Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    3501i and 3051ci print quality

Ok, so I have a customer with an HP 553 color laser printer and they print out schematic prints and everything looks perfect and then they print to either of the 2 Kyocera machines (3501i or 3051ci) and the thin lines on the schematic blue print type page come out much lighter than the HP printer and they want it to print out just as dark as the HP. I copy a test pattern and it looks great and if I take their print out from the HP and copy it, the thin lines come out too light, but I can darken the density and copy it out good enough, but I can't get it to print out the thin lines dark enough. I put that same image on a thumb drive and printed it out on a couple Kyocera machines in the shop(same models) and still those machines can't seem to print out the thin lines very dark. Old or new components doesn't seem to matter on these thin lines.

I can't find anywhere in the service manual how to reasonably darken the prints, without changing the main charge ac/dc settings and if I do change them to get the thin lines dark enough, it causes some kind of arching and putting spots on the page. Bad idea!

The only reasonable adjustment to darken anything, that I can find, is for copying or sending

How in the heck can I safely darken print jobs, to get these thin lines to come out as good as the HP printer does?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: 3501i and 3051ci print quality

The explanation I usually give is that the HP will never look exactly like the Kyocera, for the same reason as the HP will never look exactly like a Ricoh or a Konica Minolta or a Canon. They are just different machines with different parts and different technology.

A color profile may change the color output, but it's unlikely that they'll look the same. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I had some luck adjusting U485 on the CI series in setting the color profile to another brand.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

i agree with black. same as when a customer says the color doesn't match what is on my computer monitor. ummmm different brands/devices.
    i even had a customer one time knowingly print on a HP. when it exited out of the old print there was a curl to the paper. when she fed it through the ADF on the lexmark copier, she got more curl. but she would never admit it was the HP. always blamed the lexmark. "the lexmark causes the curl". everyone else in the office knew the true story. and agreed with me totally when i informed everyone what was happening. and she still wouldn't admit the issue was the HP.