Thread: F248 Question

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    F248 Question

F248 Question

has anyone had a F248 error that wasn't caused by a print job...

I have a CS4551 that will occasionally throw one usually first thing in the morning...but not always.

All known computers printing to device have had print drivers updated within the last week or so, and the machine itself has the latest firmware installed. It has been in place since august, and has only started this on Jan 22 2021

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    F248 Question

Re: F248 Question

There are many pages on this site that pertain to F248 codes. A lot of different thoughts and theories. I did find this one interesting, though.

I see this code in the event log on virtually every machine i go to.

One TA6052ci i went to had the code every time they printed a page from windows explorer but just certain web pages , I then tried printing the web page in chrome browser and it worked fine .

So after checking Fw & updating machine as per Service Bulletin (SB 2ND-0023(G221) F248 printing certain files ) this made no difference at all.

I did however find the only way to get everything printing OK was to untick Advanced Printing Features in the advanced tab under Printer Properties on the Driver KX702415 on the Server.

I wish Kyocera would make this unticked by default when installing the driver as i think this would solve a lot of intermittent errors especially if the customer is using PaperCut or other print management solution . I have also had this solve a lot of problems printing to custom box as well.

I am no IT Geek and don't understand the implications of unticking this feature as this seems to have no adverse effect on anything else and their IT Dept were happy to try it.

I have found a couple of links which explains it a bit better

https://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/Ena...intingFeatures

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-windows-2000

I will now be unticking this option on all future Printer installs

So hopefully we shouldn't be getting as many calls For F248

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/kyocera-mita-copystar/118106-f248-post556569.html?118106=#post556569

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    F248 Question

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    There are many pages on this site that pertain to F248 codes. A lot of different thoughts and theories. I did find this one interesting, though.

I see this code in the event log on virtually every machine i go to.

One TA6052ci i went to had the code every time they printed a page from windows explorer but just certain web pages , I then tried printing the web page in chrome browser and it worked fine .

So after checking Fw & updating machine as per Service Bulletin (SB 2ND-0023(G221) F248 printing certain files ) this made no difference at all.

I did however find the only way to get everything printing OK was to untick Advanced Printing Features in the advanced tab under Printer Properties on the Driver KX702415 on the Server.

I wish Kyocera would make this unticked by default when installing the driver as i think this would solve a lot of intermittent errors especially if the customer is using PaperCut or other print management solution . I have also had this solve a lot of problems printing to custom box as well.

I am no IT Geek and don't understand the implications of unticking this feature as this seems to have no adverse effect on anything else and their IT Dept were happy to try it.

I have found a couple of links which explains it a bit better

https://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/Ena...intingFeatures

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-windows-2000

I will now be unticking this option on all future Printer installs

So hopefully we shouldn't be getting as many calls For F248

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/kyocera-mita-copystar/118106-f248-post556569.html?118106=#post556569

Thanks for the input ill check this out...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

It’s likely something on site is throwing some random rubbish at your copiers port . Had one years ago where a clients POS system automatically created a report and sent it to the “default “ printer .
    Wireshark found that one.
    Change Printer IP ? As a test?

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    F248 Question

The way I caught mine was by doing a data capture. It ended up being a print job for a sharp machine they no longer had, and the printer had actually been deleted on that workstation. Every time they powered the workstation on, it sent the job. The only way I could fix it, was to change the IP of machine & change the ports on the workstations. Luckily there was only a couple of them in a small office.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    F248 Question

Quote Originally Posted by Scottb View Post
    has anyone had a F248 error that wasn't caused by a print job...

I have a CS4551 that will occasionally throw one usually first thing in the morning...but not always.

All known computers printing to device have had print drivers updated within the last week or so, and the machine itself has the latest firmware installed. It has been in place since august, and has only started this on Jan 22 2021

What FW is the machine on?

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk