Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Copier Mechanic's Avatar

Compatible Toner affects OEM developer??

Hello my friends,

So today I overheard my boss talking to my service manager about compatible toners (3162) which is for M3645idn / M3145idn / P3045dn is affecting the developer. They are having to constantly swap out the developer too often. They want to start using OEM toners from now and on to prevent that problem.

Now my question is: How does compatible toner uses up the developer so quick that it needs replacement very soon? If anyone recognizes this issues, can you explain why this happens? Thanks in advances!!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Compatible Toner affects OEM developer??

Quote Originally Posted by Copier Mechanic View Post
    Hello my friends,

So today I overheard my boss talking to my service manager about compatible toners (3162) which is for M3645idn / M3145idn / P3045dn is affecting the developer. They are having to constantly swap out the developer too often. They want to start using OEM toners from now and on to prevent that problem.

Now my question is: How does compatible toner uses up the developer so quick that it needs replacement very soon? If anyone recognizes this issues, can you explain why this happens? Thanks in advances!!!!

It doesn't use up developer. The new toner from the new bottle doesn't mix well with the toner still left in the developer unit causing grey background and streaking.

At this point you can completely clean the developer unit of ALL toner and insert a new toner to correct the issue or replace the developer with a new unit and toner.
    Or just use OEM and not have the problem in the first place.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

It’s mono component toner in these machines. To fix, have a spare new OEM toner on hand. Go into the service settings and enter New Developer. Turn machine off, remove the developer unit and clean out all the toner from it completely. Refit, fit new OEM toner and turn machine on. It will run for 10 mins or so adding toner. Once it’s done you’ll be good to go. I’d probably give the MC-3100 main charge roller a good clean too as these get clogged with the incompatible toner and cause their own issues with print quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Kyocera machines have issues with compatible toner. If you use compatible toner try to find one that works fine with this macjines. Also use the same toner not going from one toner to other.
    Clean the developer unit from remainning toner and then use U130 /
    If there is a problem with a bad toner you have to clean developer unit from remainning toner and U130. Even if you indent to use compatible toner id better this firste toner to be genuin and then to use compatible but good quality toner . Keep using the same toner

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Not much that I can add to that.

Only that toner serves multiple functions in a copier:
    1) it forms the visible image on the paper
    2) it lubricates cleaning blade(s)
    3) it must fuse within a specific temperature range
    4) it must remain granular in the toner feed system, in the developing unit, and in the waste collection system.
    5) it has very specific electronic & magnetic properties

If any one of these varies too far from the standard, you may see:
    1) poor image quality
    2) flipped cleaning blade(s) or toner buildup on drum or transfer belt
    3) poor fusing or toner adhering to fuser rollers
    4) seized up toner feed auger(s), developing augers(s), or waste collection auger(s)
    5) toner dumping in the machine, poor image quality. When developer powder is present: poor regulation of developer density.

All of these are extremely common. That discount price that you pay for the cheap toner does not begin to cover the costs of trying to maintain the machine running it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=