Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Angry Kyocera Papercut and Aruba switches - Fail to wake

Hey Y'all

I have a client with two 5053 on a Papercut hold and release Follow Me queue. The network runs over Aruba switches and that's where I believe the problem lies

The copiers go to sleep no problem, user visits one of the copiers, logs into Papercut no problem, releases his/her jobs, DOESN'T PRINT. Disconnect the LAN cable from the copier for 5 secs, re-attach and hey presto, out come the pages

Aruba switches seem to be the culprit but the client wants me to prove the issue lies with the switch.

I have a very similar issue at another client with a Ricoh 305+ again on Aruba switches, again not waking up correctly.

Pointers please Ladies and Gentlemen

Ta

Daren

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Kyocera Papercut and Aruba switches - Fail to wake

I might try forcing the link speed away from auto to some other fixed speed, this will stop the "Green ethernet power-saving" protocols from interfering with the link/negotiation. I do this for any ethernet related link issues, as it can eliminate iffy pairs being used in a cable as well as certain dreaded auto-negotiation issues present in certain environments. Going from gig to 100M automatically eliminated four of the wires. going to 10 meg increases the signal-to-noise margins sometimes, especially if cables are routed "improperly"

It might also be beneficial to disable the powersaving modes in the Aruba geat, if the admin is willing to try it.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Kyocera Papercut and Aruba switches - Fail to wake

Make sure the energy save level on the MFP is not energy save, but quick recovery.
    In energy save mode, the NIC gets shut off, and doesn't wake as it should.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Kyocera Papercut and Aruba switches - Fail to wake

Very strange behavior indeed. I would start to investigate from a print server. Does it release/redirect the print job, the job status at print queue after user presses 'Print' at MFD, then the network traffic from a print server to the printer (ports, protocols, firewalls, switches, etc.)?

It's really hard for me to wrap my head around that 'wake from sleep', 'energy saving' etc. could be related somehow. The user walks to a device, if he/she is presented with PaperCut login screen and successfully logs in, then this is already ONLINE operation, the device is fully awake and connected to a server.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    Make sure the energy save level on the MFP is not energy save, but quick recovery.
    In energy save mode, the NIC gets shut off, and doesn't wake as it should.
    Is there a pre-req setting to be able to enable that. I'm trying to do it via KFS and it fails to apply everytime?

Thanks