Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TA-3551

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    TA-3551

TA-3551

I have a customer that does a high volume of scanning and about every 2 weeks I get a call for black lines. It's always due to something on the slit glass. It's very hard to see with the naked eye unless you shine a light on it. Whatever's on the slit glass won't clean off with a rag and alcohol. It's a very hard substance and I have to scrape it off with a flat blade.

Anyone ever run across anything similar? I'm thinking they're scanning paper with some type of adhesive??

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    TA-3551

Re: TA-3551

Here's something you can try:

Get yourself some self-adhesive mylar, and cut out some rectangles 5mm x 22mm (4 should be enough).

Identify the area of the white plate that contacts the ends of the slit glass. Install one of your mylars at each end of the slit glass to increase the gap to the white plate by ~0.33mm. Make sure that these mylars are not in the original path or they'll cause jamming.

On a few occasions, I've gone back and added a second layer, but usually 1 layer is enough.

Now if that contaminent is wet when passing through, this won't make any difference.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    TA-3551

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I have a customer that does a high volume of scanning and about every 2 weeks I get a call for black lines. It's always due to something on the slit glass. It's very hard to see with the naked eye unless you shine a light on it. Whatever's on the slit glass won't clean off with a rag and alcohol. It's a very hard substance and I have to scrape it off with a flat blade.

Anyone ever run across anything similar? I'm thinking they're scanning paper with some type of adhesive??

i don't believe i would use a flat blade on the glass. i typically use my thumbnail whenever cleaning solution doesn't remove something on the glass. that prevents a possible scratch. personally i haven't seen something that difficult to get off the glass occur that often. i did have a customer tell me once she had to clean the adf glass daily. and after cleaning copies come out clear. i happened to look up and noticed the AC vent was overhead and about 15 ft from the copier. and that vent was covered with dust. plus they have someone come in every few days and clean the office. i would just be mindful of the entire environment around the copier. though i bet you have thought of that already.

TA-3551

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

Get yourself some self-adhesive mylar, and cut out some rectangles 5mm x 22mm (4 should be enough).

Identify the area of the white plate that contacts the ends of the slit glass. Install one of your mylars at each end of the slit glass to increase the gap to the white plate by ~0.33mm. Make sure that these mylars are not in the original path or they'll cause jamming.

On a few occasions, I've gone back and added a second layer, but usually 1 layer is enough.

Now if that contaminent is wet when passing through, this won't make any difference.
    =^..^=
    awesome MacGyver !

TA-3551

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

=^..^=

I like that. Will try it next time I'm out that way. Thank you.

TA-3551

i have been told before by one of our more experienced techs that he has used an oil on the adf glass. i have never tried this before. but he said a light coating helps prevent stuff from adhering to the glass. sorry i don't know the specific name of the oil.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    TA-3551

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    i have been told before by one of our more experienced techs that he has used an oil on the adf glass. i have never tried this before. but he said a light coating helps prevent stuff from adhering to the glass. sorry i don't know the specific name of the oil.
    Probably silicone fuser oil, but that can accumulate dirt also, still requiring cleaning. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

TA-3551

It could also be a gel pen. Have seen this before. The ink in gel pens does not dry as quickly as a ball point, so if they sign a page or make a note and then scan, the ink can come off the paper and adhere to the glass. Discovered this the hard way after getting four calls in a month on the same machine and the "substance" was always in the same area on the slit glass. Questioning the customer discovered that the area where the "dirt" was where they had clients signing on a form. Looking at the pens available for the clients, they were all gel pens. Had the customer sign a form with my ball point pen and then scan no problem. Had the customer sign the form with their gel pen and the next scan had lines. Once the gel ink dries on the slit glass it is very tough to remove and is very difficult for a user to see [no flashlight]. You can scrape it off with your fingernail or as we do, put a few drops of 90%+ alcohol on the affected area and wait ten seconds or more and clean it off. We use alcohol because Windex does not dissolve the gel ink.

TA-3551

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    It could also be a gel pen. Have seen this before. The ink in gel pens does not dry as quickly as a ball point, so if they sign a page or make a note and then scan, the ink can come off the paper and adhere to the glass. Discovered this the hard way after getting four calls in a month on the same machine and the "substance" was always in the same area on the slit glass. Questioning the customer discovered that the area where the "dirt" was where they had clients signing on a form. Looking at the pens available for the clients, they were all gel pens. Had the customer sign a form with my ball point pen and then scan no problem. Had the customer sign the form with their gel pen and the next scan had lines. Once the gel ink dries on the slit glass it is very tough to remove and is very difficult for a user to see [no flashlight]. You can scrape it off with your fingernail or as we do, put a few drops of 90%+ alcohol on the affected area and wait ten seconds or more and clean it off. We use alcohol because Windex does not dissolve the gel ink.

Good investigative work. I'll put that on my list of things to check.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    TA-3551

Yep, either silicone fuser oil or Rain-X will help in keeping the glass clean.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook