Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera 2-series Question

I'm mainly been selling and working on the 1 series Kyocera color machines. For the most part, they've been very good. But I'm ready to start selling the 2-series color. I hear that the colors are more vivid. How reliable is the machine? How easy is it to work on?

Pros & cons?

Any info. would be appreciated.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Kyocera 2-series Question

Both the xxx2ci and xxx3ci have more vivid colors.

The original fusers will squeal and give C6220, C6030, C6600 and C6770 errors. A couple of the metal shafts are made of very soft metal and very quickly wear down. The 5 second diagnosis is to carry your fuser over to counter, tip it onto the outer side and bump it on the counter. If it dumps a tablespoon of rust dust out of each end of the fuser you can be sure that you need a fuser replacement. The FR-8550H fusers seem to last longer than 170K. I think we've replaced EVERY original fuser.

For C2300, 4214, 4204, 4203:
    All caused by the fuser. The belt rotation sensors detect differences in front/rear belt rotation speed. The endcaps slip on the sleeve ends ... fixed on FR-8550H fuser.

The imaging components seem to make yield.
    The primary charge rollers have all the same sort of defects that you've seen of the Alphards.

The developing unit lock buttons tend to pop out by themselves. The best solution seems to be driving a small sheet metal screw into the edge between the button and the front cover:
    CS3552 Magenta Developer unit

For dog-ears, paper skew, 0523, 0524, 6511, C8100:
    PF-7110 intermittent dog eared on new 4003 series

For 0512, 0502 misfeed:
    KM-3552ci jams 0512, 0502

For 0533, 0534 we've had to increase page separation. You've probably had to adjust page separation before. Decreasing the spring tension increases the page separation. I think of it this way: More spring tension makes the separation roller follow the feed roller more. Less spring tension makes the separation follow less, resisting multiple feeds.

For 0413, 0502, 0000 won't clear:
    A dusted over registration sensor will cause this.

For C8020, C8030:
    The punch motor fails.

For C9040:
    The original lift plate breaks at the rear post.

These machine use the empty black toner cartridge as the waste receptacle. There is a switch that is flipped on the cartridge when you remove the empty, so the machine can tell the difference between a full and an empty. So if the enduser takes out an empty black toner cartridge and tries to put it back in ... well it won't go back in. We get lots of calls for such things. It doesn't help to tell the enduser that shaking an empty toner cartridge doesn't help. ITS STILL EMPTY!

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Both the xxx2ci and xxx3ci have more vivid colors.

The original fusers will squeal and give C6220, C6030, C6600 and C6770 errors. A couple of the metal shafts are made of very soft metal and very quickly wear down. The 5 second diagnosis is to carry your fuser over to counter, tip it onto the outer side and bump it on the counter. If it dumps a tablespoon of rust dust out of each end of the fuser you can be sure that you need a fuser replacement. The FR-8550H fusers seem to last longer than 170K. I think we've replaced EVERY original fuser.

For C2300, 4214, 4204, 4203:
    All caused by the fuser. The belt rotation sensors detect differences in front/rear belt rotation speed. The endcaps slip on the sleeve ends ... fixed on FR-8550H fuser.

The imaging components seem to make yield.
    The primary charge rollers have all the same sort of defects that you've seen of the Alphards.

The developing unit lock buttons tend to pop out by themselves. The best solution seems to be driving a small sheet metal screw into the edge between the button and the front cover:
    CS3552 Magenta Developer unit

For dog-ears, paper skew, 0523, 0524, 6511, C8100:
    PF-7110 intermittent dog eared on new 4003 series

For 0512, 0502 misfeed:
    KM-3552ci jams 0512, 0502

For 0533, 0534 we've had to increase page separation. You've probably had to adjust page separation before. Decreasing the spring tension increases the page separation. I think of it this way: More spring tension makes the separation roller follow the feed roller more. Less spring tension makes the separation follow less, resisting multiple feeds.

For 0413, 0502, 0000 won't clear:
    A dusted over registration sensor will cause this.

For C8020, C8030:
    The punch motor fails.

For C9040:
    The original lift plate breaks at the rear post.

These machine use the empty black toner cartridge as the waste receptacle. There is a switch that is flipped on the cartridge when you remove the empty, so the machine can tell the difference between a full and an empty. So if the enduser takes out an empty black toner cartridge and tries to put it back in ... well it won't go back in. We get lots of calls for such things. It doesn't help to tell the enduser that shaking an empty toner cartridge doesn't help. ITS STILL EMPTY!

=^..^=
    I love reading your posts. So detailed. I feel like I'm ahead of the game on these machines already. Much appreciated.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I was told the 4 series will be out soon, around march

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I love reading your posts. So detailed. I feel like I'm ahead of the game on these machines already. Much appreciated.
    I believe every qualified tech being active here for month or two knows what to expect from BC. This man is more like rock superstar for me, almost everything I read from him is instant hit and I really enjoy emanation of calm wisdom and friendlies of his posts.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Regarding the "3" series you can carry all firmware on one memory stick and providing the folders have the correct names walk from a 4053ci to a 7003i without modifying the files on the memory stick. Plug it in and update.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Regarding the "3" series you can carry all firmware on one memory stick and providing the folders have the correct names walk from a 4053ci to a 7003i without modifying the files on the memory stick. Plug it in and update.
    Hey, I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I believe every qualified tech being active here for month or two knows what to expect from BC. This man is more like rock superstar for me, almost everything I read from him is instant hit and I really enjoy emanation of calm wisdom and friendlies of his posts.

I'm automatically drawn to the members on here who like to get down in the weeds from a technical standpoint. I love that type of stuff. I can get on folks nerves because I ask a lot of questions and have a need to understand "WHY". It's not enough for me to simply know how to do something...I need to understand HOW and WHY.

I like to pick a person and try to model my approach to copier repair after them. For me that person is blackcat. But to reach the level that blackcat is on, I know I have to put in the hard work. He didn't wake up one morning knowing what he knows. Nope. He put in the work and left no stone unturned.

In many ways I feel that he's taught me more than any copier school would.

I'll also add this and I don't think blackcat will mind if I share this....

I've had conversations with blackcat via email and he's taken being thorough to a higher level than I've ever seen in my career. The detailed notes and pictures. The different test charts he uses to isolate a problem. Just the paperwork he keeps in general. That's a job all by itself and time consuming.

If there are any young techs reading this, model you game after his but understand it's hard work.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Will you stop that. I'm blushing. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

One last thing...

slim is another one to pay attention to. His knowledge is vast. There's not much he doesn't know. He and I work on different brands of copiers so I really don't understand what he's taking about on copiers. However, he taught me a whole lot about networking. So did Ken.

There are a lot of knowledgeable folk on here. I point to these people because I've had more interaction with them.

Saying all of that, I gotta go get ready to watch some football. Go Saints!!