Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Grand Junction
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    17

    Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    Machine has been running up until this point at fairly high volume. Recently did a dv unit swap for black and a couple of days later now the unit says black toner empty. It is of course not, tried different cartridges (OEM), the neck of the toner shutter underneath the toner is full and the toner add is working. The DV unit is not getting the toner, and the toner sensor reading reflects that. If you manually add toner to the dv unit to satisfy the sensor, the machine comes back to ready until that toner runs out and then goes back into add toner mode. This would indicate the toner sensor in the dv is also fine.

    The toner supply drive pack mounts from the rear of the machine and provides drive to the units. Is there anything in the drive unit itself that would prevent toner from being supplied from the hopper assembly, down to the dv unit or is it purely just drive?
    Clutch, solenoid etc etc?

    Thoughts or ideas appreciated

    Chris
    TJL Copy Products

  2. #2
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    3,431
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    Sounds to me like the toner sensor in the DV is the problem. What is the toner sensor control voltage -U131??

    PS - Have you tried putting the old DV unit back in to see if the problem goes away?

    Edit: Also, print the Event Log and look for a C7101 error - Toner Sensor K error.

    EDIT II: You said you did a "swap" of the K DV unit. New or used?
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 01-15-2021 at 11:13 PM.

  3. #3
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,525
    Rep Power
    157

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Machine has been running up until this point at fairly high volume. Recently did a dv unit swap for black and a couple of days later now the unit says black toner empty. It is of course not, tried different cartridges (OEM), the neck of the toner shutter underneath the toner is full and the toner add is working. The DV unit is not getting the toner, and the toner sensor reading reflects that. If you manually add toner to the dv unit to satisfy the sensor, the machine comes back to ready until that toner runs out and then goes back into add toner mode. This would indicate the toner sensor in the dv is also fine.

    The toner supply drive pack mounts from the rear of the machine and provides drive to the units. Is there anything in the drive unit itself that would prevent toner from being supplied from the hopper assembly, down to the dv unit or is it purely just drive?
    Clutch, solenoid etc etc?

    Thoughts or ideas appreciated

    Chris
    TJL Copy Products
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Sounds to me like the toner sensor in the DV is the problem....
    I don't think so Billy.
    I would consult manual if I had one...which I haven't. Generally speaking if toner is going directly from cartridge into dev unit check for shutter/sealing not opening properly, if there is intermediate section inbetween toner cartridge and dev unit check for binding or some sensor there not properly functioning.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

  4. #4
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    3,431
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I don't think so Billy.
    I would consult manual if I had one...which I haven't. Generally speaking if toner is going directly from cartridge into dev unit check for shutter/sealing not opening properly, if there is intermediate section inbetween toner cartridge and dev unit check for binding or some sensor there not properly functioning.

    He says that he can forcibly add toner. That would show that toner path is unobstructed.

  5. #5
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    3,431
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    I'm looking at the manual for the 356ci. You may try upgrading firmware first. Also, I don't see any simulation to check toner control voltage on this model. Disregard that part of my previous post.

    If you are indeed able to forcibly add toner and there's nothing obstructing the toner path, that would indicate one of several possibilities.

    1. Bad DV unit
    2. DV relay board
    3. Wiring problem from the DV relay board to the control board.

    If it was me, I'd put another DV in the machine to see if the problem goes away before I did anything.

  6. #6
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,525
    Rep Power
    157

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    He says that he can forcibly add toner. That would show that toner path is unobstructed.
    Billy I won't to speculate further cuz I really don't know this machine. I read what he said and manually add toner isn't always necessarily means to use add toner menu from service mode, he can simply pour toner into developing unit by hand. Of course if he can be more specific about that and really used machine itself to add toner that would mean toner supply path is OK.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

  7. #7
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    3,431
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Billy I won't to speculate further cuz I really don't know this machine. I read what he said and manually add toner isn't always necessarily means to use add toner menu from service mode, he can simply pour toner into developing unit by hand. Of course if he can be more specific about that and really used machine itself to add toner that would mean toner supply path is OK.
    Yeah, a little more information would be helpful.

    -Was it a new or used DV unit that he installed?

    - What does the event log say? C7911 is an EPROM error on the DV unit. Not sure if that shows up on the display screen or only on the event log.

  8. #8
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,525
    Rep Power
    157

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    Yes I would think that if developer unit isn't new that may be the problem. But again we're in unknown territory until OP clears the speculations.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

  9. #9
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    3,431
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    One more thing I thought of. Even though you can forcibly add toner and the machine comes to a ready state, you could still have a problem with something preventing the toner from getting in the DV unit. When you forcibly add toner, there is no time limit but when the machine is running during normal operation, if enough toner isn't added in a certain amount of time, you're gonna get a toner empty message. Food for thought.

    BUT...I still suspect the DV because the problem didn't start until you changed the unit. The old saying comes to mind, if you hear hoofprints...think horses and not zebras.

  10. #10
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    19,093
    Rep Power
    344

    Re: Taskalpha 356ci- Black toner empty

    I'm having a different read:

    1) I suspect that the toner hopper is working properly taking the toner from the bottle.
    2) If you can pour some toner in manually and satisfy the toner sensor, I suspect that you have a fully functional developing unit. If you were losing agitation or had a disfunctional toner sensor, the toner add condition would never clear, even momentarily.

    Sorry that I can't offer a specific solution (I've not ever seen this model), but I have a suspect. On a Toshiba eS2550C I had a slightly malformed toner waste bottle. On the Toshiba, inserting the waste bottle actuates a spring loaded shutter to open up the port in the top of the developing unit. The malformed bottle was missing the feature that opened the cyan port, so it never got replenished with cyan toner. I could pour in toner to make the cyan developing unit happy, and the toner feed tube (just a vertical tube without any auger) would pack full indicating the hopper was supplying the tube, it just wasn't making it into the top of the developing unit.

    Does that sound similar? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here