Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Let's Play a Game (Taskalpha 3551ci)

Re: Let's Play a Game (Taskalpha 3551ci)

Alright it has begun, if somone would please verify that this is the first board Billy suggested. Staying true to IT roots it took significantly longer than I expected to get to the job lol although just the removal here wasn't all that bad. Assuming this is the right board (I'm pretty sure) I will be putting it back and testing for functionality before moving onto the LSU Billy also suggested. Thanks for the support guys!

Edit>
    I suppose I should link the pictures
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTFAkX3

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    Alright it has begun, if somone would please verify that this is the first board Billy suggested. Staying true to IT roots it took significantly longer than I expected to get to the job lol although just the removal here wasn't all that bad. Assuming this is the right board (I'm pretty sure) I will be putting it back and testing for functionality before moving onto the LSU Billy also suggested. Thanks for the support guys!

Edit>
    I suppose I should link the pictures
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTFAkX3
    That's it. Good job.

Let us know when you remove the laser. It's not that hard.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Alright let's go ahead and verify that I got the right bits again. The album is being weird for me though, I'm having to click the first image and then hit next it doesn't wanna show all 5 pictures right there for whatever reason.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTG3UKu

Now that it's apart I have two questions, are those individual black units interchangable or color specific? And I got the windows a little dusty what is the recommended method to clean them?

Alright let's go ahead and verify that I got the right bits again. The album is being weird for me though, I'm having to click the first image and then hit next it doesn't wanna show all 5 pictures right there for whatever reason.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTG3UKu

Now that it's apart I have two questions, are those individual black units interchangable or color specific? And I got the windows a little dusty what is the recommended method to clean them?

Great job. While you have the laser out of the machine, pay attention to the worm gears on each laser. That's attached to a cleaning pad the runs up and down the laser slit glass when you perform laser cleaning. I've had problems with those binding and causing a wide white streak on the paper. Blackcat says to use grease on those. I forget when kind he said to use. I can look back through my notes and let you know. If memory serves correctly, he also said the springs need the proper tension or you'll have problems.

If you want to take something else apart, try the drum drive motors. See below:

PS - I think the laser units are interchangeable on the 1-series machines (3551ci/4551ci/5551ci). I think. I'd have to look it up in the manual. Use soft rag and alcohol to clean slit glass.

drive motors.jpg

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Yes the individual laser sections are interchangeable.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Great job. While you have the laser out of the machine, pay attention to the worm gears on each laser. That's attached to a cleaning pad the runs up and down the laser slit glass when you perform laser cleaning. I've had problems with those binding and causing a wide white streak on the paper. Blackcat says to use grease on those. I forget when kind he said to use. I can look back through my notes and let you know. If memory serves correctly, he also said the springs need the proper tension or you'll have problems.
    The type of grease would be appreciated, although all I have is white lithium and tri-flow lubricant. I see the worm gear for cleaning so yeah I guess I'll just find that MM and run it once it's back together. I'll add the drum motors to my list although I think at this point Sparkycivic made a few suggestions so his are gonna be what I tackle next. I only have an hour left in the office today so I suspect the rest of my day will be reassembling the LSU and finisher and making sure it all works still lol.

Oh and for lubing those gears we want to lube the little white ones on the end not the black worm correct?
    Also do you know if the black units are interchangable? If so I want to switch one with magenta because I have a slight magenta tint on a few previous prints. I don't really think it's LSU but if it doesn't hurt to switch them around I might as well while it's out of the machine.

Edit> BC just posted they are in fact interchangeable thank you!
    Edit2> Billy also got the answer, and does that mean I should go ahead with some isopropyl or just let the worm do it's job?

The type of grease would be appreciated, although all I have is white lithium and tri-flow lubricant. I see the worm gear for cleaning so yeah I guess I'll just find that MM and run it once it's back together. I'll add the drum motors to my list although I think at this point Sparkycivic made a few suggestions so his are gonna be what I tackle next. I only have an hour left in the office today so I suspect the rest of my day will be reassembling the LSU and finisher and making sure it all works still lol.

Oh and for lubing those gears we want to lube the little white ones on the end not the black worm correct?
    Also do you know if the black units are interchangable? If so I want to switch one with magenta because I have a slight magenta tint on a few previous prints. I don't really think it's LSU but if it doesn't hurt to switch them around I might as well while it's out of the machine.

Edit> BC just posted they are in fact interchangeable thank you!
    You can swap the lasers around but if you're getting a magenta tint, I don't think the laser is the problem. More than likely it's the dv or drum. Try calibrating and halftone adjustments if you haven't already.

M94,

blackcat is much more knowledgeable on these machines than I. I'd like for him to answers your questions because I don't want to tell you any wrong information. I'm relatively inexperienced on these machines myself.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    M94,

blackcat is much more knowledgeable on these machines than I. I'd like for him to answers your questions because I don't want to tell you any wrong information. I'm relatively inexperienced on these machines myself.
    No worries man you've been plenty helpful, most of you guys are wealths of knowledge in one department or another. I'm sure blackcat will be around shortly to school us

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Agreed. The only reason that I've ever changed a Kyocera laser is if the cleaners fail.

Clean the worm with alcohol then grease with the white lithium grease (not the gear teeth). Make sure that the the spring presses the cleaner back onto the worm when you drive the cleaner to the end. The idea is that the spring helps the cleaner restart onto the worm when traveling the other way. If there isn't enough spring tension the cleaner will crossthread or not re-start.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=