Senior Tech 100+ Posts

6551ci printing issue

So I have a 6551ci that wants to pull from mp tray every time when printing from driver. The driver resides on a print server ver 8.0 kx drver.
    Odd thing is that only two users are having this issue out of eight.
    Hooked my laptop to it and prints just fine. I have tried setting a local driver with ver 8.1 on this users pc and does same thing. updated firmware made sure mp tray default is off and also tried a test page from driver to make sure was not a program issue and still does it. assuming its a work station issue. Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: 6551ci printing issue

First off, does the machine prompt with Media mismatch or just print automatically?

Welcome to the Media Selection rabbit hole. It is plagued with questions like "was a source specified, or is it interpreted from size and media" or 'Did the driver encode a source or did the application pass through the driver with it's own definitions?"

Or "Did you just leave the driver in the default Auto selection mode?"

All of these are answered with a MM977 print capture and analysis so until you get that it's all guesswork.

The first thing you could try is to switch the PDL on the driver to KPDL instead of the default PCL-XL(which is crap for today's printing needs). KPDL will encode Page Source better and be more readable for capture.

Alternatively you could set the PDL to PCL 5c but this is not good for PDF printing. However the Source command is most easily read in PCL5 as a simple ESC sequence.

Correct analysis would require you divulge the applications which print incorrectly, and determine if any other applications (notepad, Chrome) DO print from the requested tray. Office Word Doc's retain drawer selection as a document property and can over-ride driver setting.

A Windows test page is not an application print and not a good test as they do not function the same.

Capture in MM977 and maybe post screenshots of the headers and we can see what is going on.

If the device is choosing MP it has a reason and that reason is the instructions it is given are incomplete or incorrect.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    6551ci printing issue

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    First off, does the machine prompt with Media mismatch or just print automatically?

Welcome to the Media Selection rabbit hole. It is plagued with questions like "was a source specified, or is it interpreted from size and media" or 'Did the driver encode a source or did the application pass through the driver with it's own definitions?"

Or "Did you just leave the driver in the default Auto selection mode?"

All of these are answered with a MM977 print capture and analysis so until you get that it's all guesswork.

The first thing you could try is to switch the PDL on the driver to KPDL instead of the default PCL-XL(which is crap for today's printing needs). KPDL will encode Page Source better and be more readable for capture.

Alternatively you could set the PDL to PCL 5c but this is not good for PDF printing. However the Source command is most easily read in PCL5 as a simple ESC sequence.

Correct analysis would require you divulge the applications which print incorrectly, and determine if any other applications (notepad, Chrome) DO print from the requested tray. Office Word Doc's retain drawer selection as a document property and can over-ride driver setting.

A Windows test page is not an application print and not a good test as they do not function the same.

Capture in MM977 and maybe post screenshots of the headers and we can see what is going on.

If the device is choosing MP it has a reason and that reason is the instructions it is given are incomplete or incorrect.
    That was a much more complete answer than I had.

Microsoft Office applications can hold media type choice, paper size, or tray choice in the document, and ignore the driver settings.

So the simplest possibility is that the size or media type is just incorrectly defaulted to something the customer does not have in one or more print drivers. The second simplest possibility is that a Microsoft Office app is retaining previous settings. Regardless, you'll need to know exactly what document, what computer, what driver, and especially, exactly what the MFP screen is requesting. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Yep if MS office is set to MP tray it will override any driver setting

Try a fresh install.
    Running the installer as a new printer.
    Last edited by bsm2; 07-24-2021 at 02:27 AM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Problem solved, the two users PC had older versions of kx drivers on them starting at 6.0. I ran the uninstaller program on the Kyocera library which probably had some DLL files that were causing issue. Anyway once I did that worked perfectly.

Thanks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    6551ci printing issue

Congratulations on your success. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    6551ci printing issue

That is one thing I really like about the KX printer installer. It will get rid of just about all old KX driver files when you run the uninstaller.

If you have never used the KX driver installer, might I suggest after you open it up, go to Uninstall and remove all the old drivers and apps (if your not going to use them). I also get rid of the Microsoft XPS driver for these models if it shows up in the list, but that's my personal choice. Then when installing the print driver, I choose Custom Install. I never ever choose Express Install. In Custom Install I always add Fonts under the Utilities tab. I never ever, absolutely never add the nagging Status Monitor. As far as I am concerned, it servers no purpose but to nag the client with useless information. Also, at one point toward the end of the install, I uncheck the box for duplex and uncheck the box for Show Quick Print Tab. I don't think that Duplex needs to be switched on all the time. The Quick Print tab is kind of useless for most all users. I think when the user chooses Preferences, they need to be looking at the Basic tab not the Quick Print tab.

These are the things I do when using the Kyocera KX Driver Installer. Just a suggestion.