Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Kyocera 4050 tray 1 error

First of all, yes I know these are 14 year old machines. Customer has 3 of them, I'm trying to get one more year out of them if possible. For them, it's saving up money to replace them all, for me it's using up the rest of my parts and toners under their contract, so it works for both of us. Problem is the main machine has a tray 1 error. I've seen the motor's go out, so I replaced that first. Good motor that I tested in a different machine but on this one it started running continuously, although with not much torque cause I could stop it with my fingers. I swapped out the tray sensor, cause why would it be running if it didn't think the tray was installed, but that had no effect. I had a machine come in awhile back on trade in that had the exact same problem, tray 1 also, so I've got a machine to here to duplicate the problem and troubleshoot, if I can fix this one I can fix that one. Being that 2 different machines have the same weird issue, I thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Almost seems like a power supply or control board issue. I have one other of these machines for parts, some have been robbed but all electronics are there. Sorry for making you stretch your memories so far back lol.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Kyocera 4050 tray 1 error

What happens after you do U906.

Does the error come right back or only after you try to use tray 1?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

It eventually comes back, but it takes a minute. The motor will run, but not with enough torque to raise the paper. It also runs continuously with the tray not even installed, which it should not do. The motor works fine on a different machine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Had that issue before on a couple KM -4050, ended up being a main board. If the motor keep spinning by itself, anytime you power up the machine, its the board.....

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    It eventually comes back, but it takes a minute. The motor will run, but not with enough torque to raise the paper. It also runs continuously with the tray not even installed, which it should not do. The motor works fine on a different machine.

You're gonna have to trace the control signal/voltage that supplies the motor back to the source and troubleshoot accordingly.

If you're lucky, blackcat will read this thread and open up his encyclopedia of prior service calls.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yea, I had a bad feeling it was going to be the control board. Unfortunately since the 4050 I have in the shop has the same problem I can't rob it, and the other parts machine is a 5050 which I believe is a different control board. Apparently when those motors go bad they can take out the board too, guess I've been lucky in the past that when one failed I replaced it and it worked. I'm going to go out today and move machines around, one doesn't get a lot of use and has a pretty low meter so I'll move it to the high volume position and vice versa, I don't think that will be a problem for this customer. If the second tray still works, the low volume position should be fine with it, they only do letter anyway. I was looking at everything in the back of the machine and I realize how spoiled I've gotten with all the 6525's, 3011's, and 4012's I have now, I have no desire to take all this apart anymore. Thanks everyone for the info, I figured someone had seen this before.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Sadly, I haven't seen this particular issue, but I can point you in the right direction:

Inside the upper lift motor assy (LM-U) you'll find an upper and lower lift gauge switch and the motor. You can monitor the signals at the engine PWB YC13:

A12 grd
    A13 0-5vdc paper gauge signal
    A14 grd
    A15 0-5vdc paper gauge signal
    A16 grd
    A17 0-24vdc LM-U off/on
    B11 grd
    B12 0-5vdc PSW-U upper limit switch

First check that your upper limit switch changes state at YC13 B12 0-5vdc
    If yes, and LM-U starts at power up with or without a paper tray, then you definitely need the engine board.

I have had shorted lift motors take out the drive circuit on the engine PWB.

I've also had the drive coupler "+" shaped shaft twist, so that the spring loaded coupler could not return. A little filing and grease resolved that.

I've also had the spring loaded coupler break or lose a tooth, so that the paper stack would drop: klunk ... klunk ... klunk ...

Engine PWB: 302GR94131
    Read the Sales Note here to make sure that you have ...130, ...131, or ...132: Hytec Circuit Board, Print Controller, Stapler, Power Supply, Fuser Repair Catalog
    I'll be curious what you find. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Falcon 3 Board Repair Lift Motor.jpg
    Its been quite awhile since I have done one of these but here you go.

sorry for delay, I had a busy couple of weeks.