with a WSD port, it'll keep them from being able to print.

can you remove the 'wingding' font from the scheme?

I would try to narrow it down when it occurs, also these machines have wireless connectivity. Could it be that someone is trying to print from a wireless device possibly?

Good afternoon....

it's not ASCII code being printed is it? or is it the actual "wingding" font?

did you assign and actual NON WSD port to the printer?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    it's not ASCII code being printed is it? or is it the actual "wingding" font?

did you assign and actual NON WSD port to the printer?
    Printer is set to static IP address. Windows 10 has a bad habit of sniffing out printers on a network all by itself, and assigning a WSD port to them. Not a fan of that feature in Win 10!! I didn't bring one of the printed pages with me to post it... it COULD be ASCII, but when the customer said "printing out jibberish" I assumed the Wingdings font.

Only time I've seen a printer do that is when someone prints using another manufacturer's print driver.

Printer is set to static IP address. Windows 10 has a bad habit of sniffing out printers on a network all by itself, and assigning a WSD port to them. Not a fan of that feature in Win 10!! I didn't bring one of the printed pages with me to post it... it COULD be ASCII, but when the customer said "printing out jibberish" I assumed the Wingdings font.

Only time I've seen a printer do that is when someone prints using another manufacturer's print driver.
    OR the WRONG driver from manufacturer

gibberish is usually incorrect driver

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    OR the WRONG driver from manufacturer

gibberish is usually incorrect driver
    I second that.
    I've seen this few times. It was always wrong driver.
    Would suggest different IP address but you smarty tried this
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I'll be third. I would suppose you're getting a PostScrpt error. It's just the actual characters in the data sent, since it's in a language the printer doesn't understand.

It could be PCL data sent to a PostScript printer, or PostScript data sent to a PCL printer, ... or any non-print data that the printer cannot decode. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The line feed and carriage return commands get stripped out of the ASCII, resulting in one really long line of characters. That's why you end up with a ton of pages.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    The line feed and carriage return commands get stripped out of the ASCII, resulting in one really long line of characters. That's why you end up with a ton of pages.
    Bingo. One line of characters across each page...so it's not Wingdings. One mystery solved.

I did test prints from all 3 computers in their office after directly downloading the correct drivers from the Kyocera website. I know without a doubt it's another computer causing the problem...I just need to find a way to to block it, or at least identify the culprit.