Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: kyocera 5053ci loud noise, buzzing or is it gear grinding.

This sounds like the noise I deal with every week. Definately sounds like feed rollers. More specifically, the retard roller

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    kyocera 5053ci loud noise, buzzing or is it gear grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by tech07 View Post
    This sounds like the noise I deal with every week. Definately sounds like feed rollers. More specifically, the retard roller
    That's the first video. Play the second video. The Amazon Photos link.

Technician

Hey Darry, thanks!

So we do not need the parts wtb unit sp 302ND94225, but to clean or replace the waste toner transport unit.
    I am reading the service manual and have a bit of an issue on pinpointing what steps I need to follow.

Do I follow, 4-6 Disassembly and assembly procedures, (3-4) detaching and attaching the toner supply drive unit.

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    1. You'll need to clean out (or replace) the waste toner transport unit which is located on the back of the main drive unit. (302ND94015)
    2. Check the belt cleaning section for impacted and hardened toner (clean out or replace belt)
    3. Make sure the waste toner bottle is turning and taking in waste toner (clean/repair/or replace)

I've had several that I've been able to get everything going again just by meticulously cleaning each unit and making sure they operate effectively and I've had others where 1 or more of the above units had to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanboi5 View Post
    Hey Darry, thanks!

So we do not need the parts wtb unit sp 302ND94225, but to clean or replace the waste toner transport unit.
    I am reading the service manual and have a bit of an issue on pinpointing what steps I need to follow.

Do I follow, 4-6 Disassembly and assembly procedures, (3-4) detaching and attaching the toner supply drive unit.
    The waste toner transport unit is behind the main drive unit Disassembly Instructions 4-6(3-2) at the end of that section you'll find the "detach waste toner convey unit". That's the unit that is packed up and can often be cleaned out. It doesn't come apart, but with a good vacuum and some patience it can be vacuumed clean. I usually pull the bushings from each end of the auger in that unit to clean them as well.

All 3 steps I mentioned should be done.

1. You'll need to clean out (or replace) the waste toner transport unit which is located on the back of the main drive unit. (302ND94015)

and then...

2. Check the belt cleaning section for impacted and hardened toner (clean out or replace belt)

and then...

3. Make sure the waste toner bottle is turning and taking in waste toner (clean/repair/or replace)

If the waste toner bottle unit is broken it will need to be fixed or replaced because it's usually the cause of the backup into the conveyance unit. Once the conveyance unit backs up to the point that it's making the noise (because it's completely clogged and can't be driven anymore) the waste is usually also backed up into the belt cleaning unit and that will need to be cleared as well.

Lot's of work to make sure the call is completely completed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Regarding the waste bottle housing...

The usual defect I found in early 02-52 series was that the housing was not fully latched together between the upper and lower half of the main clamshell assembly. The two halves hinge together along one side with several tabs/slots. then the other side latches with hooks. But one of the hinge-side tabs might not be seated into the slot, always the one closest to the drive gear, resulting in deformation of the overall shape and incomplete meshing of the drive gear to the container.

Therefore the container spins slowly or not at all when it gets heavy, resulting in waste backing up all the way upstream to the waste "manifold"(my pet name for it) or conveying unit as it's called. The auger inside that unit will become stuck and it's drive gear will grind against the vertical conveying drive gear pack making the distinctive noise. The waste container housing is quite time-consuming to access therefore I do the twisting test of the container to see if the gear is meshing or slipping before taking anything apart. if the container gear is holding, I leave it alone and concentrate on the conveying unit.

The primary transfer belt and yellow drum are next-in-line to experience damage from waste backup because they are closest to the waste exit path and will experience pluggage or breaking of their internal augers. Make sure to inspect and vacuum all of the parts which generate waste. The transfer belt is easily cleaned/inspected in the field.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    The waste toner transport unit is behind the main drive unit Disassembly Instructions 4-6(3-2) at the end of that section you'll find the "detach waste toner convey unit". That's the unit that is packed up and can often be cleaned out. It doesn't come apart, but with a good vacuum and some patience it can be vacuumed clean. I usually pull the bushings from each end of the auger in that unit to clean them as well.

All 3 steps I mentioned should be done.

and then...

and then...

If the waste toner bottle unit is broken it will need to be fixed or replaced because it's usually the cause of the backup into the conveyance unit. Once the conveyance unit backs up to the point that it's making the noise (because it's completely clogged and can't be driven anymore) the waste is usually also backed up into the belt cleaning unit and that will need to be cleared as well.

Lot's of work to make sure the call is completely completed.

I have pulled toner rocks from the waste transfer unit the size of marbles. Also chunks stuck in the drop tube to the WTB. It can be done as I used my toner vac to suck them out and thoroughly cleared the transfer unit.

On the transfer belt take care if the discharge is plugged up with hardened toner. When that happens it usually strips the gear that drives the transfer screw. You can check that after it is all cleaned out by putting the fuser with the discharge port up and opened by rolling the cleaning roller to see if the screw is turning. If not it has stripped the concentric on the inside of the gear bore. I have pulled these and super glued to the shaft for a quick repair. If you don't repair or replace the gear it will load up the transfer belt cleaner and give CQ issues.
    Larhal

Part time retired. OK more retired than part time.

If all else fails read the Service Manual!

If that fails, meet me at the pub and we will discuss it, maybe, probably not we are at the pub!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post

The usual defect I found in early 02-52 series was that the housing was not fully latched together between the upper and lower half of the main clamshell assembly. The two halves hinge together along one side with several tabs/slots. then the other side latches with hooks. But one of the hinge-side tabs might not be seated into the slot, always the one closest to the drive gear, resulting in deformation of the overall shape and incomplete meshing of the drive gear to the container.

Therefore the container spins slowly or not at all when it gets heavy, resulting in waste backing up all the way upstream to the waste "manifold"(my pet name for it) or conveying unit as it's called. The auger inside that unit will become stuck and it's drive gear will grind against the vertical conveying drive gear pack making the distinctive noise. The waste container housing is quite time-consuming to access therefore I do the twisting test of the container to see if the gear is meshing or slipping before taking anything apart. if the container gear is holding, I leave it alone and concentrate on the conveying unit.

The primary transfer belt and yellow drum are next-in-line to experience damage from waste backup because they are closest to the waste exit path and will experience pluggage or breaking of their internal augers. Make sure to inspect and vacuum all of the parts which generate waste. The transfer belt is easily cleaned/inspected in the field.
    I like the name "manifold" myself now that you've mentioned it. I always used "transport". Kyocera seems to use "conveyance".

Thanks for a much clearer than my explanation of the waste toner bottle unit failure that seems to cause this issue.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post

Great summary of the waste bottle housing issue. When the bottle stops rotating from the housing not latched together try removing the paper drawer and thump the sheet metal just to the right of the waste bottle section. In a lot of cases the clamshell housing will pop back into place and the bottle will turn again.