Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy FK-8550 Shortage

Where is everyone buying their FK-8550's? They have been on backorder with Kyocera since April and the latest ETA is August 23rd. We have been ok up until this point, with using used fusers from old equipment but we are down to 1 left. Any ideas? Attempted to rebuild one but that didn't work.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: FK-8550 Shortage

Exactly the same situation up here... working fk8550's are precious! Perhaps they're taking their time developing a bearing grease that doesn't dry out and rust after 40% rated life?!?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    FK-8550 Shortage

I've got two that have been waiting a month. So you're saying I've got another two months to wait? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Blackcat- I just tracked an order that I placed in April and the ETA is currently 8/23. I'm running out of ideas. I don't know what to do.

FK-8550 Shortage

I've scavenged a few fusers as temporary loaners, but they're all loaned out right now. I don't have any other ideas.

If it was just the rust we might be able to limp along, but the sleeve is destroyed. =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Does anyone know if Australia (240v) is affected?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    FK-8550 Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by royalbusiness View Post
    Blackcat- I just tracked an order that I placed in April and the ETA is currently 8/23. I'm running out of ideas. I don't know what to do.

Same here, we are limping along but I have had to used a couple from NEW machines here in the office. We are out of used ones as well

FK-8550 Shortage

I got my first version 8 fusers last week (yes, they've incremented the part number again). Hopefully they've addressed the rust generating bearings. My version 7 loaner fuser is now squeaking quite loudly, but isn't making rust yet, so I'll keep it a bit longer.
    =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    FK-8550 Shortage

This may or may not be relevant, but I'm going to throw it out there.

We are a small firm so a portion of our sales come from used (refurbished, pre-sold, recycled, etc) machines we mostly get from wholesalers. For the past year or so most of these machines have been the two and lately the three series.

When I go through theses machines I have been impressed by discovering that the low power mode and sleep mode are always set to the maximum time, usually 240 minutes. This tells me I may have to keep an eye out in the future for fuser problems on that machine. When I do a maintenance printout I usually find the machine has had the fuser replaced at least once, maybe twice.

I would think that the fusers on these models are a known issue so I have to wonder why some companies max out these settings and then turn around and bitch about how mush the Kyocera fusers are costing them.

Long ago (in the late 80s ,maybe the early 90s) I made the correlation between early fuser frailer and maxing out the power save and sleep time. Didn't mater the make or model, (to me) if you max out the power settings you shorten the fuser life (and sometimes the plastic around the fuser). Whenever I was or am in charge of machine setup (as service manager) or just setting up a machine, my usual setting was 90 (low power) and 120 (sleep) minuets. I later revised that to 60 and 90 minuets. In all these years to date I may have had to go back to a customer and adjust these numbers upward maybe a hand full of times. On the two and three series I have even shorten those settings down to 50 and 70 minutes on all my machines new and used. It been over nine months and no complaints yet.

I also hang on the the clicking fusers I have replaced through warranty. I write UBG (used but good) with a sharpie on the outside of the box. I use these fusers in an emergency to get a machine out in the field going until I can get a new fuser. The customer doesn't mind the clicking (or I set it to silent mode) because their other choice is to wait till the new fuser arrives with a downed machine. When the new fuser arrives, we swap them out. Customer stays running, we don't miss clicks.

So, yeah, these fusers mostly suck (they are getting a bit better? maybe?), but how much of this are we bringing on ourselves?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    This may or may not be relevant, but I'm going to throw it out there.

We are a small firm so a portion of our sales come from used (refurbished, pre-sold, recycled, etc) machines we mostly get from wholesalers. For the past year or so most of these machines have been the two and lately the three series.

When I go through theses machines I have been impressed by discovering that the low power mode and sleep mode are always set to the maximum time, usually 240 minutes. This tells me I may have to keep an eye out in the future for fuser problems on that machine. When I do a maintenance printout I usually find the machine has had the fuser replaced at least once, maybe twice.

I would think that the fusers on these models are a known issue so I have to wonder why some companies max out these settings and then turn around and bitch about how mush the Kyocera fusers are costing them.

Long ago (in the late 80s ,maybe the early 90s) I made the correlation between early fuser frailer and maxing out the power save and sleep time. Didn't mater the make or model, (to me) if you max out the power settings you shorten the fuser life (and sometimes the plastic around the fuser). Whenever I was or am in charge of machine setup (as service manager) or just setting up a machine, my usual setting was 90 (low power) and 120 (sleep) minuets. I later revised that to 60 and 90 minuets. In all these years to date I may have had to go back to a customer and adjust these numbers upward maybe a hand full of times. On the two and three series I have even shorten those settings down to 50 and 70 minutes on all my machines new and used. It been over nine months and no complaints yet.

I also hang on the the clicking fusers I have replaced through warranty. I write UBG (used but good) with a sharpie on the outside of the box. I use these fusers in an emergency to get a machine out in the field going until I can get a new fuser. The customer doesn't mind the clicking (or I set it to silent mode) because their other choice is to wait till the new fuser arrives with a downed machine. When the new fuser arrives, we swap them out. Customer stays running, we don't miss clicks.

So, yeah, these fusers mostly suck (they are getting a bit better? maybe?), but how much of this are we bringing on ourselves?
    Completely agree good work.

As a side note:
    I went obsessive about fusers life early after I started being copier engineer. Every single manual and machine I studied led me to decision to minimize power save or/and low power settings time. I believe on all my A3 machines those should NOT be more than 30 minutes. I setup currently them to 15-20 minutes and have almost zero problems with complaining customers. A few non contract clients complained I tell them fuser price and I just trying to save them some money and few contract customers I use to tell them how much they get in therms of power savings and being environmental friendly works every time PLUS it's true.
    I even tend to lower fuser temperature on some models when manufacturers engineers did poor design job and fusers didn't match expected life by FAR.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.