Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera General Question

Re: Kyocera General Question

I've been reading the Kyocera manual like a madman. Two things became abundantly clear:

1. I haven't been reading my manual close enough. There's some great troubleshooting methods in there for isolating just about any problem. I paid extra attention to poor image problems. It's not difficult to understand.

2. I've been relying too much on you guys to diagnose a problem for me. I appreciate all the help as you guys have solved numerous problems for me. But it's time that I learn these machines backwards and forwards.

I have some Kyocera color machines on order and when the shipping company decides to deliver them, I'm gonna run those tests that I've been talking about and I plan on introducing several problems to the machine and seeing how it affects certain readings.

Thanks for all the help.

Kyocera General Question

The more I read the manual the more I believe the information that KYO provided.

Here's what I gather and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

When a Kyocera copier does calibration, it's adjusting several things to maintain the best possible image. In no particular order. (I'm not gonna list everything as to try to keep it as simple as possible. )

- DV bias
    - Laser Power
    - Toner to DV ratio

I don't want to get too complicated but the ID sensors (it's actually the main processer that's getting the reading from the ID sensor) will also adjust the DV bias voltage to compensate for a worn transfer belt. This is done by the machine looking at the "stress" value. You can find the value for "stress" under U465. The manual also says that you can manually increase the DV bias voltage to compensate for a "bleached" (white looking belt) transfer belt.

The manual goes on to say that if you're having image quality problems to look at the value of U155 (toner sensor output). If the value is 100 or less, replace the DV unit. That would mean that the developer is either low or worn.

EDIT: Also, it appears to me that not only are the ID sensors reading the light reflected off the color patches, it's also reading the light reflected off the belt (where there's no color patches) itself to determine the "stress" value.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 01-12-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Kyocera General Question

One last thing and this is basic stuff but I'll cover it anyway...

When you arrive at the service call for an image problem, the first thing needed is to determine if the problem lies in the main body or the scanner section. This is done by printing out test charts under U089. If the problem doesn't appear on the test charts, the problem resides in the scan section.

If the problem does show up, is it on every color or a single color? If it's on every color, you're probably looking at a transfer problem. If it's only on one color, you're looking towards DR, DV, PCR, ect.

Again, feel free to critique this. That's what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 01-12-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Kyocera General Question

PS - I know the experienced Kyocera techs have their own way of doing things and keep doing it that way because it's obviously working for you. I'm posting this stuff because I find it interesting.

A couple of things to pay attention to are:

1.) U468/ V Correction.

Whatever that number is it needs to be converted to binary. Once you do that it will show the pass/fail state of the last 16 calibrations. 1 = pass. 0 = fail. So, 1111 1111 1111 1111. That means the last 16 calibrations passed. 1111 1111 1111 1110 = last calibration failed.

2. U465 - Stress. It must be higher than 2600. If the number is lower, the belt is worn or damaged.

3. U155 - Value must be 101 or higher. If lower, replace DV unit.

Normally YOU never F with maintenance settings other than adjustments and resets
    Replace the Dev unit Drum unit transfer belt or bad part

Kyocera General Question

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Normally YOU never F with sp modes
    Replace the Dev unit Drum unit transfer belt or bad part

That's not what the Service Manual says. It specifically says that we can raise DV bias to compensate for a worn belt. Don't shoot the messenger. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    That's not what the Service Manual says. It specifically says that we can raise DV bias to compensate for a worn belt. Don't shoot the messenger. lol

Kyocera has 3 year warranty replace the part

Kyocera General Question

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Kyocera has 3 year warranty replace the part

I can't remember which page it's on, but I'll find it today and post. What it said was to raise the DV bias voltage and if you reach the max value to replace the transfer belt. I'm sure they limit the amount of DC bias voltage so as not to do damage. I suppose if I could get several more thousand copies off a worn belt it may be worth it. And if the manual says I can do it, I'll entertain the idea. Especially in a pinch.

Kyocera General Question

It also talks about changing the drive time for add toner and other readings but there's not enough information there to understand it fully. Or I'm just not capable of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I can't remember which page it's on, but I'll find it today and post. What it said was to raise the DV bias voltage and if you reach the max value to replace the transfer belt. I'm sure they limit the amount of DC bias voltage so as not to do damage. I suppose if I could get several more thousand copies off a worn belt it may be worth it. And if the manual says I can do it, I'll entertain the idea. Especially in a pinch.

It's Not the old days wear you turn a VR and make adjustments. Lots of setting you can F with but unless Tech support tells you DFW
    replace the part.