Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    TaskAlfa 3551ci - "black toner empty"

I was called out to this machine at the end of the day. The customer had just installed a new black toner but the machine still says replace black toner. I tried another new cartridge and got the same results.

I'm thinking the chip reader isn't reading the chip? This is the first time I've run into this problem.

Any thoughts?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: TaskAlfa 3551ci - "black toner empty"

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I was called out to this machine at the end of the day. The customer had just installed a new black toner but the machine still says replace black toner. I tried another new cartridge and got the same results.

I'm thinking the chip reader isn't reading the chip? This is the first time I've run into this problem.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried updating the firmware ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Have you tried updating the firmware ?

I believe the machine has the latest firmware installed but I will double check. Have you seen firmware cause this problem?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I had the same problem on a 3212i it would not recognize the new toner cartridge even with the latest Firmware. I had to take the drum and Developer units out, cleaned them and reinserted the cartridge, then it recognized it but it didn't show the % so we'll see what happens when they replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by A\ztech View Post
    I had the same problem on a 3212i it would not recognize the new toner cartridge even with the latest Firmware. I had to take the drum and Developer units out, cleaned them and reinserted the cartridge, then it recognized it but it didn't show the % so we'll see what happens when they replace it.

That's odd. I'm gonna try replacing the RFID board. But I seem to remember reading something on here about toner not being added to the DV unit. Can't remember the details, tho.

That's odd. I'm gonna try replacing the RFID board. But I seem to remember reading something on here about toner not being added to the DV unit. Can't remember the details, tho.

EDIT: I think I remember the details on "toner not being added to the DV unit." That was a different problem than mine. I believe the post I'm thinking about was blackcat talking about a DV seal blocking the toner path. Anyway, that was on a 3552ci, I believe and is unrelated to my problem. I THINK.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

EDIT: I think I remember the details on "toner not being added to the DV unit." That was a different problem than mine. I believe the post I'm thinking about was blackcat talking about a DV seal blocking the toner path. Anyway, that was on a 3552ci, I believe and is unrelated to my problem. I THINK.
    Your memory is correct.The AlphardII is not subject to that issue.

Which toner is installed? TK-8307K or TK-8309K? They look very similar, but the TK-8309K will not be recognized in a Kyocera.
    If the machine is recognizing CMY but not K, I doubt very much that it's the RFID board.

There is one thing you can check though:
    I did this to myself while changing an engine PWB on a Saturn. The connectors were really difficult to get unplugged ... and during all that tugging, I accidentally unplugged the other end of the harness to the RFID board where it passes through the rear frame union connector. On the Saturn it's behind the engine board, so you can't see it. The symptom was ALL toner cartridges registered "Non-Kyocera Toner Installed" or "Add Toner Black/Cyan/Magenta/Yellow".

I've also seen defective RFID chips on Saturn toner cartridges.

Much more common is to find compacted toner in the toner cartridges. What I do in this situation is remove the toner cartridge, open the shutter, then rotate the drive to trickle out some toner. Is it hard to turn? Do you get any toner (or rocks)? Does the inner drive rotate? (I've seen twisted off "D" shafts). Is the whole seal removed? If the drive is intact and the seal removed but the toner is compacted, I'll take the toner cartridge out to the alley behind the building, close the shutter and bang the toner cartridge on the pavement until the toner trickles out smoothly.

You can also get false "Add Toner" indications if the developing unit gets over-toned, overfilled with toner, or you're losing agitation to the developing unit.

Whew! That should give you a few things to check. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Your memory is correct.The AlphardII is not subject to that issue.

Which toner is installed? TK-8307K or TK-8309K? They look very similar, but the TK-8309K will not be recognized in a Kyocera.
    If the machine is recognizing CMY but not K, I doubt very much that it's the RFID board.

There is one thing you can check though:
    I did this to myself while changing an engine PWB on a Saturn. The connectors were really difficult to get unplugged ... and during all that tugging, I accidentally unplugged the other end of the harness to the RFID board where it passes through the rear frame union connector. On the Saturn it's behind the engine board, so you can't see it. The symptom was ALL toner cartridges registered "Non-Kyocera Toner Installed" or "Add Toner Black/Cyan/Magenta/Yellow".

I've also seen defective RFID chips on Saturn toner cartridges.

Much more common is to find compacted toner in the toner cartridges. What I do in this situation is remove the toner cartridge, open the shutter, then rotate the drive to trickle out some toner. Is it hard to turn? Do you get any toner (or rocks)? Does the inner drive rotate? (I've seen twisted off "D" shafts). Is the whole seal removed? If the drive is intact and the seal removed but the toner is compacted, I'll take the toner cartridge out to the alley behind the building, close the shutter and bang the toner cartridge on the pavement until the toner trickles out smoothly.

You can also get false "Add Toner" indications if the developing unit gets over-toned, overfilled with toner, or you're losing agitation to the developing unit.

Whew! That should give you a few things to check. =^..^=

I believe you covered all the bases, blackcat.

The carts are TK-8307. C, M, and Y are all reading fine. Only the K is showing empty and needs to be replaced. When I installed a new cartridge it did absolutely nothing. It didn't even try to add toner. It's as if I didn't do a damn thing.

As far as the connector from the Engine PWB to the RFID board, I haven't touched any boards on this machine but I'll check it out just to be sure.

As always, you've been a big help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Out of left field here but....I've ran across this a couple of times.

If the side transport door was opened while the toner message is displayed and then closed but not quite completely closed, the toner message will not clear after replacing the toner.

Customer opens the side door and closes it by pushing it on the front top and rear top is still slightly open. Then changes toner.

The machine doesn't show a door open message because the toner message hasn't been cleared and the toner message doesn't clear because the side door is "open".

Worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    Out of left field here but....I've ran across this a couple of times.

If the side transport door was opened while the toner message is displayed and then closed but not quite completely closed, the toner message will not clear after replacing the toner.

Customer opens the side door and closes it by pushing it on the front top and rear top is still slightly open. Then changes toner.

The machine doesn't show a door open message because the toner message hasn't been cleared and the toner message doesn't clear because the side door is "open".

Worth checking.

I'll be damned. Thanks for the info. That sounds like something this customer would do. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks again.