Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Weird 2640 Fax issue.

We have a 2640 that when you type the number in and press start, or ok, it will just delete the number and you have to type it again, after that it works as it should. We replaced the fax board and updated firmware and it still does it. The tech is thinking it might be a setting somewhere but I can't think of any setting that would cause this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Weird 2640 Fax issue.

Re: Weird 2640 Fax issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocannibal View Post
    We have a 2640 that when you type the number in and press start, or ok, it will just delete the number and you have to type it again, after that it works as it should. We replaced the fax board and updated firmware and it still does it. The tech is thinking it might be a setting somewhere but I can't think of any setting that would cause this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Is the check destination turned on? I remember we had this problem on another model but cannot remember what solved the issue and I cannot find it in our database. If check destination is turned on, it could be the machine is confirming that this is the location you want to send to since you are manually entering the fax number. It is the only setting I can think of that could cause this issue. Worth a look.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Is the check destination turned on? I remember we had this problem on another model but cannot remember what solved the issue and I cannot find it in our database. If check destination is turned on, it could be the machine is confirming that this is the location you want to send to since you are manually entering the fax number. It is the only setting I can think of that could cause this issue. Worth a look.
    I will definitely give it a look Monday morning. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Weird 2640 Fax issue.

I couldn't find any mention of destination confirm or confirm destination in the service manual. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Double post

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I can't find anything about confirm destination anywhere in this machine.

Weird 2640 Fax issue.

It is not in the service manual but the fax operation user guide, "When On is selected in Entry Check for New Dest., a confirmation screen is displayed for
    the entered FAX number. Re-enter the same FAX number and select [OK]." Since the fax number is not in the addressbook, it reverts back to enter destination number. Hence having to enter the fax number twice to send the document.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

It is not in the service manual but the fax operation user guide, "When On is selected in Entry Check for New Dest., a confirmation screen is displayed for
    the entered FAX number. Re-enter the same FAX number and select [OK]." Since the fax number is not in the addressbook, it reverts back to enter destination number. Hence having to enter the fax number twice to send the document.
    Where is this located in the machine? Fax settings? I looked all around in every setting and didn't see anything like that. I'll look in the operation guide tomorrow morning and see if I can find it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Found it this morning in the Machine Operation Guide, that is the problem. Thanks so much for your help, what a dumb issue.

Weird 2640 Fax issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocannibal View Post
    Found it this morning in the Machine Operation Guide, that is the problem. Thanks so much for your help, what a dumb issue.

Glad it worked out for you. Destination check is not really a dumb issue when you are dealing with sensitive documents. Destination check and encryption were added to Kyo [Mita] faxes and options back in the early 90's at the behest of several large corporations and the Fed's. They wanted a way to make sure that sensitive documents were being sent to the correct recipient. Though encryption is not used by the vast majority of users it does allow a user to create their own 16 character encryption code that is needed to decipher the fax at the receiving end. A very secure way of sending a fax. Destination check was to make sure the user had pressed the correct buttons/entered the correct fax number for the recipient.