Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    TA 5501 Fax with voip connection not working reliably

I have had all kinds of problems with this fax. Used tech bulletin 90 to try to resolve errors. Going back this week they say fax is not working at all. Last time I was there I turned the ECM off and slowed baud rate to as low as it would go. My question is... Is their a VOIP that simply will not accept a fax transmission. Also on a separate fax issue. How can the VA send encrypted faxes which has never worked. Thanks so much for any help !!!!

Re: TA 5501 Fax with voip connection not working reliably

Do a reset on fax and start again.
    I would get with there voip vendor and make sure things are set correctly on their end and if they recommend any changes to the equipment.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There may be a problem with the fax line possibly noise? You could have the fax provider check for that. One other thing, I know on Sharp fax kits they recommend using a 2 conductor phone cable for the fax as opposed to the 4 conductor, it may be worth a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug James View Post
    I have had all kinds of problems with this fax. Used tech bulletin 90 to try to resolve errors. Going back this week they say fax is not working at all. Last time I was there I turned the ECM off and slowed baud rate to as low as it would go. My question is... Is their a VOIP that simply will not accept a fax transmission. Also on a separate fax issue. How can the VA send encrypted faxes which has never worked. Thanks so much for any help !!!!
    Try following TB 99 for fax on VOIP. I have not run into a VOIP implementation that I could not get to work, though sometimes very slowly. First step, never turn off ECM. If a packet is dropped and ECM is OFF the machine cannot request a resend resulting in a failed transmission. One of the biggest problems with fax on VOIP is the loss of packets which interrupts the critical fax timing. Fax being designed for an analog phone system has very explicit timing requirements which if not followed result in a failed transmission/reception. I have had to change incoming and outgoing DB levels and even the echo timing to get some to work. The lowest baud rate I have had to set was 9600. As for your second question, Kyo units from the early 90's had an encryption mode built into the fax system. The user selects the encryption key, securely sends it to the receiving user who enters it into their machine then all communications between the units is encrypted, works quite well. Have a few drug enforcement units using it. They have a network wide encryption key and encryption keys for individual locations and headquarters, prevents someone from tapping a fax line and recording the transmission and then playing it back to a fax to see the transmission because the encryption key exchange is interactive and without the proper response the key is considered not valid.

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Do a reset on fax and start again.
    I would get with there voip vendor and make sure things are set correctly on their end and if they recommend any changes to the equipment.
    Thanks so much, Also how do I reset the fax. I looked and couldn't find anything on that. I am going to have there phone guys out there finally. Was like pulling teeth....

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Try following TB 99 for fax on VOIP. I have not run into a VOIP implementation that I could not get to work, though sometimes very slowly. First step, never turn off ECM. If a packet is dropped and ECM is OFF the machine cannot request a resend resulting in a failed transmission. One of the biggest problems with fax on VOIP is the loss of packets which interrupts the critical fax timing. Fax being designed for an analog phone system has very explicit timing requirements which if not followed result in a failed transmission/reception. I have had to change incoming and outgoing DB levels and even the echo timing to get some to work. The lowest baud rate I have had to set was 9600. As for your second question, Kyo units from the early 90's had an encryption mode built into the fax system. The user selects the encryption key, securely sends it to the receiving user who enters it into their machine then all communications between the units is encrypted, works quite well. Have a few drug enforcement units using it. They have a network wide encryption key and encryption keys for individual locations and headquarters, prevents someone from tapping a fax line and recording the transmission and then playing it back to a fax to see the transmission because the encryption key exchange is interactive and without the proper response the key is considered not valid.
    Wow, this is really cool. Thank you so much for this. Very Grateful. I am heading there tomorrow and this really helps !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    There may be a problem with the fax line possibly noise? You could have the fax provider check for that. One other thing, I know on Sharp fax kits they recommend using a 2 conductor phone cable for the fax as opposed to the 4 conductor, it may be worth a look at.
    I checked that when I was there last, thanks to you.... The plug is a 4 pronged plug but is like 20 ft long estimated and I haven't been able to find one so far...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

[QUOTE=Doug James;1803436]L'ho verificato l'ultima volta che ci sono stato, grazie a te.... La spina è a 4 poli ma è lunga circa 20 piedi e finora non sono riuscito a trovarne una ...[/CITAZIONE]
    in italy just cut the 2 external cables

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug James View Post
    Thanks so much, Also how do I reset the fax. I looked and couldn't find anything on that. I am going to have there phone guys out there finally. Was like pulling teeth....
    U600 Initializing all data
    AFTER SET YOUR CONTRY

Well I went back there today. I am thinking that they are running as good as possible. The previous visit I turned the ECM off and set to the lowest baud rate. In retrospect I believe this was a fatal error. When I got there they were using there Ecosys M series. They said they had no problems with it. I took the settings from the ecosys and put them on the TA 5501. After Initializing the fax. I sure do appreciate the responses !!!