Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    5052 6052 Multi Feed 0511 0512

I have a customer who is using 75gsm paper and its multi feeding from all trays even tried moving the paper to another copier same thing multi feed jams. Paper looked good just wondering if anyone has any tips for separation issues out the tray? I adjusted the separation pressure on the feed unit but it still multi feeds even with brand new tyres and pressure to the max. Its a 5052ci machine.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: 5052 6052 Multi Feed 0511 0512

I've had to adjust separation on the KM-xxx2 series, usually increase page separation, by decreasing spring pressure. Is that what you did?

Possibly related, I have a Toshiba customer that I have increased the page separation, and it doesn't multifeed any more ... but it does misfeed occasionally. But riffling the paper allowed me to pass 150 consecutive. When it gets to that part of the stack, you can hear the rubbing as the rollers slip on the paper surface, leaving scuffs. I hate blaming paper but this paper is very difficult to separate. My customer has been riffling, and not a jam since.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I've had to adjust separation on the KM-xxx2 series, usually increase page separation, by decreasing spring pressure. Is that what you did?

Possibly related, I have a Toshiba customer that I have increased the page separation, and it doesn't multifeed any more ... but it does misfeed occasionally. But riffling the paper allowed me to pass 150 consecutive. When it gets to that part of the stack, you can hear the rubbing as the rollers slip on the paper surface, leaving scuffs. I hate blaming paper but this paper is very difficult to separate. My customer has been riffling, and not a jam since.
    =^..^=

I've increased/decreased page separation before in an attempt to get the customer's paper to feed. It can be a big pain in the ass to get it just right.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I've changed increased/decreased page separation before in an attempt to get the customer's paper to feed. It can be a big pain in the ass to get it just right.
    True. I try to make small changes, then if I'm getting a small improvement, maybe go further. On the KM-XXX2 series there are only five increments, default at center. There is always the option of using a different separation spring, but I haven't had to try that yet.

We've had excellent success on Toshibas, particularly feeding heavy ledger sized labels, by increasing the downward pressure at the pickup roller, and decreasing page separation. It's mostly trial & error ... and a really big box of springs.
    =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Tricky subject paper is. It may looks normal but eye can't analyze paper structure, ingredients, humidity etc. You're either lucky with paper adjustments or not. Anytime make tests with your own known good working paper. As general rule cheap paper is cheap for a number of reasons.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    True. I try to make small changes, then if I'm getting a small improvement, maybe go further. On the KM-XXX2 series there are only five increments, default at center. There is always the option of using a different separation spring, but I haven't had to try that yet.

We've had excellent success on Toshibas, particularly feeding heavy ledger sized labels, by increasing the downward pressure at the pickup roller, and decreasing page separation. It's mostly trial & error ... and a really big box of springs.
    =^..^=

You're a better man than me, blackcat.

Is this a design flaw with the machines? What I'm trying to say is the machine rated to feed this type of paper and simply won't do it or is it the paper itself?

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Tricky subject paper is. It may looks normal but eye can't analyze paper structure, ingredients, humidity etc. You're either lucky with paper adjustments or not. Anytime make tests with your own known good working paper. As general rule cheap paper is cheap for a number of reasons.

All true. The toughest part about cheap paper is dealing with the customer. I always feel like they think I'm bullshitting them. My policy is that if I bring a good ream of paper and it feeds fine, then they need to get good paper. In the past I've gone to great lengths to get their paper to work. I don't do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    You're a better man than me, blackcat.

Is this a design flaw with the machines? What I'm trying to say is the machine rated to feed this type of paper and simply won't do it or is it the paper itself?
    This media is way too heavy for the tray pickup mechanism, but telling the customer that they have to use the bypass tray does not mean that they will use the bypass tray.

You'll get used to endusers ignoring your advice, especially when its inconvenient for them.
    =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

In past I have battled with a lot of bad paper feed problems. The point is mid range A3 Toshiba's feed rollers were PMed at 80k and they last about that even with good papers. Then with bad papers they went half life before feed roll goes race slick that was cured usually with exchange of pick with feed roll until second roll goes bad. Nowadays same range machines different make paper feed rollers easily excel this 2-3-4 times up to the point where actually paper feed problems start not with failed/worn out rollers but with sleeping oneways/torque limiter. To have paper multifeed with current machine line for me is always bad-bad paper(presumably machine is not a lemon).
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

So you guys are saying less pressure less multi feed I put more pressure on the separation 🤪.

I'd adust the pick up but it's already weak, any weaker don't think it would feed..