Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: Add more edge erase on printing? 8353ci

Hardware classes are so short they can’t go into any Prescribe. There is a class for Prescribe but it’s mostly the filter/forms stuff and not about PDL’s. Prescribe is just another PDL I picked up dealing with Kyo issues, mostly mainframe stuff.

I did programming in high school and college, and have studied over a dozen programming languages.

I first learned OCE’s FOL (forms overlay language), but hacking Print data streams has helped understand printers and their funky ways. Planet Press taught me a lot too.

It comes down to being a programmer because print jobs are just programs to tell the robot what to do.

The hardware stuff is from things I’ve dealt with or has been relayed from my ‘sources’

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Add more edge erase on printing? 8353ci

Re: Add more edge erase on printing? 8353ci

I got most of my, uh, experience ... with a customer that was sending PostScript print data from a home-made DOS-based application, using the print driver as a pass through only.

They had hundreds of HP 5si printers used to print ledger sized architectural drawings, and the HP's did not have enough internal memory to accept a job with 100 pages of architectural drawings. Their home-made application broke the 100 page PDF document into 100 one page jobs, already in Postscript, but did not have manufacturer specific tray selections, media selections, etc, that the driver would have provided.

By the time I came on the scene, there was still one of the original engineers that had written the application many years earlier. I would take print data captures, and isolate the specific commands that needed to be inserted. Then I'd take a sample print job and insert the appropriate commands, and test it on one of our Kyoceras. Some of these commands were PJL, some PostScript, some PreScribe.

I learned early to load only 5 pages to the MFP. A messed up print command could generate 200 pages of PostScript error. PostScript2 was easy. The commands were in plain text. PostScript3 commands were encrypted, so the prepend might be 1000 characters, none in readable text. Good times! =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 09-14-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=