Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera 3051ci white lines Dev units going bad?

Re: Kyocera 3051ci white lines Dev units going bad?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Yes it would work, but that would mean that the enduser would have to make a conscious effort to make a certain percentage of color images in-between the black ones. I can't imagine that happening. =^..^=

I see what you're saying, but have you ever tried to run some color copies to see if it actually clears up the under-toning problem? You have more experience than me with this problem. I'd really like to know if the problem is an idle color DV unit or is calibration compensating for some other problem.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I see what you're saying, but have you ever tried to run some color copies to see if it actually clears up the under-toning problem? You have more experience than me with this problem. I'd really like to know if the problem is an idle color DV unit or is calibration compensating for some other problem.
    If you walk up to the machine and manually do ONLY a developer refresh, than make some prints (and the issue is resolved), then your developer refresh solved the issue.

If you do a color calibration, the machine automatically does a developer refresh, among other things.

Does it really matter how you get the desired effect? I guess I don't know where you're going with this. The purpose of color calibration is to continually compensate for variables like developer density, drum wear, transfer belt wear, charge roller wear, among other things. It's perfectly OK to compensate. That's what calibration is for. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

If you walk up to the machine and manually do ONLY a developer refresh, than make some prints (and the issue is resolved), then your developer refresh solved the issue.

If you do a color calibration, the machine automatically does a developer refresh, among other things.

Does it really matter how you get the desired effect? I guess I don't know where you're going with this. =^..^=

Here's where I'm going and I could be totally off-base. If the problem isn't a simple stir of the DV unit and we're making the machine run calibration more often than it's set from the factory, what effect is this having? Calibration can increase the DV bias, toner ratio and other things. Is it causing the machine to run dirtier? I don't know. It may not cause any undesired effects. Just thinking out loud.

Here's where I'm going and I could be totally off-base. If the problem isn't a simple stir of the DV unit and we're making the machine run calibration more often than it's set from the factory, what effect is this having? Calibration can increase the DV bias, toner ratio and other things. Is it causing the machine to run dirtier? I don't know. It may not cause any undesired effects. Just thinking out loud.
    All those consumables will have to get changed eventually. I like that the machine has the ability to compensate for these variables. Otherwise we would be back in the analog days where every 20K images we'd be tweaking lamp intensity, developer bias, and primary charge to maintain image quality. It's pretty nice that the machine can do this all by itself. =^..^=

All those consumables will have to get changed eventually. I like that the machine has the ability to compensate for these variables. Otherwise we would be back in the analog days where every 20K images we'd be tweaking lamp intensity, developer bias, and primary charge to maintain image quality. It's pretty nice that the machine can do this all by itself. =^..^=

I suppose you're right. Sorry for being a pain in ass. I was more curious than anything.

I suppose you're right. Sorry for being a pain in ass. I was more curious than anything.
    You're making my brain hurt. I don't usually get to think this much. LOL =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Does it really matter how you get the desired effect? I guess I don't know where you're going with this. The purpose of color calibration is to continually compensate for variables like developer density, drum wear, transfer belt wear, charge roller wear, among other things. It's perfectly OK to compensate. That's what calibration is for. =^..^=
    Off topic I know.

We have some KM bizhub C224e doing a tons of BW printing and zero color output. And yes I know it's wrong model for this customer. The point is that, every time I check the machine - bird page coming great, solid halftones CMYK are great, no developer stirring here as you know machine has only basic calibrations and that's all. Brilliant engineering job they made with this model!
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

One last thing.

My problem machine has a different problem than the one blackcat describes and it's bugging me because I can't wrap my mind around the problem.

This customer prints color every day. And a lot of it. Yet, the colors looked washed out @ Magenta and Cyan. I can run DV refresh and calibration and it clears the problem right up. But it returns days later. The customer doesn't even realize the problem because all they print is "spot" color. But I know the problem is there.

I'm not gonna change the calibration rate on the customer's machine. I'm gonna change both DV units and bring the problem DV units back to the shop and install in my test machine. These DV units only have about 100k on them. If I find anything, I'll let everyone know.

You're making my brain hurt. I don't usually get to think this much. LOL =^..^=

You'll have to overlook me, I drive everyone crazy with a bunch of questions. Just ask slim and Ken. I must have asked them a million questions about networking. I don't mean anything by it. Just my way of learning and you've been a huge help. In fact, with everything I've learned from you about the color machines, I'm starting to feel like a real copier tech again.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

In my technical life, I have always gone with the attitude that there are no stupid questions, just sometimes mean or wiseass answers. Or sometimes answers that unknowingly had the wrong facts.

For years I have fearlessly and without remorse asked what some others might think was a stupid or obvious question.

It has served me well as I have learned a lot.