Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    4052ci  Strange inner finisher issue.

4052ci Strange inner finisher issue.

I have an inner finisher DF-7110 exits one sheet the exit tray lowers to bottom position. Message "main unit inner tray full of paper". I guess I went off half-cocked and ordered the finisher upper and lower limit sensors. Which didn't fix it.

So I removed the inner finisher so the customer could use it while I researched and ordered more parts. After I removed the finisher I got the same message. I figured the machine now needs a exit switch (which is removed and disposed of when installing the DF-7100) So I tripped the sensor and the machine was happy.

Now that I am ready to go back, it occurs to me. Why would the machine say "main unit inner tray full of paper" when there's a finisher installed? Shouldn't it say "exit tray full of paper" or "finisher tray full of paper"??

So that got me thinking, is there something in the inner finisher that's supposed to trip that main unit sensor? or does the machine bypass that sensors when it knows a finisher is there?

Anyone seen anything like this? Still not sure if I have a machine issue or a finisher issue... Oh well, will keep this thread updated.

Thanks in advance.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: 4052ci Strange inner finisher issue.

I'll have to look up the details tomorrow. I think it was a 4052ci with a bridge and external finisher, but similar symptoms.

The precipitating event was their IT wiping all the PCs and letting WSD install generic drivers. Those drivers did not configure correctly, so the machine tried to eject all paper to the engine top ... but it couldn't ... it jammed every page. Whomever had installed the bridge had removed and thrown away the exit guide and flag for the lower exit. For the first year it had exited to the finisher without an issue, and never tried to exit to the engine top.

Naturally we didn't have those parts lying around, so I had to order them. I had never even looked at the exit assembly until that day, so I had no idea what it was supposed to look like. Later on we got the proper drivers installed. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Do you remember step 5 from installation manual for DF-7100?
    If you forget to remove the actuator extension, you can get this problem.
    DF-7100.JPG

Well, lol, that extender was installed. But that didn't fix it. It was the paper pressure actuator being out of place. It those 5 or 6 arms that fall fowards onto the paper on the exit tray. I guess i always figured they helped stack the paper. But they actually determine the height.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Well, lol, that extender was installed. But that didn't fix it. It was the paper pressure actuator being out of place. It those 5 or 6 arms that fall fowards onto the paper on the exit tray. I guess i always figured they helped stack the paper. But they actually determine the height.
    Can you please give more details on the problem with the pressure arms and how did you put them back?

Do you know what senses the height of the paper stack in the finisher tray?

I'm trying to help a tech who is having the same problem. He says he can pull the pressure arms down and let them go back. His "main unit inner tray full of paper" message will not reset.

He's also getting C8800 DF communication error. Besides the bulletin do you know a way to make the connector fit better?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nathicana View Post
    Can you please give more details on the problem with the pressure arms and how did you put them back?

I'm trying to help a tech who is having the same problem. He says he can pull the pressure arms down and let them go back. His "main unit inner tray full of paper" message will not reset.

He's also getting C8800 DF communication error. Besides the bulletin do you know a way to make the connector fit better?

Thanks
    Install washers around the screws between the finisher's electronic connector and the frame behind it to reduce the wiggle and improve the connection. This has worked on dozens of these machines.

If its stuck on the inner tray full message, it is likely because the finisher isn't being recognized due to the poor connection. When this happens, turn power off, reseat finisher and power on. On the copy screen, the image of the copier should show that there is an internal finisher installed. If not, it isn't connected well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by nathicana View Post

Thanks

The arms (as they were visible) seemed OK but they didn't move smoothly. I took off tray, front and side covers to find the whole actuator ass'y was off on the rear side. Fixed and the "paper full" message fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images