Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Copy Star Ri4030

The following are 3 pics(hopefully in order) of samples of my question as to what would cause this. I have two identical machines at this location and swapped the developing, drum, and transfer units and couldn't duplicate. 2nd pic is from text customer sent me. 1st pic is first copy I made. 3rd pic is last copy I made.
    Thanks!!!

img078.jpgimg077.jpgimg079.jpg

Technician

Re: Copy Star Ri4030

Main charge grid shorted. Burnt the drum probably. Dumpster that machine, way so obsolete brother.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Copy Star Ri4030

When I look around for information on the Ri4030 I see that it uses many of the same parts as the 3035. My service library only goes back to the 3035/4035/5035 series. The release date for the 3035/4035/5035 series was (according to Technical Bulletin 1) 10/01/03.

I am going to reach out a bit and speculate that the 4030 came before the 4035. That's turn of the century equipment.

At some point the customer needs to realize that they have obtained their moneys worth out of this equipment and should upgrade.

IMHO, even if you guys upgraded them to a 4500i or 4501i it would be better than what they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by kenoking View Post
    Main charge grid shorted. Burnt the drum probably. Dumpster that machine, way so obsolete brother.
    Would love too if I had the money. These are month to month rentals. Would your response be for the existing drum unit??? I question because as I stated I have two of these copiers (the 4030 I believe is equivalent to the KM2530 maybe faster) I took said burnt drum to other copier and it works??? I do prefer the older equipment cheaper to maintain in renting. Prefer Ricoh over Kyocera. Kyocera can’t be serviced everything has to be replaced and quite expensive. Newer Ricohs have gone that route. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    When I look around for information on the Ri4030 I see that it uses many of the same parts as the 3035. My service library only goes back to the 3035/4035/5035 series. The release date for the 3035/4035/5035 series was (according to Technical Bulletin 1) 10/01/03.

I am going to reach out a bit and speculate that the 4030 came before the 4035. That's turn of the century equipment.

At some point the customer needs to realize that they have obtained their moneys worth out of this equipment and should upgrade.

IMHO, even if you guys upgraded them to a 4500i or 4501i it would be better than what they have now.
    I rent the copier out to customer it would be that would have to upgrade. Not able at this time. Thanks!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Copy Star Ri4030

That explains a lot.

Thanks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copy Star Ri4030

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post

The service manual is dated 7/31/2002, and yes it precedes the FalconII. It's the fastest variation of the FalconI.

Another thing that you can look at:
    A close relative, the Stratos would begin to arc from the HV terminal on the rear frame to the contact on the primary charge unit. There were obvious burn marks. Often, simply filing away the burnt area, and bending the terminal was enough to restore function.

Also, on FalconII and FalconIII devices the drum unit drive coupler had a tendency to gum up over time (and you've had about 20 years for that to happen). If a person were to remove the drum unit, rotate the drum a few rotations, then attempt to reinstall it, the coupler often will not slide in to allow the engagement, possibly making poor contact to the charge terminals. When I changed drum units, I would add some light oil (Triflow) to the coupler and work it back/forth to make sure it was free. On couplers that had not been lubricated it takes a good bit of effort to free them up again.

Here's another consideration:
    Do you remember the toner cartridges coming with a grid cleaner device, wrapped in silver mylar foil? I do. Most customers just ignored it, which was great ... preferred. Every once in a while you'd get a customer that would read the instructions, and try to clean the grid. It almost always went badly. For some reason, endusers could never get the primary charge unit back in correctly ... often ending up with black copies.

As much as I loved the Falcon series, it's just not feasible to keep them running without parts. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The service manual is dated 7/31/2002, and yes it precedes the FalconII. It's the fastest variation of the FalconI.

Another thing that you can look at:
    A close relative, the Stratos would begin to arc from the HV terminal on the rear frame to the contact on the primary charge unit. There were obvious burn marks. Often, simply filing away the burnt area, and bending the terminal was enough to restore function.

Also, on FalconII and FalconIII devices the drum unit drive coupler had a tendency to gum up over time (and you've had about 20 years for that to happen). If a person were to remove the drum unit, rotate the drum a few rotations, then attempt to reinstall it, the coupler often will not slide in to allow the engagement, possibly making poor contact to the charge terminals. When I changed drum units, I would add some light oil (Triflow) to the coupler and work it back/forth to make sure it was free. On couplers that had not been lubricated it takes a good bit of effort to free them up again.

Here's another consideration:
    Do you remember the toner cartridges coming with a grid cleaner device, wrapped in silver mylar foil? I do. Most customers just ignored it, which was great ... preferred. Every once in a while you'd get a customer that would read the instructions, and try to clean the grid. It almost always went badly. For some reason, endusers could never get the primary charge unit back in correctly ... often ending up with black copies.

As much as I loved the Falcon series, it's just not feasible to keep them running without parts. =^..^=
    Thanks!!! Feeling it has to be something with copier since I could not duplicate on the other copier.
    one other question is the fax option the same for the KM2530 and the KM3035. I had to swap out copiers and put the fax option from the KM2530 to the KM3035 got a error code( can only remember C9__. I did look it up but what info I had on that copier didn’t list it??? Thinking it was for fax and either not compatible or a problem with fax PCB; unless there is something else that has to be performed besides installing hardware.
    thanks!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copy Star Ri4030

They're both fax option "J". I don't think that the fax option can work without the memory upgrade. Were it me, I would walk through the installation, to make sure everything is there and installed correctly, and turned ON. See attached: =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    They're both fax option "J". I don't think that the fax option can work without the memory upgrade. Were it me, I would walk through the installation, to make sure everything is there and installed correctly, and turned ON. See attached: =^..^=
    Thank-you; always a pleasure hearing from you & your insights!!!