Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    TA-3551ci/Slow printing large jobs - color only.

I received a call this morning and they complained that when they run a print job of about 50 pages that the first 10-15 come out fast. After that, it takes about 20-30 seconds between pages. And they said that black and white does't have this problem....it's on color only.

I'll be going out there in the morning.

Ideas?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: TA-3551ci/Slow printing large jobs - color only.

what print driver are they using? what's the settings on the resolution for the prints? does it only occur on 1 pc or more than 1?

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    what print driver are they using? what's the settings on the resolution for the prints? does it only occur on 1 pc or more than 1?

All good questions, but I won't be sure until I go there in the morning. Their IT guy had been using a PCL driver but he changed to KX with no change in speed.

He said it's slow from all PC's.

I plan to hook up my laptop via crossover cable and rule out the network. When I have more information, I will update.

its not the network 100% percent

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

tell him to completely get rid of any old unused drivers, including the kx he may have installed... Get the latest KX driver.. I have seen this problem way too many times & 95% of the time it is a driver issue. Several of my customers with Same issue, 50 pages or more & it will pause like you think the job is done, only to find out there is still 30 or more to print... print 4 or 5 pages & it will pause a minute & then print a few more.... I really think yours is same remedy... Dump whatever drivers that arn't being used including the KX he installed & start over. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by copykat93 View Post
    tell him to completely get rid of any old unused drivers, including the kx he may have installed... Get the latest KX driver.. I have seen this problem way too many times & 95% of the time it is a driver issue. Several of my customers with Same issue, 50 pages or more & it will pause like you think the job is done, only to find out there is still 30 or more to print... print 4 or 5 pages & it will pause a minute & then print a few more.... I really think yours is same remedy... Dump whatever drivers that arn't being used including the KX he installed & start over. Hope this helps

That's a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copykat93 View Post
    Kyocera has a utility call "Deleter". It removes all related print driver files, so you can start from scratch with a clean install.

First though, I would connect my laptop, and ping back to a local PC, to see the ping times.

I had a case in which every 30 seconds or so the ping times would degrade, there would be 4 or 5 NG, then it would speed back up again. It was a very large building, and I think personally that the network cable was close to the 100meter limit.

I had another case at the same location, in which the enduser was using the company printer to print fine resolution graphic photos in which the images were Arch E and larger sizes. With this case the weird part was that two machines side-by-side ... one was slow, one was normal. The first logical thing to do was swap machines on the network jacks. It wasn't the specific machine, it was the jack. Then I swapped driver ports, and the problem remained on that jack. Then I followed the cables. From the copier it went to the surge suppressor with 50' ft of cable, then to a VOIP box with 50' of cord, then to the wall jack with 50' of cord. The jack was right behind the machine, LOL. With (3) 3' cables it sped up some. When I removed the surge suppressor it was a bit faster. When I removed the 10MB/s VOIP box it perked right up. It's like a funnel (the network will run at only the slowest network speed in the chain). The funny thing, was these drawings had nothing to do with work. The enduser was a photographer in his spare time, and preferred the image quality of the machines at work. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 09-20-2022 at 09:55 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

The first thing to do is open up the queue window from a problem pc and watch a problem job go through.

No mention of if a server is involved so I'm sure you'll check if it's direct port and what type, spool settings, etc.

This bit about the IT guy switching from PCL to KX is strange as the KX is PCL as well as PS(KPDL) or 'Multi-PDL'.
    You just change the PDL setting in the properties.

It should be set to KDPL for color files, especially PDFs.

What ever was being used which was NOT the KX driver won't interfere, but old versions of the KX driver will. The KX package installer should have an option to update existing drivers, but may only see installed printers and not drivers for uninstalled print objects. You have to go into Print Management to see all drivers and versions.

If it's leaving the PC and slow at the machine, of course look at MM989 and scan the HDD. I don't remember if the RAM was still removeable on that gen.

Clean up that driver mess and CHARGGGGGE-IT!
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

I always like to follow up. I don't really have anything to report other than the IT guy at this company has been a good friend of mine for over 20-years and he got hired on at this company because he was helping me install the copiers a few years ago. They used to use an outside company for their server and networking but hired my friend after meeting him. So, that's the backstory....

I was scheduled to go out there yesterday morning but my friend called and said that he found a workaround and it really wasn't urgent. I told him to uninstall any old drivers and to use the settings that Print Whisperer recommended. Those were the same settings that I always use with 1 exception:

Instead of using "KPDL", I have always used PCL 5c for color machines.

Other settings that I always use. Please correct me if it's wrong.

Under Security Settings: Check "manage this printer" and "manage documents."

Under Advanced: Enable "start printing immediately" and "print spooled documents first".

Under Configure Port: Uncheck "SNMP". (This is supposed to help if you're having problems with PDF's)

Also, my understanding on other things than can cause slow printing are: memory and hard drive. No?

BTW: Has anyone ever tried using SSD in a Kyocera?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Older machines, like the VoyagerE, FalconIII and Stratos would not talk to a SSD. That may have changed since then.

So you don't know what the workaround was? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=