Thread: DP-772 3551ci

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    DP-772  3551ci

DP-772 3551ci

One of my customers is scanning statements (8.5 x 5.5) LEF. When size is set to auto, the scans come out as 8.5 x 11. The only solution I came up with is to create a shortcut for 8.5 x 5.5 LEF. I'm curious why auto doesn't automatically select the right size.

Anyone?

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DP-772  3551ci

Re: DP-772 3551ci

Check the tech bulletin for the grease on the ADF width PWB. The original grease dried and stopped conducting. You can use vasaline if you need to.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

DP-772  3551ci

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    Check the tech bulletin for the grease on the ADF width PWB. The original grease dried and stopped conducting. You can use vasaline if you need to.

Thanks. Does anyone have this tech bulletin? Thanks.

Edit: The ADF reads 11.5 and 11 x 17 just fine. It's the length of the paper that is being read incorrectly. Then again, I see no sensor that can read 5.5 inches.

DP-772  3551ci

It does appear that the width grid is the problem. I took the doc. feeder tray apart, cleaned and greased. Still not reading correct size. . I'm out of conductive grease and just used plain grease. I'll buy some conductive grease in the morning and see if that fixes the problem.

BTW; I have 2 machines here with a DP-772 that are doing this same thing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Billy, there is likely nothing wrong with the DP. The DP detects both width and length. Width (side guides) is detected usually through the with pwb and the sliders that you have seen or with a potentiometer on some DP's. Length is detected by a single sensor, either the paper is long enough to actuate the sensor or it is not. Basic US sizes are detected as follows:
    5.5 w X 8.5, statement (guides at 5.5", length sensor not actuated N/A)
    8.5 w x 11, letter R (guides at 8.5", length sensor N/A)
    8.5 w x 14, legal (guides at 8.5", length sensor actuated)
    11 w x 8.5, letter (guides at 11", length sensor N/A)
    11 w x 17, ledger (guides at 11", length sensor actuated)

When you place statement paper in the DP tray LEF, the guides are at 8.5" and the length sensor is not actuated so it thinks it is letter. The only way to detect statement in the DP is to feed 5.5" lead edge SEF. If the customer needs to feed LEF direction you did the correct thing in creating a shortcut or you could do a program key if you need features in addition to the original size.

Don't want to see you waste time trying to make this DP do something it was not designed to.

DP-772  3551ci

Quote Originally Posted by CWP View Post
    Billy, there is likely nothing wrong with the DP. The DP detects both width and length. Width (side guides) is detected usually through the with pwb and the sliders that you have seen or with a potentiometer on some DP's. Length is detected by a single sensor, either the paper is long enough to actuate the sensor or it is not. Basic US sizes are detected as follows:
    5.5 w X 8.5, statement (guides at 5.5", length sensor not actuated N/A)
    8.5 w x 11, letter R (guides at 8.5", length sensor N/A)
    8.5 w x 14, legal (guides at 8.5", length sensor actuated)
    11 w x 8.5, letter (guides at 11", length sensor N/A)
    11 w x 17, ledger (guides at 11", length sensor actuated)

When you place statement paper in the DP tray LEF, the guides are at 8.5" and the length sensor is not actuated so it thinks it is letter. The only way to detect statement in the DP is to feed 5.5" lead edge SEF. If the customer needs to feed LEF direction you did the correct thing in creating a shortcut or you could do a program key if you need features in addition to the original size.

Don't want to see you waste time trying to make this DP do something it was not designed to.
    I appreciate that. I had drawn the same conclusion after playing around with it for a while. It's nice to have someone confirm it. I really appreciate it.