Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Copystar 306ci machine gun noise while paper exits

Hi all,
    I have a Copystar 306ci that makes a machine gun type noise when the sheet starts to exit. This is 81/2 x 11 and it starts when maybe 1-2 inches has come out of the exit assembly and continues till the last 1-2 inches of the sheet exits so it only makes the noise during the center of the sheet as it exits. I have replaced the exit assembly and the fuser with no help. I was thinking maybe the drive assembly next.
    Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Copystar 306ci machine gun noise while paper exits

Re: Copystar 306ci machine gun noise while paper exits

Does that fuser drive turn on and off as paper gets to it or do those exit rollers turn all the time. Don't know that particular machine.

Assuming you changed anything the paper hits on the way out and the fuser unit. Then your on the right track see if there is one drive or one for fuser and one for exit rollers.

If there is a separate exit roller drive then check that motor and gears maybe loose belts?

Just to give you input.

Let us know.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by 40yearsplus View Post
    Does that fuser drive turn on and off as paper gets to it or do those exit rollers turn all the time. Don't know that particular machine.

Assuming you changed anything the paper hits on the way out and the fuser unit. Then your on the right track see if there is one drive or one for fuser and one for exit rollers.

If there is a separate exit roller drive then check that motor and gears maybe loose belts?

Just to give you input.

Let us know.
    \
    Thanks for the input. Yes, I changed the entire exit assembly. The paper comes right out of the fuser and into the exit assembly and the exit assembly is made up of maybe 100 different parts, rollers, gears, motors, switches, sensors. I changed the exit first and then the fuser, neither one had any improvement

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Inspect the gears of the registration roller, especially the tiny set at the front end of the steel registration roller, and also test if the rubber companion to the registration is easy to turn, and mechanically sound.
    I can't remember if it's possible to drive the registration by itself in maintenance mode u30 on this model... I can imagine that if the companion were not fully meshing with the tiny drive gear, or perhaps is siezed, that the presence of the paper might make it silent until it was past, then the gears' distance to each other changes.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post
    Inspect the gears of the registration roller, especially the tiny set at the front end of the steel registration roller, and also test if the rubber companion to the registration is easy to turn, and mechanically sound.
    I can't remember if it's possible to drive the registration by itself in maintenance mode u30 on this model... I can imagine that if the companion were not fully meshing with the tiny drive gear, or perhaps is siezed, that the presence of the paper might make it silent until it was past, then the gears' distance to each other changes.
    Thanks, I will take a look at that next week. I ran all the motors in sim U30 and it never made a noise, just smooth running. It only does it when the sheet just starts to exit the exit assembly into the tray. It looks like 1/4 of the sheet is out of the machine and 3/4 is still in the fuser and exit assembly. That is when it starts making the noise. Leave it to me for the weird ones.

Technician

Found my problem. It was a cracked gear in the drive assembly