Senior Tech 250+ Posts

3552ci OEM or Generic toner ???

Haven't solved this odd issue because it cleared up on its own. Don't trust it though. Last week..error C7904.. Reboot cleared that code. But when I ran a status page, the toner status said the yellow toner was not OEM. It was definately OEM.
    So, another reboot and cartridge reinstall it cleared up as well. It recognized all toners as OEM...Now today, this machine gave a C7903 code. I reseated Magenta drum, developer and toner. Code went away but the status page said magenta toner was not OEM. Reboot and all toners were recognized OEM again. I ran a couple hundred pages with no further issue. I left the customer's office but feel like it will happen again..So. I'm leaning toward the toner itself. Guaranteed OEM. What do you gentlemen think about that ? Very curious.. Guess I should identify exactly how the copier identifies OEM toner..To be continued...Any input on this is definately appreciated..

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: 3552ci OEM or Generic toner ???

Toner container detection is accomplished by RFID reading the chip present on the container.

If it were only that I would say the RFID board, but you have another communication error in the Drum EEPROM codes. I don't expect anything is wrong with the RFID board.

The 2 systems communicate their data back to the engine board via the Feed Image PWB, which would be the first common point of failure.

However, disruptions to the Serial Communications loop (SPI serial seen in wiring as EEP_SDA/EEP_SDC, etc)
    in one area can cause other communication failures. (This runs to all drums/DV's, TX belt and more recently the Fuser)

The Feed Image PWB processes this serial EEPROM data along with the RFID data and communicates it all to the Engine PWB on a different (KSS) serial line.

First inspect all the Drum and Developer connectors for bent pins (male, on unit) and check the female receptacles on the Drum/DV relay pwb for looseness, broken solder on backside. Rough handling of unit insertion can cause damage and there is a bulletin somewhere about it.

If you don't find anything, I would try to replace the Feed Image PWB and if you didn't want to take any chances the Drum/DV relay PWB as well.

Edit: You can move those drums with codes into the K slot and see if the EEPROM code follows the drum, cause those EEPROMs might be blown.
    Last edited by PrintWhisperer; 11-17-2021 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Add drum test
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin