Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Kyocera 5053ci scan to server

I will be setting up a 5053ci on a network using Windows Server 2016. The customer wants users to be able to sign in from the panel into their Domain and scan to folders from the machine.

I've never set this up before and feel anxious going in.

I'm good at setting up scanning to SMB folders on Windows 10 and can do it all day. But when it comes to scanning to a server.....eeek!

How hard is it? And any tips going in?

Notes:
    It's replacing a Xerox that already does the job.
    I.T. wants to use same network settings on Xerox, including static IP. Thanks in advance

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Re: Kyocera 5053ci scan to server

Sounds like you are talking KM net manager or Papercut
    Or is it simply putting access codes at the machine and setting up Home Screen shortcuts for scan to folder?
    Maybe Pinpoint Scan?
    How does the Xerox currently manage it? Do they already have proprietary software installed?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Setting up Authentication for Network Login is easy, but it may not get you what you want. All that is needed is Server name, domain name, and uname/pwd.

However, last time I checked the Network login does not retrieve logged in user's Home folder as an SMB destination or pass the credentials for access. This may have changed but the CommandCenterRX guide is pretty weak on describing this.

Most 'scan to me'/MyPanel features work from the Local User list not Network Auth. and they are Custom Box/Email destinations.

Kyocera Net Manager/MyQ will do Domain Auth and pull User folder/email destination, but that is next level purchase and integration.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    Setting up Authentication for Network Login is easy, but it may not get you what you want. All that is needed is Server name, domain name, and uname/pwd.
    Are these the settings that need to be inputted into the individual Address Book SMB entry or in SystemMenu/Network/TCPIP? thanks

I would also suggest using a different IP than the old Xerox. If someone still has the driver for the Xerox setup on their machine and tries to print to that IP then it may print correctly or it may print a lot of blank pages and you have to turn the machine off to get it to quit. I never suggest using the same IP when installing a different Make machine because drivers do not work well between different manufactures.

Just my two cents.

Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    I will be setting up a 5053ci on a network using Windows Server 2016. The customer wants users to be able to sign in from the panel into their Domain and scan to folders from the machine.

I've never set this up before and feel anxious going in.

I'm good at setting up scanning to SMB folders on Windows 10 and can do it all day. But when it comes to scanning to a server.....eeek!

How hard is it? And any tips going in?

Notes:
    It's replacing a Xerox that already does the job.
    I.T. wants to use same network settings on Xerox, including static IP. Thanks in advance
    If it's already setup on Xerox just see how the X rock is doing it. Copy the setting over to the kyocera

No worries

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Are these the settings that need to be inputted into the individual Address Book SMB entry or in SystemMenu/Network/TCPIP? thanks
    The settings are input from the Command Center: Management Settings->Authentication set to 'Network'

There are 3 Attributes which are pulled from Active Directory: Name1=displayName, Name2=none, emailAddress: mail

Once ANY login is enabled, 2 new buttons can be enabled for logged in users, 'Scan to me-Email' and 'Scan to me-Box' (Custom Box on device) which come from the User property entered into the Local User list.
    They allow scanning to these pre-determined locations without going into the address book.

Network Auth is enabled so a local user list doesn't have to be created.

I am not sure 'Scan to me-email' will use the Domain info to populate the Send field, or if you can tie a Domain user to a local user for Custom Box destinations.

There is no method to pull home directory and have that path as a Scan to Folder operation. You can see in the screenshot a third Attribute can be named and retrieved with username and email, but there is no way to apply that info to the address book.

NetworkAuth.jpgCCRx User Info.jpg

Of course all this is different from setting up the Address Book manually for each SMB folder and that info cannot be moved from Manufacturer to Manufacturer as Passwords stored in devices are (should be) encrypted with manufacturer specific algorithms which cannot be decoded. (If your device can export clear text passwords then it should not be hooked to a network)

Xerox has the My Home function which maps User folders under 'Scan to Home' but I cannot say if they get that info from Active Directory automatically with Domain Login, it may have been manually created as well as what would be required here.

Oh and about using the same IP address, when first connected this will create and ARP error. The router stores MAC addresses and their associated IP address in the ARP cache.

So the router will have the Xerox MAC address associated with that IP address and will need to be updated by flushing the ARP cache or waiting until it refreshes itself.

Change out drivers certainly.

Pinpoint Scan will probably allow storage to home folders via each computer with a mapped drive to the server folder but no Domain integration.
    DMConnect may allow Logged in user as LDAP look-up to retrieve Home folder but that workflow would need to be created from scratch.
    MyQ would do everything and more, and I believe has a Xerox package to integrate both manufacturers, but would be expensive and require more infrastructure and management
    Last edited by PrintWhisperer; 07-22-2021 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add Xerox info

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Users are able to authenticate at the panel but not browse and drop files into their own personal folders. Pinpoint scanning is not an option as they are thin clients and the server is off-site at a local data center.

The Xerox may be using Connectkey in order to accomplish this.