Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    1102 error gmail scanning

I'm getting a new machine ready, copying the settings of the field machine like I always do. I keep getting 1102 errors when scanning to e-mail. Server is smtp.gmail.com

The account and password are the same as the machine that is still working. I called the customer to verify that and even logged into that gmail account and checked that 2 step verification and less secure device settings are correct. E-mail address and password have to be correct because I can log in to the account. I'm using port 587 with STARTTLS, sender address is the same as log in account name. I do this frequently and hardly ever have a problem. I tried port 465 with SSL/TLS and same result, 1102 error.

If I change to a different gmail account and password with everything else the same the scans go through. It is as though a gmail account setting is wrong but what would make my machine fail when the customer's current machine is working with the same credentials? My DNS and gateway are good because I can scan with the other gmail account.

Re: 1102 error gmail scanning

Any weird symbol in the password?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

That sounds curious. You should call your rep and have them do a Remote Bomgar and Wireshark it. Seems like a slow week.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Any weird symbol in the password?
    4 capital letters followed by 4 numerals

I've tried the settings in a Canon and a Kyocera

The customer says he is going to create an office 365 account to use instead

I'm guessing I'll probably have to go in and allow third party applications and suspicious devices

odd 1102 is definitely rejected if password not right

Try changing the password on the gmail account in question

also double check the gmail account as they have been changing the less secure apps setting and 2nd authorization settings at will.
    Last edited by bsm2; 12-29-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just a thought but...

Have you made sure that you have check that 'Less secure apps' for that Google account is set to 'On'.

From time to time this can be switched to 'Off' by Google. The reasons why is various. The point is to check this when the account doesn't work.

Another thing I check on the customers account when I have access is how full is the Sent box. I show this to the customer and have them empty it. And then empty the Trash box. If the customer has made a free Gmail account for their MFP, these boxes can get full and then the account won't work.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

So grateful our company uses its own cloud email, Gmail gets worse by the day.
    An updated guide can be found here:
    Gmail SMTP Settings (Updated Guide) (gmass.co)

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I flat forgot about the new two-step verification. I turned that off for my account and promptly forgot about it.

Great guide, mojorolla. Thank you for posting it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

You can add devices with one time code even 2FA is working in Gmail. I made it some time ago when SSG warned about that and it works.

Edit:
    Yes basically the same with that from mojorolla link.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

[QUOTE=Samanator;2035787]Just a thought but...

Have you made sure that you have check that 'Less secure apps' for that Google account is set to 'On'.

From time to time this can be switched to 'Off' by Google. The reasons why is various. The point is to check this when the account doesn't work.

Another thing I check on the customers account when I have access is how full is the Sent box. I show this to the customer and have them empty it. And then empty the Trash box. If the customer has made a free Gmail account for their MFP, these boxes can get full and then the account won't work.

less secure setting.jpgtwo step verification setting.jpg
    The customer is scanning without errors on their current device using the same account login and password but I'm getting errors. I am also able to log into the gmail account and look at settings so I have to be using the correct password. Port 587 STARTTLS, Sender address same as log in account name