Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Copier Mechanic's Avatar

What is SKY SHOT used for?

hey guys,

Since I am fairly new to the copier industry, I wanted to ask here about the SKY SHOT thing that I have heard. What is exactly is it used for???

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: What is SKY SHOT used for?

Sky shot could be done in service mode to run full density pages to remove excess toner from DV units. It can also refer to lifting the ADF and making copies off the platen glass without a page on it.
    This is not to be confused with "the money shot" which is copying your ass off the glass.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

sky shot with the adf open would show you if you are getting full coverage over the entire printable area? hope i said that right.... someone else might explain it better.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Lol.

Note: Do not use sky shots as an image quality test for black images. Depending on the angle of the room lights, you can get unaccountable gray shadows. I've wasted an embarrassing amount of time trying to fix those anomalies, only to later discover it was caused by room lights.

If your objective is to consume toner out of the developer mix (and that is a legitimate purpose), create an electronic image 8 1/2 x 11, with 25mm wide lead and trail voids, so you won't have to fish those heavy fill images out of the fuser, when they try to wrap onto the fuser roller. I might have an example:

Another reason you might want a skyshot is setting nipp width. That same electronic image works better than the sky shot. =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Lol.

Note: Do not use sky shots as an image quality test for black images. Depending on the angle of the room lights, you can get unaccountable gray shadows. I've wasted an embarrassing amount of time trying to fix those anomalies, only to later discover it was caused by room lights.

If your objective is to consume toner out of the developer mix (and that is a legitimate purpose), create an electronic image 8 1/2 x 11, with 25mm wide lead and trail voids, so you won't have to fish those heavy fill images out of the fuser, when they try to wrap onto the fuser roller. I might have an example:

Another reason you might want a skyshot is setting nipp width. That same electronic image works better than the sky shot. =^..^=

thanks for the info sir. never considered that might be a factor, lights in the room...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    thanks for the info sir. never considered that might be a factor, lights in the room...
    ... two drums, and a developer change later ... yes, I learned the hard way. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I use primarily to test toner supply issues.

Another helpful hint: Place a blank sheet an inch or two on the left side of the glass. That way you will have a nice white lead edge to avoid fuser jams, but still get the affects of a skyshot.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Back in the olden days of analog copiers, we had to use sky shots in order to check the nip width.

You would turn the machine off when the copy was about halfway through the fuser.

After doing that a few times, I determined that making a copy (with the cover closed) of a letter sized sheet of black construction paper was a much more civilized alternative.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

Cool Re: What is SKY SHOT used for?

A sky shot can also be used to do a fusing unit test. If the coating is worn on the hot roller, you will see the tracks/pattern in the solids of the sky shot. (Which will also be visible in offset for a few pages thereafter). This is especially useful on models that have fusing unit components that are not easily viewed.

It can also be used to demonstrate the void edges to a customer who likes to print to the edge of the paper and is complaining that some of their border lines are not being printed.

As previously mentioned, it can be used to deplete the developer of toner. Useful if you want to trigger an add toner cycle and can't be bothered running it in service mode.

The sky shot can even expose extreme humidity in paper. (The dampest part will have less toner). Although the rubbing the back of your fingers across the paper and feeling cool rather than neutral temperature is also a good way to spot check humid paper.

Net+ PDI+ @Remote

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post

As previously mentioned, it can be used to deplete the developer of toner. Useful if you want to trigger an add toner cycle and can't be bothered running it in service mode.
    If I replace a toner motor or hopper, I prefer the sky shots vs service mode because: 1) It mimics real-world usage, therefore lessening the chance of a callback. 2) I can monitor the quality for consistency. That said, I usually sneak out all the printouts to not raise any eyebrows with the customer