Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AK-7110

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: AK-7110

i wish i had a storage scope with which to observe sensor outputs... there is a relay pcb inside the AK, I haven't checked into whether the sensor data is relayed directly through a dedicated pair, or sent in a mux toward the feed image pwb...

My current theory is that the sensor 1 (49xx) might be bouncing as the paper arrives, and then upsetting the sensor 2 logic by registering an arrival and premature departure, but has no logical way to handle a "bounce". I'll get a chance to look at the sensor springs/flags/replace the AK7110 next monday...

THOSE SENSORS are not easily accessible... I destroyed an old AK7100 exploring how to access them: turns out it's better to go in from the bottom by removing the floor/door than to try to open the top!

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    AK-7110

You can run MM030 and then go back and watch the sensors activate as it's running. Set it for 50 pages and see if it jams.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

when it's upset, it won't print any pages and jams right away first sheet stops in the AK. I tried watching the sensors in maintenance and the second bridge sensor shows as triggered after it stops. the paper does stop just at the sensor which makes no sense why it should think that it hasn't arrived.
    I received my new AK7110 today, and will swap it out. that better work......

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

New AK-7110 installed. Nervous feelings... first page out had jam 5004 then no more. first page of 11x17 also jammed 5002 with the sheet WELL short of the second conveying sensor both times.

I noticed that when studying the AK's, there's BARELY any pressure being applied to the first set of conveying pinch-rollers, then slightly better pressure(pre-load) on the remaining 3 sets of pinch rollers along the path. Even when fully closed and tight against the top frame, the first set of spring-loaded rollers barely move whatsoever, and then the lower half rests a little lower than that with the door fully closed.

I ended up applying a long mylar "shim" on the right hand side AK closing ramp towards to top of it so that it lifts the lower half just a little and it meets the top frame a bit better. It might not be enough, it might be just what is needed. I'd prefer KYO had better load on that roller set, or that they let us use the AK7100 instead, since it's basically the same, just with less problems.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    AK-7110

Can anyone verify if these jams have occurred on a machine without a speed license? Just an idea that these are jams created by speeding up these machines.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nathicana View Post
    Can anyone verify if these jams have occurred on a machine without a speed license? Just an idea that these are jams created by speeding up these machines.
    Mine is a 6003, prior to speed license upgrades...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

1 week since new AK7110, no jam 500x. it might be cured!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts tonerleak's Avatar

Had the same issue, j5004 on a 5053ci with 600k on the meter. Problem started when the weekend staff at a long term care facility who were having jamming issues, decided that beating the crap out of the right side door was the solution instead of placing a service call and being patient. So after replacing the door(billable), I was seeing the same jam as was mentioned previously. Firmare upgrade, replaced AK and exit unit, two weeks later still no word.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    AK-7110

I had this issue yesterday for the first time on a 5053ci.

My plan was to put more pressure on the white rollers but omg what a pos to disassemble. There's literally plastic clips everywhere, why can't you just have 2 screws that hold the lid on and some pins to hold it in at the back... but noooo got to have a million plastic clips to hold that lid on.

In the end I gave up getting that lid off. I found two one way bearings at the back but I'm not sure if it's to do with those. Machine has been working fine for last three years and it's suddenly started giving 500x jams with 600k prints.

My machine gives 5003 on say 1/100 run all the paper looks fine in the machine so you take the jam out then 100 sheets later roughly same thing. Last thing I did was spray the connector with isopropyl and remove and reattach the unit to clean the connector out. My guess is either the tyres are slipping and not pulling the paper forward or a dodgy sensor.

Anyone had any joy with this? Next plan was to try a different AK.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg View Post
    I had this issue yesterday for the first time on a 5053ci.

My plan was to put more pressure on the white rollers but omg what a pos to disassemble. There's literally plastic clips everywhere, why can't you just have 2 screws that hold the lid on and some pins to hold it in at the back... but noooo got to have a million plastic clips to hold that lid on.

In the end I gave up getting that lid off. I found two one way bearings at the back but I'm not sure if it's to do with those. Machine has been working fine for last three years and it's suddenly started giving 500x jams with 600k prints.

My machine gives 5003 on say 1/100 run all the paper looks fine in the machine so you take the jam out then 100 sheets later roughly same thing. Last thing I did was spray the connector with isopropyl and remove and reattach the unit to clean the connector out. My guess is either the tyres are slipping and not pulling the paper forward or a dodgy sensor.

Anyone had any joy with this? Next plan was to try a different AK.
    I never needed to go back to mine after applying the shim to the ak door, so there's that.
    I see you tried to get inside your bridge... I had mentioned in a previous post that going in from below is the path of slightly less resistance... But it's probably not worthwhile anyway for this issue.
    You can see how the front cover lifts the lower half of the ak up, and it rides along the smooth angled ramps if the door... I stuck a shim to the upper part of that ramp so that it adds upward pressure to the entrance-side of the ak(your right-hand side). Doing so, added some pressure to the first drive pinch-roller so that it now visibly loads the springs a bit, which is an improvement over it not deflecting the springs at all normally.
    You can test this theory beforehand by putting one of those big booklet-folder springs under the bridge to press upwards on the floor, it won't be fun to open/clear jams but it will likely eliminate the j500x for testing purposes.
    Also remember, to get access to the underside of the ak while installed,the front cover comes off kinda easy once you get the hang of the right order of pulling the two pins and dealing with the alignment of the sliding parts. Practice on a cadaver first...