Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM-3552ci jams 0512, 0502

It sorta makes sense when you think about it:

Here's a machine with 40K on the rollers (and they are NOT flattened, like they could be). Every page from tray #2 jams 0512 or 0502. So I pulled the feed unit and clean the rollers, and at first I don't see anything particularly interesting ... then I notice that when I press the lever to raise the separation roller ... well it doesn't. I pressed the lever 50 times, and 50 times it DIDN'T raise.

It's a fairly simple mechanical linkage designed to take the pressure off the separation to allow for jam removal. Most every copier has it in some form. There is a convenient spring pressure adjustment ... that doesn't come into play if the separation roller doesn't raise. There are (3) levers, and at the contact points I added a little dab of my favorite red Mobilgrease. After a few actuations it pops right up. Tray #1 was exactly the same.

So think about it: If the separation lever mechanism resists the tension spring it's absorbing some of the tension, essentially increasing the page separation to the point that the paper never picks up.

I'm going to add this to the tire changing routine. I hope this helps somebody. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Luther's Avatar

Re: KM-3552ci jams 0512, 0502

Hve the same issue on the PF-7110, just lube the pivot ponts, good tip !!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

Here's a machine with 40K on the rollers (and they are NOT flattened, like they could be). Every page from tray #2 jams 0512 or 0502. So I pulled the feed unit and clean the rollers, and at first I don't see anything particularly interesting ... then I notice that when I press the lever to raise the separation roller ... well it doesn't. I pressed the lever 50 times, and 50 times it DIDN'T raise.

It's a fairly simple mechanical linkage designed to take the pressure off the separation to allow for jam removal. Most every copier has it in some form. There is a convenient spring pressure adjustment ... that doesn't come into play if the separation roller doesn't raise. There are (3) levers, and at the contact points I added a little dab of my favorite red Mobilgrease. After a few actuations it pops right up. Tray #1 was exactly the same.

So think about it: If the separation lever mechanism resists the tension spring it's absorbing some of the tension, essentially increasing the page separation to the point that the paper never picks up.

I'm going to add this to the tire changing routine. I hope this helps somebody. =^..^=
    Another point to consider, is the pivot point cracked? A couple of weeks ago had a unit that exhibited jams on several occasions. When on site it worked fine. Finally decided to replace the retard roller. During replacement noticed that the pivot point did not look right and the retard roller was not elevating. Replaced the primary feed assembly and took the old one back to the shop to troubleshoot. Upon further investigating the pivot point actually broke off. I have to assume that the pivot point was cracked and would not raise the retard roller to the proper position. Just a thought.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Just about every copier I've worked on has a similar PF assembly. What you say makes PERFECT sense. From my recollection, too much tension on the double feed roller will cause a jam. Or in your case the DF prevention roller couldn't raise. And too much of a gap between the primary feed roller and DF prevention roller will cause multiple sheets of paper to pass thru.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Just about every copier I've worked on has a similar PF assembly. What you say makes PERFECT sense. From my recollection, too much tension on the double feed roller will cause a jam. Or in your case the DF prevention roller couldn't raise. And too much of a gap between the primary feed roller and DF prevention roller will cause multiple sheets of paper to pass thru.
    Not exactly correct (sorry for the criticism). If the separation never raises at all, the feed roller is pressing the paper down against air (nothing, so no friction), instead of the separation roller (so no pickup). If it raises enough to touch, but not apply full separation spring pressure, the separation roller will resist feeding single pages. This isn't a doublefeed code, it's a no pickup code.

I know ... splitting hairs, but I must. =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Not exactly correct (sorry for the criticism). If the separation never raises at all, the feed roller is pressing the paper down against air (nothing, so no friction), instead of the separation roller (so no pickup). If it raises enough to touch, but not apply full separation spring pressure, the separation roller will resist feeding single pages. This isn't a doublefeed code, it's a no pickup code.

I know ... splitting hairs, but I must. =^..^=
    I don't mind criticism, I welcome it. That's the reason I post this stuff. I want to be corrected.