Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    306ci/307ci ticking noise

I have 3 of these in my shop doing this. 2 306ci's and 1 307ci. It's coming from the transfer belt drive. I can remove the transfer belt and turn the belt drive gear in the machine and hear the noise. I know I could tear it apart and find the noise, but that's a heck of a job. Looks like the motor would be removed from the rear ,but the rest of the drive assy would need to be accessed from the front since it is at the rear of the cavity. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

Re: 306ci/307ci ticking noise

We've had a few of these too. Not sure if it's the same noise your describing, but for us the plastic housing was cracked around the gear that drives the transfer belt causing gear skip. I don't think there's even a part you can order to fix it, and if you did try to replace it you'd have to tear most of the machine apart to do so. We've had success just using super or Gorilla glue to give it enough strength to prevent the noise.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    We've had a few of these too. Not sure if it's the same noise your describing, but for us the plastic housing was cracked around the gear that drives the transfer belt causing gear skip. I don't think there's even a part you can order to fix it, and if you did try to replace it you'd have to tear most of the machine apart to do so. We've had success just using super or Gorilla glue to give it enough strength to prevent the noise.
    If it's that brief sound of gears skipping at warm-up then the above answer is 100% correct. And I'll add. a tricky little bugger to diagnose.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    If it's that brief sound of gears skipping at warm-up then the above answer is 100% correct. And I'll add. a tricky little bugger to diagnose.
    It's not a brief sound. It makes the sound the whole time it's printing. I've got the transfer motor out along with the gears that are mounted to it. The noise is not there. I haven't seen a crack yet. Been looking for one.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I had one that make noise at startup of the printing process. using the super-slow-mo feature of my phone camera, I bypassed the side door interlock to watch the transfer belt drive, and saw that the drive motor plate was bending under the strain and having very little structural support for forces acting in that particular direction. It was quite high-mileage by that point and I already put a new transfer belt and a lot of other service parts to keep it alive. I added a screw to it as close as I could get to the limit of the unsupported area of the plate, which helped somewhat, but was ultimately returned pretty soon thereafter, so it became a lost-cause and the machine was "retired" out back of the customer's premesis.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well it was the toner supply unit. After calling Kyocera tech support twice about this and they tell me they don't know anything about it, my coworker found a service bulletin on it, 2R4-0030 (I155). 16 page bulletin! Dated 10/18/2018. Says 3-4 hour job! Not sure why toner supply turns with transfer belt but it does. Explains why I also heard the noise when I ran U132, forcible toner supply. Another symptom is toner empty cannot be resolved, Because the toner, any color, is clogged up in the toner supply unit.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Copier Mechanic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
    Well it was the toner supply unit. After calling Kyocera tech support twice about this and they tell me they don't know anything about it, my coworker found a service bulletin on it, 2R4-0030 (I155). 16 page bulletin! Dated 10/18/2018. Says 3-4 hour job! Not sure why toner supply turns with transfer belt but it does. Explains why I also heard the noise when I ran U132, forcible toner supply. Another symptom is toner empty cannot be resolved, Because the toner, any color, is clogged up in the toner supply unit.

Mostly likely caused from using cheap toner. They clump up inside.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Copier Mechanic View Post
    Mostly likely caused from using cheap toner. They clump up inside.
    No. We were using only OEM toner. Kyocera says it’s caused by not shaking the toner bottle enough before installing it.