Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    307ci Printing Random characters

Morning troops,

Don't know if this has been asked/answered yet or not, but I have a customer with a 307ci in one of those "Mixed Use" office complexes, that every so often will print out a bunch of pages with the standard "Wingdings" font (Usually seen when someone is using the wrong print drivers). I've enabled User Accounts hoping that would resolve the issue, but short of putting an IP Trap on their network line to find out where those print jobs are coming from, I'm kind of stumped.

I've already turned off Air Print and Google Cloud Print.. are there any OTHER settings I can use to basically "Lock" the printer from anyone other than those with a valid User ID? I'm fairly new to Kyocera, so I haven't quite figured out all the tips and tricks yet. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: 307ci Printing Random characters

Depending on how many clients your are talking about, you can set up the IP filters on the device. You have to enter each IP which will be allowed to access the device. For printing via a server, only that IP should be entered, along with your administration PC, HyPAS app PC's or other authorized hosts.

If you are doing scan to email I am not sure how this will impact it. I have only made entries to the filter list by IP and not by hostname, I am not sure if it is supported.

Ensure the device printer settings have the Emulation set to AUTO.

Disable all other 'printable' ports/protocols like FTP, NetBIOS, POP3, WSD Print, IPP, etc.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Morning troops,

Don't know if this has been asked/answered yet or not, but I have a customer with a 307ci in one of those "Mixed Use" office complexes, that every so often will print out a bunch of pages with the standard "Wingdings" font (Usually seen when someone is using the wrong print drivers). I've enabled User Accounts hoping that would resolve the issue, but short of putting an IP Trap on their network line to find out where those print jobs are coming from, I'm kind of stumped.

I've already turned off Air Print and Google Cloud Print.. are there any OTHER settings I can use to basically "Lock" the printer from anyone other than those with a valid User ID? I'm fairly new to Kyocera, so I haven't quite figured out all the tips and tricks yet. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

Make sure they haven't setup POP on the machine and it's trying to print incoming email. I've only seen this once. Someone had setup POP3 login info on the machine and it would check email and then empty the paper tray printing garbage.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Maybe this isn't applicable, but maybe it's NOT a PostScript error (print language mismatch). Occasionally I've seen a poor font substitution cause individual characters to be incorrectly substituted.

Have you tried changing IP address for the printer? Occasionally I've gotten lucky, and somebody walks up with a laptop, says: " I can't print anymore... ". You look and it's a wrong print driver/wrong emulation.

Another possibility is the sender is not sending print data at all. Perhaps IT can track packets back to their source with WireShark.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Morning troops,

Thanks in advance!!
    As you say this is usually caused by a user having the wrong driver. It can also be caused with a user is printing via WSD not IP. So I would disable WSD printing to rule this out.

& as always update the firmware.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Since you say that you enabled user accounts and still have the problem, did you change the default of permit printing to prohibit under the authorization rules? The default even with user accounts enabled will allow anyone to attempt to print to the unit. Change the setting to prohibit only allows users that can authenticate to print.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quick update to my dilemma.

Updated the firmware to newest/latest/greatest with no change. Also disabled all other print protocols, but nothing stopped those jobs. I decided to test a working theory, and pulled the Kyocera to our shop for testing. I left them a Ricoh MP C306 as a loaner to use.

Wouldn't you know the random print jobs happened on the Ricoh too??

I'm starting to like the "Different IP Address" suggestion. I'll just need to have the building's IT manager let me know which address is available.

Will keep everyone posted.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

This only happened to me once but I still check on it when I get prints with wing dings.

So I get out to this office that we just put in a CS 3550ci. They were complaining about wingdings at the top of the page. Sure enough when I printed anything, there they were. I checked and reinstalled drivers. Wingdings still there. Changed IP address, wingdings still there. I changed the IP address back and was checking on some other thing when the problem just stopped. Don't know what happened it just stopped. I wrote it up and left.

The next day we got a call and it had started again. Went over to the customer and printed an error log from the machine and the wingdings were on the log. WTF??? Looked in the drawer and the paper in the drawer had wingdings at the top of the page. With the managers help we discovered that the outside sales gal had not had the driver installed on her laptop. She was using the old driver that was pointed to the IP address. Some of the print jobs she sent would make with the wingdings. When that happened, she would turn off the machine, clear the jams, then put the paper with the wingdings back in the paper tray.

Not that this is your problem but this is why when I get a machine making with the wingdings, I do check the paper drawer. This is also why when replacing a machine of another manufacture or dealer, I try to always change the IP address.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quick update to my dilemma.

Updated the firmware to newest/latest/greatest with no change. Also disabled all other print protocols, but nothing stopped those jobs. I decided to test a working theory, and pulled the Kyocera to our shop for testing. I left them a Ricoh MP C306 as a loaner to use.

Wouldn't you know the random print jobs happened on the Ricoh too??

I'm starting to like the "Different IP Address" suggestion. I'll just need to have the building's IT manager let me know which address is available.

Will keep everyone posted.
    I would expect this to happen if you installed the Ricoh in place of the Kyocera & used the same IP address.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

On my installs I always ask for new IP address for the new printer and avoid using the old printer IP. Keeps things simple and less problems.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated