Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    TA-3551ci/Slow printing large jobs - color only.

Re: TA-3551ci/Slow printing large jobs - color only.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Older machines, like the VoyagerE, FalconIII and Stratos would not talk to a SSD. That may have changed since then.

So you don't know what the workaround was? =^..^=

The workaround was to print in black & white. He said that's all they really need but I want to fix the problem Will be following up next week.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

OMG embarrassing

Yep I am out

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    OMG embarrassing

Yep I am out

I'm getting past tired of you.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I always like to follow up.
    "Instead of using "KPDL", I have always used PCL 5c for color machines."

KPDL (Kyocera's Native Print language) is an emulated Postscript. Even when using the PCL settings. some commands are sent in KDPL (Source Tray for example).
    PDF's are also written in Postscript, so the code conversion is minimal when using a PS driver. When using a PCL driver to Print PS documents like PDF's, there is a greater rendering processing overhead and code conversion.

This increases processing and the potential for errors. Back in the day it would be font substitution errors but these days it tends to be more graphics and colors that may not render accurately from PDF documents.

Under Security Settings: Check "manage this printer" and "manage documents."

This is OK ONLY if each user prints directly to the Printer, not in a Server environment. Manage Printer rights allow the user to change Printer Properties and have those settings push to the server and back to other clients as defaults.

If you are using multiple clients printing directly to the printer, then when more than one user is printing, only the 'First-IN' job gets processed, all other print connections go on TCP Keep Alive (a standby condition where the job sits in the local queue) and stop transmitting data until the first job is done. This can appear as slow printing by the second and subsequent users.

Under Advanced: Enable "start printing immediately" and "print spooled documents first".
    Should be fine.

Under Configure Port: Uncheck "SNMP". (This is supposed to help if you're having problems with PDF's)
    Generally SNMP alone provides feedback from device to set queue offline during trouble, may not have effect on print performance.

LPR port types use the additional 'Enable SNMP Byte Count' setting as an error checking step which increases the network traffic and can slow performance for large documents.

Also, my understanding on other things than can cause slow printing are: memory and hard drive. No?
    YES. Recently had a FAX failure (noise in the middle of reception fax) which wound up being the Memory module on the Main PWB (not the extra FAX chip)

Print the PDF directly on the device via USB as a device test outside of driver and network issues.
    Last edited by PrintWhisperer; 09-22-2022 at 05:01 PM.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    "Instead of using "KPDL", I have always used PCL 5c for color machines."

KPDL (Kyocera's Native Print language) is an emulated Postscript. Even when using the PCL settings. some commands are sent in KDPL (Source Tray for example).
    PDF's are also written in Postscript, so the code conversion is minimal when using a PS driver. When using a PCL driver to Print PS documents like PDF's, there is a greater rendering processing overhead and code conversion.

This increases processing and the potential for errors. Back in the day it would be font substitution errors but these days it tends to be more graphics and colors that may not render accurately from PDF documents.

Under Security Settings: Check "manage this printer" and "manage documents."

This is OK ONLY if each user prints directly to the Printer, not in a Server environment. Manage Printer rights allow the user to change Printer Properties and have those settings push to the server and back to other cliewnts as defaults.

If you are using multiple clients printing directly to the printer, then when more than one user is printing, only the 'First-IN' job gets processed, all other print connections go on TCP Keep Alive and stop transmitting until the first job is done. This can appear as slow printing by the second and subsequent users.

Under Advanced: Enable "start printing immediately" and "print spooled documents first".
    Should be fine.

Under Configure Port: Uncheck "SNMP". (This is supposed to help if you're having problems with PDF's)
    Generally SNMP alone provides feedback from device to set queue offline during trouble, may not have effect on print performance.

LPR port types use the additional 'Enable SNMP Byte Count' setting as an error checking step which increases the network traffic and can slow performance for large documents.

Also, my understanding on other things than can cause slow printing are: memory and hard drive. No?
    YES. Recently had a FAX failure (noise in the middle of reception fax) which wound up being the Memory module on the Main PWB (not the extra FAX chip)

Print the PDF directly on the device via USB as a device test outside of driver and network issues.

Hey, man, I really appreciate all of that information.

As a sidenote....one thing that I've noticed about you is that you know your stuff inside and out. There's a couple of you on here that when you speak, I listen to every word.

Thanks again, man.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Hey, man, I really appreciate all of that information.

As a sidenote....one thing that I've noticed about you is that you know your stuff inside and out. There's a couple of you on here that when you speak, I listen to every word.

Thanks again, man.
    No problem. As much as I have been educated in science and technology, most of what I learned about fixing machines comes from actually fixing machines.

Things keep changing and sometimes the old 'tricks' don't work the same.

People who take the time to gather data and provide feedback are actually helping me learn, so thank YOU man.
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    No problem. As much as I have been educated in science and technology, most of what I learned about fixing machines comes from actually fixing machines.

Things keep changing and sometimes the old 'tricks' don't work the same.

People who take the time to gather data and provide feedback are actually helping me learn, so thank YOU man.

I was out of the copier business for many years and now I'm an independent...which means that I haven't been to school on any of the newer Kyocera machines. I've picked up a ton of knowledge on here but still have things to learn and sometimes that means actually encountering a new problem and coming here to ask questions.

I love to learn new things and talking to good techs. Cheers.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

AMEN!!!... Sites like this are very few & far between, that being said... I love this site & the help I have received & given. I appreciate each one of you & will always try to help in any way I can. I too have network problems & try not to step on toes, but listening & researching always seems to be a huge help. I've been doing office equipment since 1986, I like to think I have been blessed in this industry and know what I am good at & what to stay away from (networking...LOL) I am the mechanical hands on guy & will tackle most any machine out there, but the I.T. side I try to let the pros handle that. I hope you get this color thing handled & post when you find the remedy....

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I hope this isn't off topic but.....

Here are the things I do when installing a KX driver. One does not have to be a dealer to be able to go to (in the US) Product Support & Downloads | Kyocera Document Solutions America and download the latest KX driver. Once downloaded and unzipped (I usually put the unzipped folder on the memory stick I have with various other printer driver from other manufactures), I look for the Setup.exe file and click on it to run (at this point I am on the pc that I will be setting up the print driver).

Once I have clicked thru the two pop up windows, I click on ‘Uninstall’ before installing the driver. I have found that the Kyocera installer has a really great uninstaller. When I click on ‘Uninstall’ in the next window I check ‘Select All’ then the ‘Uninstall’ button by the ‘Exit’ button. If for some reason the items listed do not uninstall, I do a search for ‘Services’. In the ‘Services’ window, I find ‘Print Spooler’ and right click on it. In the pop-up menu, I choose ‘Restart’. I close it all up then go back to the Kyocera installer and run ‘Uninstall’ again. This usually gets rid of everything listed and by doing so (this is the important part) I decrease the chances of any remnant of any older Kyocera driver to cause problems in the future.

The next thing to do is to actually install the driver. I never, ever, never, ever choose the ‘Express Install’. To me ‘Express Install’ installs all the stuff that the user does not need and usually install the driver with a WSD port if one is not paying attention. I always choose ‘Custom Install’ in the Kyocera installer. If the machine is properly installed on the network, it will be listed. I always choose the machine with the IP address, not mac address. Below that I choose the 'KX DRIVER', never, ever the 'KX DRIVER for Universal Printing'. I then click on the ‘Utilities’ tab and add Fonts. I never add the Status Monitor because it just makes a bunch of pop up that the customer will at some point call me back out to uninstall.

I then click on the ‘Install’ button, then choose ‘No’ on the next pop up. In the next pop up, I uncheck ‘Set Duplex as Default’ and ‘Show Quick Print tab’ then click on the Finish button.
    If I am installing a color machine, I always ask the customer if they wish the printing default to be black and white (I know, it’s just black, the paper is white) or color. If they want color, I set the preference to Auto Color, not Color. And I do this under the ‘Printer Defaults…’ button in the ‘Advance’ tab of the print driver.

That’s the way I set up a Kyocera print driver using the Kyocera installer. I could go into detail on why I do what I do at each step, but not today (PM me if you really want to know). The above procedure has served me well as I don't seem to experience printing issues I have read from time to time in regards to printing to Kyocera devices.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

You know, I wish these things were actually taught, instead of stumbled across bit-by-bit. That's the geat thing about Copytechnet.

Thanks to PrintWhisperer & Samanator for filling in another gap in my skill set. I hope I can return the favor some day.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=