Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: Add more edge erase on printing? 8353ci

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg View Post
    Is that permanent? I'd rather not dig into the world of sending commands I don't really understand no offense. Surely must be a way in the menu to do the same thing?
    Permanent, well yes but only effects jobs without a margin command. It is a default Print Environment setting which can be over-ridden by Print driver instructions. the only way to get around this is using Prescribe filter to insert code within print jobs.

Your best bet is to use the Gutter setting in the Layout tab of the KX driver. You have to set the orientation to landscape to get the gutter on the top and while this worked for my A4 machine I'm not sure how an A3 will handle it.

BTW a top edge lead would imply lengthwise feed so adjust your orientations accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Yes, image quality adjustments are generally ignored on prints. I'll be interested to know if PrintWhisperer's PreScribe command works for you. =^..^=
    I wish they did have a chance of working but probably not. The only way they are obeyed is if there is no print driver/application which provides margin setting command.

This can be simulated using a Generic Text Only driver (no PCL/PS commands to reset environment) and printing from Notepad, which sends simple text to the print driver.

Also Mainframe prints which have minimal or no PCL codes in them, and certain applications which 'passthrough' the driver.

Damn Print Environment rules....

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Add more edge erase on printing? 8353ci

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    Permanent, well yes but only effects jobs without a margin command. It is a default Print Environment setting which can be over-ridden by Print driver instructions. the only way to get around this is using Prescribe filter to insert code within print jobs.

Your best bet is to use the Gutter setting in the Layout tab of the KX driver. You have to set the orientation to landscape to get the gutter on the top and while this worked for my A4 machine I'm not sure how an A3 will handle it.

BTW a top edge lead would imply lengthwise feed so adjust your orientations accordingly.

I wish they did have a chance of working but probably not. The only way they are obeyed is if there is no print driver/application which provides margin setting command.

This can be simulated using a Generic Text Only driver (no PCL/PS commands to reset environment) and printing from Notepad, which sends simple text to the print driver.

Also Mainframe prints which have minimal or no PCL codes in them, and certain applications which 'passthrough' the driver.

Damn Print Environment rules....
    Thanks. I noticed the gutter setting actually I'll play with that if I cant get u34 and u66 to work. I'd have to learn more about them prescribe commands before I'd go there not that desperate yet lol.

Just tired of seeing all these machines wrap on high coverage its like constant almost every machine. I did get one to work by doing u34 and changing the start timing. I wish I had took pictures I'm probably not explaining it the best.

What was strange I altered U34 start timing on one and that moved the image over and the next machine no matter what I put the start timing at it wouldn't move the image. It was late on a Friday and the machine was very busy so might of been me just being silly.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Thanks. I noticed the gutter setting actually I'll play with that if I cant get u34 and u66 to work. I'd have to learn more about them prescribe commands before I'd go there not that desperate yet lol.

Just tired of seeing all these machines wrap on high coverage its like constant almost every machine. I did get one to work by doing u34 and changing the start timing. I wish I had took pictures I'm probably not explaining it the best.

What was strange I altered U34 start timing on one and that moved the image over and the next machine no matter what I put the start timing at it wouldn't move the image. It was late on a Friday and the machine was very busy so might of been me just being silly.

There's no need to be scared of prescribe commands. I would imagine that most factory trained techs know how to use prescribe. I'm not factory trained but blackcat was nice enough to give me a crash course on it. The only problem I ran into is that many of the prescribe commands no longer worked.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    ...The only problem I ran into is that many of the prescribe commands no longer worked.
    True that! It's a moving target. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    There's no need to be scared of prescribe commands. I would imagine that most factory trained techs know how to use prescribe. I'm not factory trained but blackcat was nice enough to give me a crash course on it. The only problem I ran into is that many of the prescribe commands no longer worked.
    Prescribe adjustments are last resort. Not Normal
    also prescribe main fuction was to create forms that never really caught on in the real world.

Special Prescribe class from Kyocera
    Not covered in regular training classes or online videos training.

Best we had was replacement of a dot matrix printer and printing the same form on 4 different color paper and 4 different sort trays.

3 to 5mm leadedge is normal
    Service Manuel has a set process to make adjustments
    print side. platen and adf.

Pm me I'll send you the adjustment pages

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

I found it handy to get a PDF onto my USB key that was having the wrap issue. I now use this as my test chart for lead edge start position. Pretty much every machine out of the box does not have this set so that lead and trailing edge void is the same. Often the settings for all paper sources are zero or under. These I now routinely set (all sources) from +1 to +1.5

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ropariva View Post
    I found it handy to get a PDF onto my USB key that was having the wrap issue. I now use this as my test chart for lead edge start position. Pretty much every machine out of the box does not have this set so that lead and trailing edge void is the same. Often the settings for all paper sources are zero or under. These I now routinely set (all sources) from +1 to +1.5
    Bang on tried it today 2 machines exact same problem printing full colour pictures.

u034 Start timing and yup your right I did +1.5 on mine from 0 on start timing 3/4 Cassete(L)

What is very confusing is for me its always A4 from the bottom 2 trays and the customer was printing full colour on both the front and back of the sheet. I got it sorted for the front side but then the backside would cause the issue... just to make things even more confusing you would think start timing 3/4 Duplex(L) would move the image on the second side well it doesnt, to sort the back you go into start timing without the 3/4 and change the Duplex(L) +1.5.

I guess the L stands for Long feed and S short feed?

u66 is to do with scanning when I looked but anyway u034 is the one . I'm still a bit shocked print margins (u405 i think) doesn't effect print jobs.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

... I guess the L stands for Long feed and S short feed? ...
    L is for "Large" paper sizes: LGL & LGR
    S is for "Small" paper sizes: LTR, LTR-R, and STMT

It's a bit confusing. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

I guess the L stands for Long feed and S short feed?

u66 is to do with scanning when I looked but anyway u034 is the one . I'm still a bit shocked print margins (u405 i think) doesn't effect print jobs.
    U402-5 should be labeled erase margins so it would explain why they do not effect the Print image position.

Use 24lb paper to reduce jamming on high coverage.

You don't have to worry about Prescribe causing any problems that cannot be undone by FRPO INIT; but it's beside the point as you are doing driver printing.

Prescribe isn't just a forms language, it is the DEFAULT print environment command structure. It already has things like the default font (courier) and tray but they ONLY take effect when an incoming print file doesn't have an OVERRIDING command, which the application provides to the print driver.

Prepress modifications are Fiery CWS type stuff so not much control in standard RIPing.

Margins are almost always the job of the application. That is why there are no settings in the driver.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    U402-5 should be labeled erase margins so it would explain why they do not effect the Print image position.

Use 24lb paper to reduce jamming on high coverage.

You don't have to worry about Prescribe causing any problems that cannot be undone by FRPO INIT; but it's beside the point as you are doing driver printing.

Prescribe isn't just a forms language, it is the DEFAULT print environment command structure. It already has things like the default font (courier) and tray but they ONLY take effect when an incoming print file doesn't have an OVERRIDING command, which the application provides to the print driver.

Prepress modifications are Fiery CWS type stuff so not much control in standard RIPing.

Margins are almost always the job of the application. That is why there are no settings in the driver.

First things first. I enjoy your posts as they are very informative. But I'm curious and any of the Kyocera trained techs can weigh in on this. Do the Kyocera classes teach this in-depth knowledge or how did you pick this up? Thanks in advance.
    Growth is found only in adversity.