Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Work Flow question?

Work Flow question?

A while back KYO_OEM shared a work flow program that I guess he wrote. This workflow is stored on USB drive and basically you open it @ U952. When opened it shows a tab for every maintenance item. When you select the "drum" tab, for instance, it displays every simulation that you must run in the correct order. You must complete the first simulation before it allows you to move to the next one. I find this very handy but unfortunately it doesn't work on the 2-series and higher.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I would go about writing my own workflow? Thanks in advance.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Work Flow question?

Re: Work Flow question?

I finally figure this shit out.

First, I learned how to create a workflow in the machine via U952. That was simple. However, it was inadequate compared to the workflow via USB given to me by KYO.

After doing a little research, I discovered that I needed to create a .mwf file via PC and enter the data for every simulation for each component replaced. By doing it this way I can also rename the "tabs" to anything I desire (drum, developer, PCR, ect.). Then I save to USB.

It's all done and tested. Now I can create a workflow for any model.

Work Flow question?

There doesn't seem to be much interest in WorkFlow but I'm kinda exited about it. I'd love to get some feedback on my thought process.

I've been training the new guy and one of the things that I've drilled into his head is that when a supply item (DR, DV, FUSER) is replaced that a group of simulations need to be run. I've taught him how to find the information in the service manual and even printed the information out for all the supply items. I even created a cheat sheet for him that lists all the supply items along with the simulations.

In addition, I've started letting him do some refurbs. I told him when refurbing a machine, the very first thing that he needs to know is the count usage for the supplies (DR, DV, Fuser, ect.) and how many pages that the supplies are rated for. That way it will help him determine if it's getting time for a PM.

All of this adds up to having to 1.) memorize a lot of simulations or 2.) refer to the service manual.

Personally, I don't have all of these simulations memorized. I have a lot of them committed to memory, but not all. And that forces me to look at my cheat-sheet.

Well, because I've learned how to set up a workflow, I've incorporated all of the simulations needed when replacing a supply item and for checking all counters. I find it faster than looking it up in the service manual or pulling out my cheat-sheet. Plus, it makes it much easier for a tech in training.

Do you guys have the simulations committed to memory? Or how do you look them up? Manual? Cheat-sheet? WorkFlow? Just curious.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Work Flow question?

For the last 15 years I've been carrying these pocket notebooks. They're 81mm wide x 139mm high ... fits nicely in a shirt pocket. There are 42 pages to the book. I print them 2-up on LTR. It contains:

*1 front, 1 rear cover (4 sides)
    *6 sides Mileage Log
    *3 sides Notes
    *3 sides Parts Transfers
    *56 sides Invoices
    *10 sides PM Simultations

Honestly, I never needed to memorize the Kyocera simulations since I've been working on them for over 30yrs, and they stay consistent across most of the product lines. It's different with Toshiba. With each technology change the simulations change quite a lot.

I've altered the number of the pages quite a few times. The book starts getting ragged after 3 weeks, so there's no point in having more pages than can be used in that time. The books fit nicely in a standard sized Lexmark parts box. 15yrs worth fits easily in 3 boxes (smaller than a shoebox).

I don't really have any sort of long term memory, so when I'm asked about a call that happen 5 yrs or 5 months or 5 days or 5 minutes ago, there's a summary of what happened. And I don't remember any of them equally well. =^..^=

20230115_100426_Burst01.jpg20230115_100319_resized.jpg
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Work Flow question?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    For the last 15 years I've been carrying these pocket notebooks. They're 81mm wide x 139mm high ... fits nicely in a shirt pocket. There are 42 pages to the book. I print them 2-up on LTR. It contains:

*6 sides Mileage Log
    *3 sides Notes
    *3 sides Parts Transfers
    *56 sides Invoices

Honestly, I never needed to memorize the Kyocera simulations since I've been working on them for over 30yrs, and they stay consistent across most of the product lines. It's different with Toshiba. With each technology change the simulations change quite a lot.

I've altered the number of the pages quite a few times. The book starts getting ragged after 3 weeks, so there's no point in having more pages than can be used in that time. The books fit nicely in a standard sized Lexmark parts box. 15yrs worth fits easily in 3 boxes (smaller than a shoebox).

I don't really have any sort of long term memory, so when I'm asked about a call that happen 5 yrs or 5 months or 5 days or 5 minutes ago, there's a summary of what happened. And I don't remember any of them equally well. =^..^=

You old wise cat never stop to amaze me 🤣
    Old techs seems to have a bunch of tricks in every pocket.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Work Flow question?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

*6 sides Mileage Log
    *3 sides Notes
    *3 sides Parts Transfers
    *56 sides Invoices

You have to be the most organized person that I've seen. And I'm not kidding. Being organized is something I'm constantly trying to improve. I'm nowhere near your level of organization.

You're right, the simulations needed when replacing a drum, dv, fuser, ect. are similar on most models but they do change somewhat. Not only from one product line to another but from low-end to high-end and it's those slight changes that trip me up. That's why workflow is great for me. It keeps me from making a mistake.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

For authorized dealers , kyocea has an mobile app called NAVI. There you can now find the parts,service manual and even scan bar codes to get part numbers. It is a recent introduction and works mainly with newer models, but they are working to improving it. It is mainly for road techs.
    Lexmark also has the mobile tech app that has manuals parts, drivers ect, which is great.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Work Flow question?

When you get a new Kyocera, drum, fuser, or developer, there is always a sheet in there in different languages. This sheet usually contains what needs to be run when replacing that part. in the zero and one series, the sheet had a list for all there units and what to run for image adjustment. Starting with the two series, these sheets were more specific to the part in the box.

I have attached one from the zero and one series and one from a DK-8350 drum for a 2552ci.

Once I turn them into a PDF, I upload them to my phone for easy access.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files