Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera 3645 not grabbing an IP address.

Re: Kyocera 3645 not grabbing an IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    That rules out a bad port on the switch or anything on their network. It's possible that the the Mac Address is blocked. Not likely, but possible.
    A Mac Address can be blocked on a single port or all of 'em.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Just to cover all bases....

A single Mac Address usually isn't blocked on a switch. While it can be done, that's not the way it's usually used. For starters, a Mac Address can be easily spoofed. The way Port Security is used in a production environment is that only a certain number (usually 1) of Mac Address are allowed on a single port (ethernet jack). We don't specify the Mac Address...only the number that is allowed.

The reason it's set up this way is to stop an end user from plugging in a Wireless Access Point or some Rouge DHCP Server.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

They do have an IT person and he is very anal about people messing with his stuff, that's the reason I didn't go any further and moved the machine to a different location.

One thing I forgot to mention about all of this is this is the second 3645 that is doing this in that spot, we initially took a different one there and it did that to us so we put the other machine back and it worked so we assumed it was a bad port in the machine. Took a completely different 3645 there and same thing. I am thinking he has something set up on his network that is blocking the machine from getting an IP address thst only affects thst model for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocannibal View Post
    They do have an IT person and he is very anal about people messing with his stuff, that's the reason I didn't go any further and moved the machine to a different location.

One thing I forgot to mention about all of this is this is the second 3645 that is doing this in that spot, we initially took a different one there and it did that to us so we put the other machine back and it worked so we assumed it was a bad port in the machine. Took a completely different 3645 there and same thing. I am thinking he has something set up on his network that is blocking the machine from getting an IP address thst only affects thst model for whatever reason.

First things first. It's not your responsibility to figure out this problem. Obviously there's nothing wrong with the 3645 because it's working fine on a different port.

It's not like you can log into his switch and change any settings. That's the responsibility of the IT guy.

Last thing. You need to ask the IT guy for an IP address for the machines because it doesn't need to be left on DHCP unless the address is reserved.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Perhaps unrelated ... but some tabletop Lexmarks rebadged as Konica Minolta have known network issues. They just don't work in certain network situations. As an experiment we ordered the Lexmark versions of the same device, which worked fine on this particular network. The theory that made the most sense, was that certain kinds of network activity lock up the NIC. Read here:

Bizhub 4050 freezes/locking up
    Konica Minolta bizhub 475 error code E301

bizhub 4052, 4752
    Won't scan, print or access user boxes while connected to the network. MFP locks up. When Scan is pressed goes to time clock (forever). Will not print from the network or even internal reports, until the network cable is disconnected. Network traffic causes the MFP to lock up. Affects only all (4) bizhub 4052's on this network. Detail codes: (8) 0X1FFF, (5) 0X9CE2, (2) 0X4002, (1) 0X201A, (1) 0X2017, (2) 0X2008, (1) 0X2015, (1) 0X076C.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Sounds like you've got a bad cable or network port. Does your laptop pick up a DHCP address? =^..^=
    Sorry but can't be. He put another machine on same cable and port and it works.
    This is very weird issue will be interested in solution.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    First things first. It's not your responsibility to figure out this problem. Obviously there's nothing wrong with the 3645 because it's working fine on a different port.

It's not like you can log into his switch and change any settings. That's the responsibility of the IT guy.

Last thing. You need to ask the IT guy for an IP address for the machines because it doesn't need to be left on DHCP unless the address is reserved.
    It's set to static, it won't recognize that or pick one up on it's own using DHCP. It's really odd.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Sorry but can't be. He put another machine on same cable and port and it works.
    This is very weird issue will be interested in solution.
    Hopefully I have an answer for it, they might just leave it how I have it set but I told them to get their IT guy to look at it and see if he can figure out why it's doing what it's doing.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I would try changing the NIC speed on the MFP from auto, to a fixed speed.
    I’ve had to do this on a couple of occasions. Even a machine that had been there a while, that just stopped working all of a sudden.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    I would try changing the NIC speed on the MFP from auto, to a fixed speed.
    I’ve had to do this on a couple of occasions. Even a machine that had been there a while, that just stopped working all of a sudden.
    Interesting, in 30+ years of working on copiers I have never had to change or adjust any setting related to that. Not sure if I'll be able to work on it again but if I do I'll definitely give it a shot.