Thread: M5526cdw

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

M5526cdw

Having a problem setting up Smtp and smb no error codes just connection error. I think there is a network block but can't get it to work. We set it up in our office and I know it worked. I have it at the customers site and I can't get it to scan smb or smtp. They recently switched the network from comcast to fios, maybe fios has a block on their router? Don't know. I have all the protocols correct and have set these machines up alot on all types of networks but this one has me stumped. I'm trying to use smtp.comcast.net as the server for outgoing using port 25 and smb using port 445. I used ssl on and off but no luck, along with authentication but no luck. Help appreciated. Thx

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    M5526cdw

Re: M5526cdw

Quote Originally Posted by T911 View Post
    Having a problem setting up Smtp and smb no error codes just connection error. I think there is a network block but can't get it to work. We set it up in our office and I know it worked. I have it at the customers site and I can't get it to scan smb or smtp. They recently switched the network from comcast to fios, maybe fios has a block on their router? Don't know. I have all the protocols correct and have set these machines up alot on all types of networks but this one has me stumped. I'm trying to use smtp.comcast.net as the server for outgoing using port 25 and smb using port 445. I used ssl on and off but no luck, along with authentication but no luck. Help appreciated. Thx
    have you contacted COMCAST? yuk

they should be able to help with the external network settings

have you contacted the customers IT dept?

i take it you can't ping the unit?

what is the COMCAST network scheme?

what is your inhouse network scheme?

you don't give much to work with!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    M5526cdw

First, are you using computer names instead of IP addresses? If the customer does not have a DNS server and is using the ISP's DNS server it does not allow name resolution for internal devices. If they switched from comcast [worst ever] to FIOS, why are you trying to use the comcast SMTP server??? Any account autherizations for comcast are no longer valid, why are you not using the FIOS smtp server? As far as the SMB scanning, if you try using computer names without an internal DNS server, the computer name will never get resolved using the FIOS DNS server. Most ISP's disable NetBios name resolution. Try using the IP addresses and if you can register them in the DHCP server with reservations so all the computers and devices always have the same IP address. Hope this helps.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    M5526cdw

1) I'm with Santander, Comcast server is no good. Have you tried smtp.gmail.com 465/587 authenticate as other dns 8.8.8.8? Or better yet Fios smtp server Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995. Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net. Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465 Why is this important? Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server 2) For smb- Have you shared your proper permissions? Is the computer on a private network instead of public? (Windows likes to change this often). And again try IP addresses instead of names if no dns server.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kyogenius's Avatar

I hope you not installing on windows 10 platform, its so difficult on win 10
    failure is not an option !